Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

TFormers Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The MISB dilemma of battery-included toys

Recommended Posts

I got to thinking about the Transformers Animated leader class toys having batteries included and installed pre-package (see the "try me" features on these). The dilemma is if you keep them MISB, these batteries will eventually leak and cause permenant damage to the toy. I've seen what can happen with batteries left in unused electronics and its not pretty. So what do collectors do about this that are OCD about MISB? Do they break the seal in order to preserve the toy from battery damage? Or do they leave it as is? What do organizations like AFA have to say about this issue?

What exactly causes a battery to corrode? Not too long ago I checked the battery compartment of my G1 Galvatron, which has had the same battery in it since 1986, and was amazed to find there was no corrosion (I guess the name Galvatron isn't a misnomer). My old Walkman did not fare as well and had to be tossed. Maybe the climate has something to do with corrosion. I guess it's just a gamble.

  • Author

Downloading the instructions from the hasbro site, I see in there they strongly suggest removing the batteries if you're not going to play with the figures for a long time. So this is a real issue. MISB for these guys several years from now could mean a more risky venture. I've sent an email to AFA asking for their opinion on this matter.

a battery shouldnt corrode if it is not exposed to moisture and button cell batteries dont have the capacity to leak (they dont have fluid in them)

 

if you have a large misb collection, I would store it (i see no need to display misb stuff) near a dehumidifier, whether it has batteries or not, that would extend the life of the packaging as well

  • Author

I believe these figs use double A's, so there is a leak potential. I've read that the circuit merely being "completed" by the electronics causes the corrosion to slowly occur over time, but perhaps this is hastened by moisture as you say.

I have an idea....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

play with the toy... hell if you cant pull a magic trick and pop them out with out opening the box just have some fun with the toy

  • Author

There's an idea... for people who don't worry about MISB collecting. I'm more interested in what AFA has to say about it, since I'm OCD about these things now.

 

Worst comes to worse, I'll end up playing with them. That's not such a horrible thing to have to do :P

I haven't checked my shockwave in 3 years now. Thanks for prompting me to check it.

As a MISB collector, I've never worried about it. I've never seen a AA battery leak enough to destroy anything outside the battery compartment.

 

However, if you do plan on opening the toy and messing around with it, a little vinegar will clean up that corosion.

My G2 Megs had his batteries EXPLODE all over the place once. After that, all batteries came out immediately from all toys, kept in a baggie :D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!
SOCIAL NETWORKS

ToyNewsI MarvelousNews Tformers JediInsider
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the oldest, largest, and most popular news source for adult toy collectors (kidults) all around the world.

Get the scoop every day on all the popular culture action figures, comics, games, movies, toys, and more!

Contact and Support
Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy


All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Please Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.