Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

TFormers Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ikea Cabinets

Recommended Posts

I'm looking to upgrade my storage/display space and I've noticed a lot of collectors here use handsome Ikea cabinets to display their TF's. I know there are Ikea-specific stores, but those are few and far between, and the S/H rates on their website are astronomical. Are there any brick and mortar stores that sell Ikea furniture, or any other way of getting it outside of paying $200+ shipping on a $60 item?

  • Author
I don't know where you're located but they're building one here in OH and should be done before the end of the new year.

 

I'm in MO, so that's not much help. The closest stores are outside Chicago, at least 8-9 hours away. There don't seem to be any in the Midwest/flyover states, which is why I asked if there were any alternatives.

  • 3 weeks later...

Yea they are pretty sparse. The one in Az is all the way on the other side of Phx. Doesn't the website have a store locator that you can search by zip code?

  • Author
Yea they are pretty sparse. The one in Az is all the way on the other side of Phx. Doesn't the website have a store locator that you can search by zip code?

 

Yeah, that's how I learned the nearest store was 8+ hrs away. The real question is, are there any classy/comparable alternatives to the Detolf? And if so, where might one be acquired?

  • 2 weeks later...

The best way is make your own cabinet.

Wow, I'm surprised that Ikea's S&H rates are that high. I wonder if the glass is an issue since its both heavy and fragile?

 

Are there any brick and mortar stores that sell Ikea furniture

No.

 

or any other way of getting it outside of paying $200+ shipping on a $60 item?

I'd say your best bet is to find something equivalent at a local furniture store.

In this economy, stores go out of business all the time. Keep your eye out, you might snag a deal. My friend got a big octagon cabinet from a closing Halmark like store, lights and all, really nice and pretty cheap.

 

I have a couple different plans for a future display case, hope to devote an entire wall of a basement or spare room to accomdate. Have not explored this yet, but might make sense to check out a glass or plexiglass store if you have one, find some tempered glass pieces to make a front with, wood or shelving units for the display area and work with what you can find. Homedepot has several different shelving units, but not all are useable, for example the wire mesh won't work, needs a flat surface.

 

Smaller display cases, like the Ikea ones I think Target has some. There are many small shelf units out and about that can be arranged to hang on the wall with out a huge support system. I used to have the Unicron statue standing atop my CD rack in my living room so use your imagination.

  • Author

Hey guys, thanks for all the input! I thought about building my own shelves, and may do so in the future, but the cost of glass and materials is a little prohibitive. I already have a lot of wooden shelves attached to the walls and whatnot, but I wanted something more presentable for my Alts and MP's to hang out in.

 

I DID end up finding a seller on ebay who sold Detolfs, though, and my understanding is that one was delivered to my home this morning. I had to pay a lot more than I would in store (about $170 after shipping), but much less than Ikea would have charged online.

 

Cross your fingers that it's all in one piece! If the results are good I may purchase another from the same seller.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!
SOCIAL NETWORKS

ToyNewsI MarvelousNews Tformers JediInsider
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the oldest, largest, and most popular news source for adult toy collectors (kidults) all around the world.

Get the scoop every day on all the popular culture action figures, comics, games, movies, toys, and more!

Contact and Support
Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy


All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Please Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.