Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

TFormers Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Spark or Hard drive for movie

do you want the bots to have sparks or hardrives or both? 35 members have voted

  1. 1. do you want the bots to have sparks or hardrives or both?

    • Sparks
      64%
      20
    • Hard Drive
      9%
      3
    • Both
      25%
      8

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

I like it the way Oneday sumed it up...

 

I want them to have Sparks or something to the equivalent of an energy source that grants them the emotions and such, making them more than Intelligent Robots with sentient programming...cause what then stops an eraser virus from qiping Prime clean and then reprogramming him into a Decepticon when he is in 'sleep mode'...not much really...so...I know there could be all kinds of anti-virus stuff and whatnot protection...but come on...I hope they have more than just programming.

  • Replies 23
  • Views 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This thread has been answered by the man himself.. no sparks in the first movie (see Don Murphy thread)

Wait.. first movie?? There's gonna be more than one?? Sorry, I'm a little behind here.. :roll

 

Down with some kind of soul for robots.. weither it be sparks or not. The way I saw sparks, it was more like the combustion flame that kept the machine running. The heart of it if you will.. but I don't think it contains a Transformer's soul.. that's in the data tracks.. you can't disbute Dinobot downloading his memories aside for whatever the reason in Bad Spark..

Is the term "hard drive" ever used in G1? I doubt it, since most PCs didn't even have hard drives at that point. (Plus it would have been called a "hard disk" back then. :P)

 

But if you're saying, "do you prefer the G1 concept of robot life or the BW/BM one?", then I'd say I prefer G1 -- at least as far as the new movie goes -- as long as you're actually talking about fully inorganic machines. The whole "spark" thing worked in BW/BM because of the techno-organic theme that ran throughout both series. But when you're dealing with cars and jets and stuff, all the spiritual / metaphysical stuff can just add clutter IMO.

No sparks! :tdown The last thing the movies need is metaphysics/religion messing things up and leaving people scratching their heads.

I'd like to see 'em as the "mind" of the bot. Not a soul, per se, but the part that contains the emotions. Not spiritual, no "all sparks join the matrix," but more, "If you're shot in the spark, you die." The idea of memories on a hard drive makes them seem less alive.

I like the concept of sparks best, as it makes them more alive, in a sense. I personaly see the spark as more than just the heart that keeps the machine alive. The closewst thing to describe it would be the soul - it is the core essence of a transformer, it's life and basic character. However, the core character can be changed through spark manipulation/sparkwashing. (A difficult process only achieved three times - by Starscream on Skyfire in G1; by the Predacon Trio on Hook in RiD; and in its most dangerous way by Megatron on Jet Storm/Silverbolt, Thrust/Waspinator, and Tankor/Rhinox in BM.)

 

That said, I believe, like others, that sparks (or whatever it is) shouldn't be a major focus in the first movie. Perhaps just mention it in passing. Allow it to be reserved for later, or just left in passing comments.

It makes sense that the same structure that contains memories would also contain personality, "life", etc.

 

G1 got along just fine without sparks. The movies will, too.

They DO have hard drives. They're just called "Memory Banks"!!!!

 

:D :D :D

Spark Drives :tflaugh

 

I only want Sparks in the movie(s) if they plan on having Primus otherwise leave then out.

well, the concept of a spark still allows a character to die, look at Dinobot. it was just Starscream who couldn't, and that was just a follow-up to the G1 stories in season 3. The spark I think was more of an attempt to in a sense humanize the transformers, in a sense, making their life and death even that much more dramatic. and allowing the fans to more easily identify with the characters.

and if by "not being able to die" you mean just stasis lock, then it was Furman, I think, who introduced that into the original Marvel comic, with no reference to sparks. transformers were simply damaged to the point were they had to be put into a kind of "sleep mode".

personally, I'm for the idea of something like sparks, because then the transformers are really more than just intelligent robots, they're actual life forms, actual individuals, who can't simply be reprogrammed for a different purpose (unlike how it was carried off in Beast Wars). I think that idea, that the transformers are more than machines, is something that really makes them unique to science fiction, and that seems to be the stance that the writers of the new comics had been taking. it was refreshing to me.

I think it's more the abuse of Sparks in Energon that turned me off on the idea, though I admit it was never all that appealing to me to begin with. Not so much that robots can't have 'souls', but lotsa other stuff that's off topic and ranty and thus I'll refrain from speaking here just doesn't mesh well with me.

 

That all aside, I think it was Energon that went with the Spark overkill. I mean, okay, being blown up to bits as in Beast Wars, fine, seemed that as long as you had the head, just plop them in the CR Chamber and it's fine.

 

But in Energon, Demolisher was VAPORIZED, and was brought back in a 20 second sequence where Megs was apparently trying to hypnotize Demolisher into not freaking out when he finds out he's gone from a tank to a dumptruck.

 

Then there was Inferno, who died as an Autobot, after falling into the SUN, and was brought back 2 eps later, none the worst for wear and fully purged of any infestations. Jeepers, why not just shoot the guy when he was in Autobot mode and give him a new body? Saves all that character development time.

 

It's one thing to be all smashed up, pronounced dead, then be rebuilt by an evil ancient race who apparently know more about the workings of your race than your own 'cause they were supposedly your creators. But it's another thing to be atomized and brought back in a matter of seconds as a matter of whim.

 

It takes away the tension y'know? Granted Energon is supposed to be a kiddy show.

Sparks are part of the mythology arent they? i mean without them theyre just machines

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!
SOCIAL NETWORKS

ToyNewsI MarvelousNews Tformers JediInsider
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the oldest, largest, and most popular news source for adult toy collectors (kidults) all around the world.

Get the scoop every day on all the popular culture action figures, comics, games, movies, toys, and more!

Contact and Support
Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy


All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Please Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.