I now enjoy rebirth

SMITHSQUARED

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The daniel/acree love connection thing kinda cornied up the cartoon a bit. I think shes got too much daniel on the brain :redface  (awful joke inserted)

But since i enjoy the idea of Headmasters alot, it does add a ton of new, one dimensional characters.......................but alas the end battle wasnt too bad.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought that was Ultra Magnus.

whats arcee's intro story?

Review swiped from tfarchive...

Synopsis: Optimus Prime unveils Arcee to pacify feminists complaining that the Autobots are sexist, much to their bemusement. They're underwhelmed by Arcee, but when Shockwave turns up to disrupt things. Arcee fends the Decepticons off, however.

Notes: The story is set on July 15th 1995. Arcee is unveiled in California, USA. The Transformers have no concept of gender, but have nevertheless come under attack from human feminists. Optimus Prime's character design is nice and generic - it could be the original body, the smaller Powermaster body, or even at a pinch the Action Master body. There's really no problem slotting this into any continuity, though if it happens after the end of the 'present day' Marvel stories, the three Decepticon Headmasters featured have been repaired - possibly using the original heads to replace wiped-out Nebulans? In 1995, Shockwave is in command of at least some of the Decepticons.

Transformers featured [in rough order of appearance]: Arcee, Optimus Prime, Hot Rod, Jazz, Shockwave, Horri-Bull, Fangry, Squeezeplay.

Review: Not very good. The mouthy cod-feminism may be satire, but it's not especially funny, and the story stands up badly to rereading. Like several of Furman's more throwaway strips, it comes across as brattish and smug. Wildman's art doesn't get more humanistic than this, with Jazz appearing to have five o'clock shadow. Plus, Shockwave does bugger-all.

whats arcee's intro story?

Review swiped from tfarchive...

Synopsis: Optimus Prime unveils Arcee to pacify feminists complaining that the Autobots are sexist, much to their bemusement. They're underwhelmed by Arcee, but when Shockwave turns up to disrupt things. Arcee fends the Decepticons off, however.

Notes: The story is set on July 15th 1995. Arcee is unveiled in California, USA. The Transformers have no concept of gender, but have nevertheless come under attack from human feminists. Optimus Prime's character design is nice and generic - it could be the original body, the smaller Powermaster body, or even at a pinch the Action Master body. There's really no problem slotting this into any continuity, though if it happens after the end of the 'present day' Marvel stories, the three Decepticon Headmasters featured have been repaired - possibly using the original heads to replace wiped-out Nebulans? In 1995, Shockwave is in command of at least some of the Decepticons.

Transformers featured [in rough order of appearance]: Arcee, Optimus Prime, Hot Rod, Jazz, Shockwave, Horri-Bull, Fangry, Squeezeplay.

Review: Not very good. The mouthy cod-feminism may be satire, but it's not especially funny, and the story stands up badly to rereading. Like several of Furman's more throwaway strips, it comes across as brattish and smug. Wildman's art doesn't get more humanistic than this, with Jazz appearing to have five o'clock shadow. Plus, Shockwave does bugger-all.

Huh. Sounds........stupid. I'm glad that I missed that one and I will continue to. :thumb

Some of the stories printed in the black and white books from Titan are pretty good.

Especially with the Autobot Earthforce and the Deceptions being 2 armies as well, one lead by Megatron and the other by Shockwave.

Some things do not make much sense though. The Constucticons follow Megatron despite being created by Shockwave and the resverse is true for the Stunticons. At least I think they were against Megatron in one story but sided with him in another.

I guess Furman got confused.  :tflaugh

What confuses me is when these stories take place. They are reprinted and grouped per topic. For instance Fallen Star focuses on Starscream first showing the retrieval of his remains by Darkwing and Dreadwing. After that we see Screamer get his fire back after begging Scornonok not to kill him. (So several US comics take place during these 2 stories.)

The Autobot Earthforce is a mystery as well. Most of the Autobots which comprise the Earthforce were destroyed by Starscream in the (uber-cool) 50th isssue of Transformers. Grimlock used nucleon to reawaken then but that was during the Unicron story-arc.

So how would the Earthforce fit into the US continuity?

Really confusing indeed allthough I do like some of the stories. Most are simply too short to be really cool.

Of course, the UK comic was doing poorly at the time and it could be cancelled at any time. So Furman had to write stories that would not leave open endings which was the case with the US comic.

But hey, at least the US got up to issue 80. In The Netherlands a lot of issues were skipped such as the ones featuring the introduction of the Aerialbots and the feud between the Autobots and Dinobots.

(The test in the bos that usually mentioned in which issue that happened simply said that the Autobots and Dinobots split up in an issue they did not print when the Dinbots returned after Prime died.)

The death of Prime was also skipped in favor of the movie comics as the writers felt that him dying once was enough. So the movie comics were printed in the regular comic. How dumb because in the next issue Rodimus Prime and Galvatron are nowhere to be seen.

Anyways, the series was eventually cancelled with issue 75.  :wtf  :tdown  That was the lamest thing ever. The ending made some sense at the time even though I knew some story arcs were unfinished.

I just thought that was an error on the writers side.  :tftongue

Archived