Murder Again!

Breaker

So the original topic is about a million pages long so I'm starting a new topic since some new evidence has been made light.

http://www.bzzurkk.com/2009/09/transformers-tales-of-the-fallen-2-preview/

Follow the link for a five page preview of the upcoming Tales of the Fallen comic, this issue staring Sideswipe. This puts to rest any imaginary ideas that Sideways was his rival. Because all this time he has actually wanted to kill

Demolishor

. Way to tie this into the film boys, oh wait! You didn't!

It means his big conflict goes unresolved.

... and Optimus got another face for the collection.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! That story sound like it would have been a LOT of fun!...

... ya know... IF it had been in the movie.

In other words as much as I like Sideswipe, I am NOT going comic shopping just to find out what his deal is; there was PLENTY of TIME and MONEY with which to do that in the film, and it's not MY fault they spent it all on Bay's paycheck, the explosions, the twins, Leo, and that 8 million dollar so-called "script". I'm not paying extra money to get what the film cheated me out of, and that's FINAL.

I've stopped buying IDW's comics. They're pointless drivel. Maybe if they had started out with a monthly Transformers comic and left it at that, I would still be reading it. Only now, when it's too late, do they decide to do that.

While it does make the Bayverse Autobots look even more unsympathetic and unheroic (which I did not, to be perfectly honest, believe was possible outside of another Bay film), it still does not constitute 'murder' as such. Which is sad, because the more prominent Autobots do come across as such, and there is no dissenting voice among their ranks offering any other viewpoint, which only makes all of them guilty by association in the court of public opinion. Who cares if you're protecting the planet (And causing your own share of destruction, to boot) if we're left to wonder who protects us from you?

I'm more convinced than ever that--while I do like the IDEA of a darker view of the effects the war has had on the Autobots--the concept is in the hands of people who may or may not truly like the franchise, or even worse yet, are truly unequipped to tell a story in which one might feel like these were the heroes and villains I grew up watching interpreted in a mature and modern-day setting, and it pisses me off to no end. The story is soulless, by-the-numbers and completely deriviative. The characters are soulless. Transformers does not need to be Sin f***ing City. It's good alien robots versus BAD alien robots, with the good alien robots--for the most part--taking RESPONSIBILITY for the fact that their war has started anew on an inhabited world. The more prominent Autobots don't seem to give a damn (certainly the ones with the speaking roles), a legion of Primes--even though it's WRONG to harvest our sun because it nourishes at least one inhabited world--don't hesitate to hide a prized artifact that a very functional colleague of theirs WANTS on a world said colleague is familiar with, and to boot, we've got Ironhide talking about how he will 'tear' humans 'apart' and Sideswipe is apparently more of a bloodlusting thug than even Sunstreaker's bio would suggest, and gives less than a damn about humans also. Which is fine. Go right ahead.

But:

Where are the dissenting voices? Where's Bumblebee? Ratchet?? Where is Optimus Prime at in all of this? Where is his voice of reason? The closest we came to that were TWO DEFECTING DECEPTICONS. The familiar phrase 'it is war, and war is ugly' doesn't fly with me. It's hollow. That's OUR reality. OUR world. It's what WE as humans DO. We are, for all intents and purposes, an immature species that does not learn from our mistakes. Cybertronians are a whole different bag. They can see and sense and know things we could never know, and should never know. For starters, they are incredibly complex living computers, and for seconds, they have had millenia to live and experience the horrors of war. If the Bayverse proper (and that includes IDW movie-inspired comics) is going to tell me that a race of beings that should be able to LEARN and ASSIMILATE a lot better than Homo sapiens cannot and does not find some measure of maturity and dignity in the middle of a war that impacts--heavily--neutral targets, than I don't know who the f**k I'm supposed to identify with or root for here, outside of giving the crew of Animated a pat on the back, because they did what no one else is willing to do, apparently, with regards to this franchise.

They gave us HEROES. Call it kid-oriented and simplistic and unrealistic all you want, but they approached the medium with a lot more class, dignity and maturity than I find in the Bayverse in general, and in ROTF in particular.

This should have been entertainment. This movie should have been entertainment. War is not entertainment. This shallow treatment of it is not entertainment. The franchise is/was a perfect vehicle to not glorify, not merely illustrate, but to show and teach of the horrors of war via a fictional franchise based on a toy line, which--nonsensical as it sounds--would have worked, seeing as how people showed up in record-setting numbers to watch it. But in the movie, war got to be shiny and new and cool, with chromed rims and catchphrases and buzz-words and a whole lot of tits and testosterone, and nobody dies expect the bad guys. The good guys get to come back and triumph on the backs of the dead--who acted far more nobly than most of the soldiers on the 'good' side.

And it's so fitting.

When the good guys win, the dead-who gave up their lives so that the good might win--are simply shrugged aside without the slightest hint of acknowledgement.

What kind of soulless Transformer world is it when Optimus Prime is acting just like Megatron?

Yeah Shell. I cant add. I enjoyed the movie for what it was worth but what you are saying is true. Too much time went into the humans so the Transformers was Action ACTION ACTION......thinking later.

I cant read it. Wall'o'text. This is what I was trying to avoid since the original Murder! topic. :lol

:rofl

Oh come on, man. This is nothing. NOTHING. This is nothing compared to some of the Old Testament-length posts in the MURDER! thread. This is like a 45-second Disney Channel Demi Lovato 'music' video in a world full of 13 to 20 minute Meshuggah and Tool videos. Besides, I can't sum it up in one sentence.

'Michael Bay raped my childhood' is already taken.

I agree with pretty much everything Shellformer said, but I have to add that this goes deeper than Bay...

We also must blame Steven Spielberg. Why? Bay didn't want to have anything to DO with Transformers, but Spielberg "encouraged" him and now we're stuck with him; like some neighbor kid who's parents told him to come over to your house because he needed new friends, and when he came over he saw that you have such cool toys and decides to stay. Then he breaks all your toys, but his parents won't punish him because in everyone else's eyes but yours he can do no wrong.

Spielberg! THIS IS YOUR FAULT, TOO!

but getting back to the original topic...

Ya know, honestly I don't even get this need to retroactively turn Sideswipe into "Wolverine"; that's not really what he even seemed like in the movie. (Granted he was barely in it...)

Cocky, yes.

Skilled, yes.

Bloodthirsty Autobot Weapon X: What?

Archived