Simplistic Engineering Vs Modern Figures.....

PuertoRiCON

I keep a few G1 figures because of nostalgia. I hate the non poseability of G1 transformers. That's why I like the newer figures. And you can't deny, some of the G1 toys just look plain corny today. Megatron is the worst offender, and Optimus is pretty corny looking too. Optimus' arms are stuck too close to his side and his forearms are too long and slender. Add in the fact that his legs should have been able to slide out further to the base of his hips to give a more proportional stance. But, this was cutting edge technology back then and so I can't knock them.

I always think the most failure in old G1 toys is ratchet and ironhide. They are nowhere near a robot at all. They are more like a turret base.

I'm on the side of modern figure, although I keep G1 as sentimental toys. I like articulation for most reason. But..I honestly can't see CHUG as modernization of G1. CHUG is more like 'another line based on G1' for me. Instead, now I'm looking forward to MP10 onwards as modernization of G1.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep a few G1 figures because of nostalgia. I hate the non poseability of G1 transformers. That's why I like the newer figures. And you can't deny, some of the G1 toys just look plain corny today. Megatron is the worst offender, and Optimus is pretty corny looking too. Optimus' arms are stuck too close to his side and his forearms are too long and slender. Add in the fact that his legs should have been able to slide out further to the base of his hips to give a more proportional stance. But, this was cutting edge technology back then and so I can't knock them.

I always think the most failure in old G1 toys is ratchet and ironhide. They are nowhere near a robot at all. They are more like a turret base.

I'm on the side of modern figure, although I keep G1 as sentimental toys. I like articulation for most reason. But..I honestly can't see CHUG as modernization of G1. CHUG is more like 'another line based on G1' for me. Instead, now I'm looking forward to MP10 onwards as modernization of G1.

I'm the opposite. I think of Masterpiece line as another line based on G1 and I think of the CHUG line as a modern interpretation of G1. CHUG follows the spirit of G1 as affordable toys you can get your hands on. They have done a good job this far IMO.

i think chug is great. i think mp is great for those that want to shell out the cash. i think there should be something in the middle though. i think the rotf human alliance sets were somewhere in the middle. much nicer than deluxes but not so expensive like mp. i don't think voyagers and the like are nicer than deluxes, just bigger.

i think chug is great. i think mp is great for those that want to shell out the cash. i think there should be something in the middle though. i think the rotf human alliance sets were somewhere in the middle. much nicer than deluxes but not so expensive like mp. i don't think voyagers and the like are nicer than deluxes, just bigger.

Yeah, I can't afford all the MPs, so I select certain ones. Thanks to TRU and Walmart, I'm able to get some of them. As for CHUGs, I really love them!! My favorite G1 characters are now brought to life in a detailed and more poseable way. Take for instance, Inferno. G1 Inferno is an awesome toy, but compared to Generations Inferno, he's no match in he poseability department. And as for the HA toys, those were some very done figures too. I got the HA Jazz figure while on lunch one day and man, I'm so glad I did. He is an awesome toy!!

As a collector since '84, I've picked up figures over the decades from many lines, both original and modern. And given a choice between an 80s figure and one from nearly three decades later, I will nearly always pick the latter. It's not just the complexity of transformation, it's things like better plastic, better joints, and the subtle advantages which come with twenty-plus years of design experience.

That isn't to say I'll always pick the recent stuff. I don't tend to collect great swathes of new material every time a new line comes out - I'm more likely to pick up one or two figures I think work well from an engineering standpoint. Sometimes that means leaving the marketing-driven toys crowding the shelves altogether, and wandering the backlots of eBay and TF swapmeet sites for something simple, solid, and classic from the late 80s or early 90s. And yes, they tend to come with easier transformations. Sometimes it's just fun to have something to fiddle with, even if it's a plastic brick the size of my forearm.

So while I lean towards the modern era, I can see the appeal of the earlier generations. Clunky they may be by comparison, but they don't have quite the same cognitive demand, and that's a fair factor to take into consideration.

Archived