WHY DID G1 DIE AND YET.....

Hunter Rose

yeah, and Bodycount was a hoot to read.

:thumb

In the sense of pointless anger, confusion and contradiction....yes he was quite humorous.

The original series for me started to die some time during the second season. The episodes just got far fetched and lame, but the movie was the final nail in the coffin.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i forget if someone posted this, but to date G1 is still longer-lived than AEC. 84-90 is about 7 years. Armada started in '02.. G1's descent into obscurity (wow that sounds like a bad metal song... Descent into Obscurity!!) took place after the series of toys had a long, long life. To compare, AEC would have to still have SOMETHING (even something ridiculous like Action Masters) on the shelf in... 2009. That's right... and Cybertron, the third in the trilogy, is only starting in 05.

just bringing up a couple points. I for one am a Transformers purist... no crappy non-transforming toys for me thank you...

TFTM and post-TFTM marked the end of G1 as we know it. G1 lives on with memories, the reissues Alternators and the homages we have had. But G1 is dead, just like the original Star Trek is dead. (sorry, just had to say it)

Well said EM. Star Trek is dead and I've been trying to tell my Trekkie kid brother that for years. That said I don't agree that G1 as been totally killed off. With Homages in the Armadaverse left and right, Alternatirs, the comics, and a new feature film It's the furthest from being dead. Long live G1. (caution to all G1 purists. Do not proceed further. You will not like this):tdown

Now for my take on the G1 continuity. I grew up with Transformers in the 80's, and now own all three seasons on dvd. After watching it straight through once, my question is what's the big deal? Season one still is the most nostalgic for me because this was when audiences everywhere were introduced to the world of Transformes and the epic confrontations, and battles between Optimus Prime, and Megatron. From this, Season 2/3 brought fourth an entire galaxy of new characters, most without any explanation, or background given whatsoever. Season 2/3 have sme really neat/well scripted storys but the majority of them are just stupid. I can't think of many episodes that didn't launch into a full scale battle assault between the Decepticons/Autobots in the first two minutes. This get's repetitive to say the least, but G1 wasn't bout scripting an interesting, and well rounded characters, it was about selling toys. As for the toys, even the earliest, they wer cool, and had metal in the construction but after the movie came out everything was plastic, and the transformations, and poseability was pathetic.

Can't comment on Beast Wars though the more I read about it the more I need to see it.

Though I enjoyed Rid, I'm going to throw it competely out the window because it has nothing to do with the Armadaverse.

The Armadaverse is where everything changed, and long time fans of G1/BW continuity decided to accept it openly or abhor it with a deep driven hatred of all things not G1. I for one like the Armadaverse, and think in terms of scripting, and toys it's a major improvement, and appropiate for this day and age.I really can't understand all this hostility towards Armada/Energon/Cybertron. Armada for one actually follows a coherent continuous story arc, and the characters are for the most part well rounded, and explained. By season 2 of G1 there were so many characters tossed in every which way, it just felt cluttered, and forced. Armada kept it's cast numbers fairly low on both factions so there was room to explore each characters personality, and as the serries progressed more characters would be introduced and explored. Kids aside as wll as other attribute of the show I hated, the minicon Star saber/ Skyboom shield/Requiem blaster story arcs, various charater betrayals, and the Unicron battle made this decent enough and well worth watching. As for the toys I really like G1 Optimus Prime/Ultra Magnus but where's the articulation, and poseability. I bought a reissue Prowl, ahd though the arms can move, and he looks decent enough in alt mode all he can do is stand there. Armada's Jetfire was by far the coolest of that line but I rally like the Energon line. Alt modes are pretty much meh, but in robot mode, you can pose them any which way, and the wepons are awsome (a sucker for spring loaded pojectiles), an the plastic/materials has a durable feel to it unlike Beast Wars/Rid where they feel like they're going to break every time you transform them. I bon't know why everyone's complaining about these toys and saying G1 is so great. Rubber tires and metal is a plus, but what about the cheepness of G1 minibots, like Bumblebee, Brawn, Huffer or Decepicons like Devastor or Rid Ruination, though I must admit the Seekers are cool.

G1 I think if anything introduced and established who the Autobots/Decepticons were, and the war they wage to this day. Though alt modes/designs have changed in the many incarnations of Transformes fom Beast Wars to Cybertron this underlining concept has never changed. Optimus Prime or some variation will always lead the Autobot forces against some variation of Megatron and the Decepticons. This will never change so though some may feel G1 is dead, and gone, the characters, and concepts born will always live on with every new incarnation to come.

