Sacrifice - TFsource Blog

Maz

Win some, lose some. You can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. If you love something, set it free. Pick your favourite hackneyed phrase and apply it to the practice of selling certain Transformers from your collection to finance newer or more expensive ones, or just changing the guard. Some collectors are fortunate enough to be able to just add to their collections, but a fair few must sacrifice certain items, sub-lines or whole categories of toys in order to streamline, re-focus or even continue their collecting. This week I look at a few of the toy-lines I’ve had to let go of in order to carry on.

Sacrifice | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

xsac20.jpg

xsac09.jpg

All the best

Maz

I had gotten rid of a bunch of my TFs before I went on "TF Vacation" or prior to the 2007 movie. Sometimes I regret getting rid of them. But now that I remember doing that, I am now pondering if I should do that again. I was even going to go to TRU today and then thought... well what If I decide to change my focus? Then suddenly nothing that TRU had (or at least the last time I went there) was appealing to me.

I sell my Transformers for two reasons, space and money. I sold all of my Transformers Alternators a few months ago. Thanks to the new Masterpiece Transformers, I have no use for any Alternators. I prefer the G1 representations of the characters, I was able to get rid of a few storage boxes in the basement and I have extra money to buy the new toys. I have also sold all of my Transformers Animated toys, anything from Cybertron or Energon I may have had, which mostly were repaints done for other lines, and Movie toys. Thanks to the MP-11 mold, I was also able to be rid of my Walmart MP Starscream. I also sold my Walmart MP Skywarp; I still have my Takara MP Skywarp. I'm even tempted to sell those as well. I'm done with the whole "wing hips" thing. I think the MP-11 mold is superior. I'll probably sell my Takara-Tomy Transformers Prime toys next. I've also been thinking of giving up on the CHUG toys, but that's last resort. I have been thinking about giving up on 3rd party toys and merely focus on officially released, G1 related toys, with maybe some Beast Wars too, like that Generations Rhinox we saw at BotCon.

I did a great purge too right before the 2007 movie. I sold off all of my RID toys except for Ultra Magnus and some Armada and miscellaneous ones. Sometimes I regret getting rid of any transformers. Unfortunately, sometimes life gets in the way and money becomes a factor. Right now I absolutely love my Prime collection and my

MP collection. I'm also partial to my CHUGs collection. I'm heavily debating getting rid of all my movie line, G1, and all other lines I have with the exception of some of my favorites from those lines. I will admit my Prime collecting is probably coming to a close. I have mostly everybody and with the series about to wrap up, we're mainly going to be getting repaints. I'll be concentrating on MP and CHUGs.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently working on selling what I've considered one of the biggest jewels in my collection...my mint Sonic Convoy box set. I never wanted to sell it, in fact I still had hopes of opening and displaying it someday when I had more room to work with. I'm also selling my more expensive Iron Man figures. This is the costliest time I can ever remember in terms of Transformers to buy. Soundwave, Metroplex, and Predaking to start...Acid Storm, Target exclusives, and new waves of Beast Hunters and Generations all at once are simply overwhelming.

Hey! Where is everyone selling their toys? I'm needing to get rid of a few toys myself and wanted to know what may be my best option for doing just that.

• 3 weeks later...

Another great piece, Maz!

When I got back into collecting (mid-college), it was a very focused process of getting those jewels I missed when I was a kid...which involved a lot of trading/haggling, as I was a broke@$$ college student. Once I got out (and got a JOB!), that focus expanded into other lines. Then it didn't take long for the focus to get blurry...especially after my first BotCon! But, after a while, I started letting a few here, a few there, go...mostly over preference. It wasn't until just a couple of years back that I really started, to reiterate this post's heading, making sacrifices. This year alone, I've probably let go of the most ever for many of the same reasons others have given, particular MikePrime's: space & money. Luckily, I've maintained enough control not to fill my house wall-to-wall & keep these along one wall of my office (in display cases, of course)...thanks in part to my wife! Also, getting older with a family, mortgage, bills, etc., other things start to take priority. Not that I don't give myself an allowance of sorts, but when multiple items are released all at once, the money's not always there. So, in order to make MUST HAVES happen, while maintaining a budget over the rest of my life, I've been forced to turn to sacrificing, or rather streamlining. And in some ways, I've gotta say it's refreshing.

Still haven't figured out how to ever afford those giant@$$ third-party combiners, though...HA! :thumb

I know the feeling indeed. Sometimes its not even other toys, but things like need $s for painting the house or are just out of room to put stuff. I am starting to sell a lot of my best items off for said reasons. Its not as painful as I thought it would be. Especially when I can offer them to another collector who really cherishes them. Stay tuned for what I hope will be a better way to sell your TFs. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hope I see this way soon because I'd love to have a great way of selling some of mine! :)

Archived