WIP - Armada Hufftimus Prime

Archammer2

Hiya, folks. I should probably introduce myself. They call me ArcHammer2 (as if you couldn't tell...) I've been a rabid Transformers fan since I was bit a wee lad. An artist by hobby and programmer by profession.

Anywho, enough of that. After spending some time reading through the forums (thanks, all, for giving me your insight, your stories and loads of pics that acted as inspiration for me), I decided it was finally time to try my hand at painting. I just happened to have an extra Optimus Prime laying around (Armada mold, from the Cybertron line... with one reverse-joint leg for some reason). I wondered what I could do with him. After several scrapped ideas, I decided to make him a bit of a gift for my kid (18-year-old) brother... Hufftimus Prime.

As the title suggests, this is a work in progress. I know there are still a lot of areas I need to touch up.

And, sorry for the quality of the photos. My best camera is the one in my phone. Good for anything but close-ups (note how crystal clear some of the backgrounds are. :P)

11-07-07_1824.jpg

11-07-07_1826.jpg

11-07-07_1827.jpg

Aaaaaand the shoulders aren't done yet...

Any comments and/or criticisms are welcome!

Thanks, Jin! Actually, I looked over your guide before I started painting. It gave me a good idea on how to do dry brushing (which really doesn't show on these crappy pics), and... well... It told me that I didn't need to take the whole thing apart and remove every pin to be able to do a good repaint. :P

Good eye. They're "Model Master", but still Testors. The blue is Tamiya, but I'm finding it a bit hard to work with. The Testors, though, is darned nice.

And he's just going to get more orange... I'm thinking the shoulders will be orange, with the light gray for the front bumper (same as the grill). Arms are already painted the same gray, but... I was thinking about adding a stripe of color on the arms (Where the gold was on Armada Prime). Blue might not look so good in vehicle mode... Orange will make him... well, even more orange than he already is... Or I could go with a bit of a black wash around the cracks. I'd appreciate any input from a well-trained eye.

(speaking of well-trained eyes... that middle pic... the cab looks more red than the legs. I hope that's just a trick of the light...)

• 2 weeks later...
Update! He's almost done. I just need to do some touching up here and there and add the Autobot Logo (ordered from reprolabels. I'm not man enough to paint it myself. :P)

11-18-07_1425.jpg

11-18-07_1426.jpg

11-18-07_1427.jpg

Looks very good!! It's hard to see in the pics, is that orange or red?

Yeah, I'm sorry about the quality of the pics. If you could recomend a good (preferably cheap) camera that's good for close-ups, I'd appreciate it. =P

He's orange. Specifically, he's "Insignia Orange" (or so the bottle says).

I just got the labels today and there's... something special about having the Autobot logo on there.

Archived