Making RID Optimus NOT suck so much

Sparkless

So back when I got my RID Prime in the post, I opened him up and straight off hated his forarms. I mean, why clear blue??? That wasn't the worst of it though, the face on mine's paint job was smudged to all hell, and just looked awefull, So I recently decided something must eb done to fix this guy.

All in all I have:

Repainted the face and gave it dome better detail

Repainted his sword

Detailed his abdomen section

Applied some more red to his chest area

Painted the rims on his wheels

Gave him a nice new gun, that better fits him than that crappy "powerizer" piece of crap he had.

POP7.jpg

TFPOP3.jpg

POP2.jpg

POP3.jpg

POP5.jpg

TFPOP4.jpg

POP6.jpg

As always, any comments welcomed.

Thanks for looking, hope you like him! :thumb

nice touchups bro :) every little bit adds up :)

I cant stand the clear blue either. Are my eyes playing tricks on me or are the arms clear red now??

I cant customize a bot to save my life, but I really wanted to do something with the clear blue parts. What did you do exactly? I am guessing some sort of neutral base coat with red paint covering it. Am I close?

Believe it or not, I made the arms clear red,......With a red sharpie.

It goes on really easily and doesn't go splotchy either. I was nervous to try it at first, then thought i'd try it. Worst case scenario, i'd have to paint them red.

If doing this on your own figure, I suggest taking the arm apart. That's what I did, so it was easier to colour all areas

IMHO Below:

I would have never bought a new mold TF voyager with messed up color apps on the face/toy. as these come in robot mode. I would have checked out that the paint apps were neatly applied before I bought this.

I honestly don't think the TFP Rid Voyager Optimus toy is worth all this repainting & customizing. As I view this as a terrible mold. I plan to get the TFP Weaponizers optimus mold.

...I really dig the RiD Optimus voyager, and I think he's the greatest.

:lurk

I do love the mold, and I also love how it does not do as much cheating in its transformation as the (admittedly superior) FE toy. The only thing that I truly disliked about the toy that I could not do anything about was the back kibble--so I simply removed it. I do agree that the toy does need paint apps to bring out the details and make it look less bland, but I was up for that from the get-go. Also, I have heard some disparaging things about Dr.Wu and their 3rd party TF accessories, but I picked up a cannon for my Optimus from them, and its been good times ever since. I'm about to snag a couple of their swords, also.

The weird thing about the (justifiable) complaints about the clear blue plastic used for the forearms is that the mold for that portion of the arms is more CGI-faithful than the FE version.

Obviously you didn't read my first post SP, where I mention me getting it in the post. When ordering something from online stores, somebody just picks up the toy and puts it in the parcel to be sent. They don't care about if the face on it looks ok.

And another thing, i'd love to get my hands on an FE Prime, but he's an expensive toy so I'm making do with this figure until the day I do manage to get an FE Optimus. Mind you, if you can afford toys so easily, then by all means, send me one :thumb

• 2 months later...

Personally, I love the RiD Prime mold, even though it did need some additional paint apps, which, of course I gave him. Instead of using a red Sharpie though, I recommend using Tamiya Color X-27 Clear Red. That's what I use.

Shadowpanther, if you don't like the RiD mold, you'll hate the Weaponizers mold, particularly the legs.

Archived