nail polish

convoy676

Hey,

I just did a kitbash, but i want to make an over coat, and i was told to use clear nail polish, but when i tried it on a test piece, it started to go all cracked and warped, can anyone recomend sumthing else that will provide chip free cverage? Other that kyrlon fusion paint.

I've never had a problem with fusion, I don't get why people complain about it so much. Of course your model will be a little bumpy after you spraypaint... You're supposed to coat, sand, coat, sand and polish for any sort of good paint job anyway =P

To answer your question... I'm not completely sure, but I've heard people sing the praises of ...future floor polish? as a clear coat. I'd stay away from anything brush on like nail polish anyway because it leaves brush strokes.

Yeah, I just use regular lacquer clear coat in a spray can.  Give parts about 3 thin coats. Then give it about 5 days to fully dry before handling or reassembling everything.  That's what I did on Kup and haven't had any chipping problems.

Yeah, I just use regular lacquer clear coat in a spray can.  Give parts about 3 thin coats.   Then give it about 5 days to fully dry before handling or reassembling everything.  That's what I did on Kup and haven't had any chipping problems.

Yup, thin coats and full drying is the key. I use either Tamiya, Gunze Sangyo or Mr. Color clear sprays. You can choose between glossy or flat. One word of caution though in using Tamiya. It somehow melts the paint your spraying over so thin coats is a must.

yeah, i ultimately need to get one but since this is my 2nd repaint and just a sort of test i dont wanna start buying expensive stuff. BUt anyways i went into my basement and found a quick drying lacquer, that i used for my floor. I tried it on a junk part and it seems to work fine...........and best of all only 6 hour drying time.

There are pros and cons to both spraycan and airbrush... I'm a very good spraypainter so I always go with cans. I've never painted anything small though, as I'm still working on my first kitbash projects. But like building custom computer cases I can get an automotive level paint job if I'm willing to put the time in just using spraypaints.

Archived