(That is unless Hasbro/Takara really screw up with somethin even worse/more outlandish then Energon Optimus Prime) Personally the first time I saw him I thought "okay this will either do really well or be Hasbro/Takara's down fall, and Transformers will be finished permanently" Good thing I was wrong because the there would be no Cybertron Optimus Prime, and I would be sad. :tfsad

TFTM and post-TFTM marked the end of G1 as we know it.  G1 lives on with memories, the reissues Alternators and the homages we have had.  But G1 is dead, just like the original Star Trek is dead. (sorry, just had to say it)

Well said EM. Star Trek is dead and I've been trying to tell my Trekkie kid brother that for years. That said I don't agree that G1 as been totally killed off. With Homages in the Armadaverse left and right, Alternatirs, the comics, and a new feature film It's the furthest from being dead. Long live G1. (caution to all G1 purists. Do not proceed further. You will not like this):tdown

Now for my take on the G1 continuity. I grew up with Transformers in the 80's, and now own all three seasons on dvd. After watching it straight through once, my question is what's the big deal? Season one still is the most nostalgic for me because this was when audiences everywhere were introduced to the world of Transformes and the epic confrontations, and battles between Optimus Prime, and Megatron. From this, Season 2/3 brought fourth an entire galaxy of new characters, most without any explanation, or background given whatsoever. Season 2/3 have sme really neat/well scripted storys but the majority of them are just stupid. I can't think of many episodes that didn't launch into a full scale battle assault between the Decepticons/Autobots in the first two minutes. This get's repetitive to say the least, but G1 wasn't bout scripting an interesting, and well rounded characters, it was about selling toys. As for the toys, even the earliest, they wer cool, and had metal in the construction but after the movie came out everything was plastic, and the transformations, and poseability was pathetic.

Can't comment on Beast Wars though the more I read about it the more I need to see it.

Though I enjoyed Rid, I'm going to throw it competely out the window because it has nothing to do with the Armadaverse.

The Armadaverse is where everything changed, and long time fans of G1/BW continuity decided to accept it openly or abhor it with a deep driven hatred of all things not G1. I for one like the Armadaverse, and think in terms of scripting, and toys it's a major improvement, and appropiate for this day and age.I really can't understand all this hostility towards Armada/Energon/Cybertron. Armada for one actually follows a coherent continuous story arc, and the characters are for the most part well rounded, and explained. By season 2 of G1 there were so many characters tossed in every which way, it just felt cluttered, and forced. Armada kept it's cast numbers fairly low on both factions so there was room to explore each characters personality, and as the serries progressed more characters would be introduced and explored. Kids aside as wll as other attribute of the show I hated, the minicon Star saber/ Skyboom shield/Requiem blaster story arcs, various charater betrayals, and the Unicron battle made this decent enough and well worth watching. As for the toys I really like G1 Optimus Prime/Ultra Magnus but where's the articulation, and poseability. I bought a reissue Prowl, ahd though the arms can move, and he looks decent enough in alt mode all he can do is stand there. Armada's Jetfire was by far the coolest of that line but I rally like the Energon line. Alt modes are pretty much meh, but in robot mode, you can pose them any which way, and the wepons are awsome (a sucker for spring loaded pojectiles), an the plastic/materials has a durable feel to it unlike Beast Wars/Rid where they feel like they're going to break every time you transform them. I bon't know why everyone's complaining about these toys and saying G1 is so great. Rubber tires and metal is a plus, but what about the cheepness of G1 minibots, like Bumblebee, Brawn, Huffer or Decepicons like Devastor or Rid Ruination, though I must admit the Seekers are cool.

G1 I think if anything introduced and established who the Autobots/Decepticons were, and the war they wage to this day. Though alt modes/designs have changed in the many incarnations of Transformes fom Beast Wars to Cybertron this underlining concept has never changed. Optimus Prime or some variation will always lead the Autobot forces against some variation of Megatron and the Decepticons. This will never change so though some may feel G1 is dead, and gone, the characters, and concepts born will always live on with every new incarnation to come.

(That is unless Hasbro/Takara really screw up with somethin even worse/more outlandish then Energon Optimus Prime) Personally the first time I saw him I thought "okay this will either do really well or be Hasbro/Takara's down fall, and Transformers will be finished permanently" Good thing I was wrong because the there would be no Cybertron Optimus Prime, and I would be sad. :tfsad

While I would tend to agree with most of that, I feel there must be something said about the hatred for the Armadaverse.

