Transformers and Power Rangers

My Alt. Mode Sucks

I think Bandai or whoever just knows their market and is much more aggressive about targeting it than Hasbro is. When I go to a TRU or wherever, I look at all the various toys and think "yeah that's kinda cool" but when I get to Power Rangers I just have absolutely no interest at all. It does nothing for me. But my boys are nuts for it. I think a BIG part of it is the fact that the show combines giant transforming robots with superheroes (which is essentially what the Power Rangers are), all in a LIVE-ACTION format (which I think is key). So it has the best of all worlds.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

power rangers has never been off our tvs since the early 90s, where as transformers often had breaks between the series up till armada.

So it could be argued power rangers has a larger fanbase and thus a larger demograph for kids wanting the megazords.

Plus every year they are new designs and not repaints -_-

But here's one thing I think is key that TF has that almost no one else has -- the giant robots are like people, too. They're sentient instead of being driven by humans. I never liked mindless machines -- I always thought robots that had personalities were a lot more fun and interesting. Human characters are boring to me. I'd rather watch giant robots talk and do things on their own instead.

I think Bandai or whoever just knows their market and is much more aggressive about targeting it than Hasbro is. When I go to a TRU or wherever, I look at all the various toys and think "yeah that's kinda cool" but when I get to Power Rangers I just have absolutely no interest at all. It does nothing for me. But my boys are nuts for it. I think a BIG part of it is the fact that the show combines giant transforming robots with superheroes (which is essentially what the Power Rangers are), all in a LIVE-ACTION format (which I think is key). So it has the best of all worlds.

There's the 'hero' factor and the fact that the main characters are human, draws the kids in.  Transformers is the line Hasbro has that can topple PR from the #1 spot.  But that will never happen unless the cartoon is on in the late afternoon during weekdays so kids can see it, the products are ATTRACITVE to the kids, and if the price points are adjusted.  I think one problem is that the leaders are ALWAYS some of the most expensive figures.  Parents won't fork over $40 for Prime and Megatron very easily.  PR has figures available in a wide range of prices, so parents that don't like to spend lots of money can get the figure.

i think it's been said earlier and i must re-enforce it: 

it all comes down to advertising.

the PR show is a 1/2 hour commercial (just like G1) designed to attract the attention of kids.  if they gave us a G1 style cartoon now and put some commercials out there then transformers would be flying off of shelves and kids would be buying them instead of it being a mostly collector supported line.

once the movie comes out i hope hasbro doesn't drop the ball on it.  they need to make plans now for toy commercials, movie tie-ins, and a cartoon/show that will appeal to kids and get shown on normal afternoon TV, even if the show and toys have nothing to do with the cybertron set.  they probably need to do thier own thing as well and get away from takara a little bit when it comes to show creation and storylines for the characters as it obviously isn't working for takara.

TurboRangerZordLoose1e.jpg

TurboRangerZordLoose1b.jpg

Those are pictures of the Turbo Zords, individually. I think the designs speak for themselves.

When did those come out? Do those combine? In the 80's those designs wouldn't have been too bad, but they're from the mid-90's, right?

Yep, mid-90s. Of course it would have worked in the '80s, because I hate to admit it but most TF G1 toys were sub-par by today's design standards. But those are ugly and have little to no articulation, but they sell.

Power Rangers.

As weird as it may sound I too watch the show. Heck I even have the last three series on DVD.  :tftongue The show is "terrible" with a simple basic plot line. Bad guy shows up, Rangers kick his ass (usually by combining weapons) and then the monster grows requiring Zords and he has his ass kicked once again.

So it is largely a commercial. I mean they could do without the Zords (why would a creature come back only to have his ass kicked again)  but those make the show cool and they sell well. (I think.)

The show is marketed more agressively but that makes the stuff sell. Just show a lot of commercials and kids will be "brain washed". Not so much the cartoon but the commercial makes stuff sell.

Perhaps Hasbro should make more commercials or a better cartoon. I wanted Transformers because the cartoon and comics were really cool. There were not that much commercials for Transformers here anyways but the ones I did see were cool and make me want to have them.

I think the Zords (or at least some of them) are cool. Since they are not Transformers I do not mind them being controlled by humans (something I hate for Transformers).

Some of the shows are cool too. My favorite would be Ninja Storm followed by DinoThunder. I am not to keen on SPD as far as I have seen it. I really liked the theme behind some of the Ninja Storm episodes. And the overall Ninja theme of course.

Call me crazy but I also liked the into theme for Ninja Storm and DinoThunder. (The SPD theme I am not liking though.)

And yes, I also watch the show for the cute girls. I really liked Sally Martin (Tori on Ninja Storm) and Emma Lahana (Kira on DinoThunder). She is a good singer as well.

TurboRangerZordLoose1e.jpg

TurboRangerZordLoose1b.jpg

Those are pictures of the Turbo Zords, individually. I think the designs speak for themselves.

When did those come out? Do those combine? In the 80's those designs wouldn't have been too bad, but they're from the mid-90's, right?

Around 95,96,97.

I have those guys at my house.  I'll check the date tonight.

Archived