Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

TFormers Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

3D HoS Shockwave project (update: finished model, simple textures)

Recommended Posts

This is a current side project I'm working on. It's still in progress, as you can see he has no substance to his arms and has no head. I'm still working on the details of the model.

 

when it's done I'll make two models. one that uses a human based skeleton, and one that has a detailed transformation.

 

I've only been working in 3D for a few months, so I'm not that great. Still trying to figure out how to unwrap the skin to make my airbrushed textures. once I figure that out he will get materials.

 

3DSMAX8

 

35,506 polygons. not bad for this complex of a model.

 

I only had time for one render (damn skylight) but I'll try to get a few more tomorrow that better show the details I worked in.

 

I've based everything off of the concept sketch released at the start of the series. None of the shops around me are stocking the series so I don't have any reference pieces to work with. I had to make some mods to the feet mainly to better fit the transformation. In the concept drawings the backs of the end up making too much deck surface for what the alt mode shows, and is logical for the flow of the shape IMO.

 

If anyone has some scans of him that might help they would be apreciated.

 

C & C welcome. :thumb

 

shockwave2dq0.png

 

oh, and if you can't see .png files let me know and I'll convert it.

nice!

 

lookin sharp so far man

really diggin it

WHOANESS

 

That rules

Can we get a wireframe shot?

 

Also, are you panning on using procedurals, or are you going to fully UV Map it and paint up a texture?

  • Author
Can we get a wireframe shot?

 

Also, are you panning on using procedurals, or are you going to fully UV Map it and paint up a texture?

I'll work on the wireframe. right now I'm in the middle of finishing the arms, so I'll probably wait until I have all the rough model done before re rendering.

 

as for the skin I do plan on skin wraping with an airbrushed UVW. IMO models that have them allways look a little better, and you can really get the details (like the rivets on this guy) much easier with a skin and bump map.

 

thx for the good words guys. :thumb

You might have this already just found them at IDW's site.

 

Anyway looking great :clap

post-2878-1159498217.jpg

  • Author
You might have this already just found them at IDW's site.

 

Anyway looking great :clap

ya that's what I've based it on entirely so far. :tflaugh

 

anyway here are some updated shots.

 

hopefully if I get a chance tomorrow I will be able to make the chain and cables to finish the model.

 

here are two shots of the model minus hand and neck (didn't get to render afterward)

 

shockwave5copytk0.png

 

shockwave6copyrj5.png

 

and the wireframe requested. :thumb

 

wireps9.jpg

Okay, lookslike some decent polygon conservation. Are you splitting vertices for the sharper edges, using micro-bevels, or simply using Smoothing Groups? The wireframe implies either the first or the third...

  • Author
Okay, lookslike some decent polygon conservation. Are you splitting vertices for the sharper edges, using micro-bevels, or simply using Smoothing Groups? The wireframe implies either the first or the third...

I'm still working to reduce my poly count along the way. every once in a while I find a place that's unnecessarily complex. right now I need to redo the turrets. they are a little choppy, and is overly complex for a fixed object.

same with the smokestack/arm canon (which I just realized I still havn't made the gun for. :tfmad )

 

most of the flat surfaces aren't useing any smoothing, the curved surfaces are using the standard smoothing properties associated with their base shapes.

 

smoothing groups really don't give the results that I like since they leave the profile unaltered. and I don't even know what the second one is. :tflaugh

 

I normally don't concern myself with smoothing, because of the way I model. I make my base shape that's extremely crude, then use a mesh or turbo smooth wich adds the smoothing properties, then re-edit poly that modified shape to continue editing or clean up. I'm sure it's not the best way to do it, but concidering I'm fairly new at the whole process it's the best I have come up with.

Man whatever you say, but THAT is freakin awesome.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!
SOCIAL NETWORKS

ToyNewsI MarvelousNews Tformers JediInsider
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the oldest, largest, and most popular news source for adult toy collectors (kidults) all around the world.

Get the scoop every day on all the popular culture action figures, comics, games, movies, toys, and more!

Contact and Support
Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy


All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Please Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.