Is it just me or is TFormers a wasteland right now?

Jason X

I want to preface this by saying this topic is in no way a dig at this site, the people who run it, or the members who frequent it.

It seems to me that traffic on this site has slowed dramatically. BotCon coverage was great and the movie/game news is still interesting. Are we suffering from Transformer Fatigue? Is all the rapid fire news here lately just too much, too fast?

I know I felt a little burnt out this last week. I was grateful to have E3 news as a sort of mental palate cleanser.

This site has an insightful, thriving forum community that fosters great discussion but it appears lately nobody stays on long or has much to say.

Conversely, my asessment of the situation could be skewed by the fact that since I went mobile I have a greater opportunity to be on the forums. Is the community posting less or am I simply reading more?

I don't know, this is just a series of observations possibly worthy of discussion. Thoughts?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its been slowing down for a while. I think it started to slow down during the Energon/Cybertron days. Usually when the movie and Botcon come around people start trickling in, but not for long though. For this year's Botcon, idk.... seemed like the usual users.

I think if users (including myself) were more active and posted more, the site would be full of life.... IDK... -_-

Maybe we've all just grown out of it, not completely, but to the point where it doesn't matter that much.

Maybe the site needs a complete overhaul. I've seen a bunch of random forums that use the same layout. All this black and gray kinda makes it feel dead... IDK.... whatever.

Just ramblings, didn't even give much thought to what I was saying.

Forums in general are a dying breed. It's all about the social networking sites in this day and age.

That being said, I belong to none of those sites.

I still come here first, but I can't say the entire forum part of the fandom is dying. Not sure why this one is different but the other 3 big ones don't seem to be having any problems.

Forums in general are a dying breed. It's all about the social networking sites in this day and age.

That being said, I belong to none of those sites.

Yeah, I have absolutely no use for Facespace crap. I think it's all pretty dumb.

This is a bit deeper than I thought it was I guess. I just noticed that usually at any given time there were 30-50 users in the last twenty minutes on this site. In the run up to BotCon and ever since that number has been consistently above 80 people. Seems good to me but I can't really say. It just looks like users aren't staying as long of posting as much.

I honestly chalked it up to too much news lately. All there coverage wore me out. I was thinking other people felt likewise.

I hope this isn't indicative of a larger problem. I like this site and the people on these formus are really cool. I'd hate to see that go away....

If you talk to people off the record, they feel intimidated by the forums. You have to remember that a couple of years ago, this was a vastly different place. While we've done a lot of work to change the ambience, there still seems to be some lingering perception out there. There is also the 90/10 rule to consider, which (in this case) is that 10% of the users will make up 90% of the postings. The news side gets thousands of hits per day, which is good. The forum is more of a member service. It's here to take advantage of, or not to take advantage of.

If I have to use Facebook to get my TF fix you'll have a new picture for your avatar Blitz.

It seems like to me that there was either less coverage or less news to cover this year for Botcon then last. Although that could just seem that way since I was actually at Botcon last year and it was hectic as hell. I didnt see a live update thing or news on what the new Generations coming out in 2011 could be. Either I didnt see them or they werent there. I dunno. I'm trying to relegate myself to a lurker so maybe I just didn't see it all the news articles.

I think it's started to slow down when we've had a little less to become excited about since this last Hasbro stint. I've noticed that even I've become a lot more bummed lately with this RTS and Generations nonsense we've been going through. I'm thinking without a lot in the industry as far as actual product, there isn't much to get excited about. Could be just me but I've been feeling a bit to a lot let down.

It'll change I'm sure as I still love the line and Robots in general but the worse we've been seeing in the distribution to our stores, the more disappointed I've been.

If you talk to people off the record, they feel intimidated by the forums. You have to remember that a couple of years ago, this was a vastly different place. While we've done a lot of work to change the ambience, there still seems to be some lingering perception out there. There is also the 90/10 rule to consider, which (in this case) is that 10% of the users will make up 90% of the postings. The news side gets thousands of hits per day, which is good. The forum is more of a member service. It's here to take advantage of, or not to take advantage of.

I remember you saying the forums were pretty rough back in the day. I kind of missed out. I've been getting news from this site for around four years now but only became a member in may of '09. It took me a minute to get over putting myself out there but it's a lot of fun now. As far as the 90/10 rule goes, I like that too. 10% is still a lot of people but it lends a stronger sense of community at the same time.

Archived