Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

TFormers Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

G1 REVISITED TOY LINE?!

Recommended Posts

Now I have a question, but first I quote myself...

 

 

I'm serious about doing custom TF toys. I'm looking into buying some 3D modeling software and a SRP (Subtractive Rapid Prototyping) machine so I can go from design to CAM model to toy all by myself. Right now I have designs for a van, an ambulance, a tuck, a tow truck, a couple of freightliner brothers (with trailers), and a tank, all of which I pan on making in limited runs of 20 at 1:24 scale.

 

I’ll probably call the line something like “G1 Revisited�, with no mention of “The Transformers� to steer clear of trademark infringement. All of the toys will be like the BT/Alternators in quality, most of which will be based strongly on real cars, plains, construction vehicles, exedra … with a bit of my own design mixed in (again do to trademark infringement). If the first few sell well, I plan on redoing most of the more popular characters (Even the ones with none vehicle alt modes CHOUGH Dinobots CHOUGH and combiners). If and when I start to redo the aircraft, their Alt modes will probably be scaled down so the bot modes will be more accurate.

 

The whole thing also has a storyline that I might make into a free web comic if I have the time. Frankly, I hope everything works out the way I plan because I can’t wait for you all to see the Rodimus/Prime design I’ve got going! Lets just say, all three G1 Hot Rods, one toy!

 

 

 

... I am seriously thinking about doing this, the only problem is that the said SRP machine is about $5000 and am but a poor collage student. Do you all think it would be a good idea for me to take out a business loan to start a custom TF toy business (IE would the toys sell enough to pay off this debt in a reasonable amount of time, and make enough for my wife and I to live on), or would it all be just a pipe dream?

 

 

What do you, as TFans and potential customers think!

  • Replies 52
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, thats amazing dude!! Id say sum up as much money as u can and get a good job (unless you already have one)then get a loan. :clap :thumb

dude if you do it just let me know how much

WOW!!

 

To you i say follow your dream!!

How much much would one of these, say the red van with sled, and southern accent, kinda design cost us?

 

If you are talking comparative price range as Alts - $30 or so i say Yeah!

Maybe even check in with WraithVerge as he has a design thing going too which sounds Brilliant (his is in referece to some kinda construction vehicles or something, i cant think of the name right now and it devestates me)

 

But i vote yes!!!

 

Hunter Rose

"As Great as you are now, you'll never be greater than yourself"

It's a great idea, and I'd love to see the results, but....

 

$5000 is a lot of money. Starting a business is a gamble, I'm not even sure if a bank would give you that money for what may appear to them to be a poor business prospect. One major problem is that you would have pretty good competition in the form of Alternators/Binaltech already on the shelves, and it's unlikely you'd be able to undercut those prices :-/

 

Wait until you have $5000 that you can afford to lose first - then give it a go!

 

Sorry to sound pessimistic, just don't want you to end up in the gutter!!

While a cool idea, I'd say it's a pipe dream.

 

You'd have to sell at least 200 $40 dollar toys to come close to breaking even, factoring in some SRP raw material and loan interest costs. While this might be an OK side-business if you had the money, I seriously doubt you'd ever be able to make enough to live on.

Consider also the fact that there will be a live-action TF movie coming out in 2006, which means G1-related merchandise out the wazoo.

 

That being said, I think there is always room in the TF community for a cool custom figure maker, and I think you could carve out a nice niche for yourself if you're talented enough. I just wouldn't approach this as a profit-making venture, but rather something done for the love of it.

 

I wish you success no matter your decision.

There were three G1 Hot Rods? I can only think of two. What was the third? Micromaster?

There were three G1 Hot Rods? I can only think of two. What was the third? Micromaster?

Targetmaster?

Nate, I have faith in you, what you should do is shop your idea to the comic book stores, get a partner and draft a business plan. once that is done, shoot me a copy and I will run it past my blood sucking demon... i mean lawyer and if she thinks it is kosher, I will invest

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!
SOCIAL NETWORKS

ToyNewsI MarvelousNews Tformers JediInsider
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the oldest, largest, and most popular news source for adult toy collectors (kidults) all around the world.

Get the scoop every day on all the popular culture action figures, comics, games, movies, toys, and more!

Contact and Support
Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy


All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Please Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.