I'm not going to pretend to speak for everyone that doesn't like Armada, Energon or RID (and, most likely, Cybertron/Galaxy Force as well). However, your reasoning is a bit simplistic. It's not necessarily that it's "not G1" that people don't like it. I personally don't like any of those series because I don't enjoy watching them. It's not that there's no mention of G1 Hoist or Soundwave. It's not because Optimus isn't a red tractor-trailer unit and Megatron isn't a Walther pistol. It's just a case of not liking the show.

A good part of that could be because of the fact that those series in particular are done in the anime styles which are, for most folks, either love 'em or hate 'em. I usually find myself not liking anime. Not knocking it, just saying I don't enjoy watching it.

And yes, there are those who genuinely detest things that aren't G1 just because they aren't G1. However, there are also those who detest anything G1 just because it's not part of the Armadaverse. The only difference between the two sides of that battle? The Armadaverse is recent, and G1 has been (except for the DW comics) pretty quiet lately.

And I think, if you really ask around, there are fewer on each side than you'd think ...

It's all well and good for a line to finish fairly quickly, but Hasbro should release all the TF's in the UK and Europe instead of just the US and Canada and New Zealand, we're barely half way into Energon here and they're ending it already, we've only had it here since last May and had to wait till September for any new ones to come out. Same with Armada, they left out a lot of the repaints, made Jetfire limited stock, didn't release Nemesis Prime and Wheeljack and held back Hoist and Overload for too long. They should release the full line first before ending it. We're not even getting Universe here at all and I like the look of a few of the reapints like Tankor and the jets.

-Chuckles

TFTM and post-TFTM marked the end of G1 as we know it.  G1 lives on with memories, the reissues Alternators and the homages we have had.  But G1 is dead, just like the original Star Trek is dead. (sorry, just had to say it)

OMG, i feel the same way as you. I think People seem to be turned off at the series because its anime.... I dont understand why people hate micron legends/Superlink/Galaxy Force, to me this is the best thing that has ever happened to transformers. I bought ALL g1 DVDs, watched it, and mostly ended up fast forwarding and skipping some of the stupid episodes....the only one i enjoyed was MTMTE ^_^ best eva!

I'll have to say that I'm not a fan of Armada/Energon more on account of Masterforce/Victory than G1. Well, that and I'm just not a fan of how the characters have been handled. Toys look rockin' though.

As for Galaxy, saw ep 1 subbed and ep 2 raw. Wow, this one looks like it might even rock. I was hoping for decent, but provided they can keep up the quality, I may well have to put Victory as a moderately distant 2nd to Galaxy Force. I'm glad Gonzo's seemed to learn from Energon's mistakes (like, don't be TOO set on making the chars toy accurate) and other little touches.

The fight scenes, haven't seen such great TF fight scenes since Masterforce. Storywise it seems fairly decent, but they also go out of their way to fill some (not all...) plot holes. But they're minor plot holes to begin with, so tis alright.

I've high hopes for GF, real excited, and can't wait for ep3 to come out.

Every new series counts as a reboot, even when they're in the same continuity. New product, new packaging, bla bla bla. Hasbro tried to do just this in 1986. Only it didn't work. Too extreme or not extreme enough -- who knows.

Be warned -- you are treading on "Madhammer soap box territory" here...

too late!! :eek

I think that the fandom has only to look at itself if it wants to know why such retarded shows as RiD, Armada, and Energon are what passes for "Transformers" nowadays. The backlash against Beast Machines was SO violent (after so much had been invested in it by Hasbro, Mainframe, et al.) that Hasbro essentially said, "screw it, we're not gonna bother with quality programming -- we'll just dub some Jap crap like everyone else is doing and make $$$." And since the RiD toys were cool, no one cared. And when Armada came along, the fans continued to buy, even though it was even worse than RiD (at least RiD had cool toys). By the time Energon came along, fans were already in the "maybe it'll be cool this time" mindset. And all the homages kept people happy enough to not mind the fact that the TF show still was not worth watching.

Fun facts you may not have been aware of:

1. Hasbro originally planned to follow up Beast Machines with a kickass-looking series that would have brought back vehicular-based TFs, and continue the TF story line that started with G1. ("Transtech" for those of you who don't know -- all we have left today is a bunch of awesome concept art and a single prototype.)

2. Hasbro also had plans to produce a theatrical TF movie in 2001, but abandoned its plans after the post-BM implosion. I know you're thinking, "who cares, they're making a TF movie now." But a TF movie that tied into the G1/BW/BM continuity?

Oh well (for the 1,000th time)....

Keep talking like that and I swear I'll have you all sexed up one of these days...

Archived