Transformer Toy Production

SkyClonus

The point is we DIDN'T have Alts/BT toys 20 years ago...my original question was basically asking if we even could've had the toys of today 20 years ago, based on the production/design procedures of the era. Or, were we getting the best toys that period could produce?

I doubt we could have had the toys of today 20 years ago. The technology was not there and the quality of plastics was not as advanced as they are now. Most importantly, I do believe twenty years ago we were getting the very BEST toys that were technologically feasible then.

Also consider looking at other mecha related toys during the same period, they could also be considered bricks and they lacked articulation. But they sold and sold well, today those toys are worth serious money in the collectors market. I doubt the current toys would’ve made it as far as they did, if not for the initial production, designs, trials and most importantly the success of G1. :thumb

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lets hope when they bring out the movie toys they are like altenators, but cheaper over here, i just worked out that an altenator over here is twice as much as in america cos the £ is stronger than the $, rip off britain :(

Well, the changes are pretty obvious, Less or no diecast, less articulation, and of course, MORE MONEY!

Yeah, I'd say that we got pretty-much the best that they could or certainly would do back in the 70s/80s. I think it was the idea of realistic metal cars that transformed into robots, alongside the cartoon, that did the selling -- the toys themsevles could have been even worse and I think we'd still pine for them now.

I was always kinda curious about the question of accessories. I mean Hot Wheels had ramps, tracks and cities -- where were TF ones? Star Wars had big plastic ships -- where were they for TFs? He-Man had big plastic playsets -- TFs? Barbies had racks of clothes... nevermind.

The point being, I figured they could have sold some sort of accessories that would have sold well. That's where I think it "could have been better." That said, I'm not sure what would have been a good seller. Perhaps a big plastic Cybertron playset?

My two energon cubes.

Remember, G1 was a pioneering line - not much in the way of transforming robot toys had been done prior to Diaclone/G1. It's hard to say if they could have created Alternator-like toys back then. They had to start somewhere, and work out the kinks (like articulation).

Regardless, the G1 toys were NOT pieces of crap! (Well, mostly not). They are some of the best designed and engineered toys PERIOD. Still are.

The point is we DIDN'T have Alts/BT toys 20 years ago...my original question was basically asking if we even could've had the toys of today 20 years ago, based on the production/design procedures of the era. Or, were we getting the best toys that period could produce?

I doubt we could have had the toys of today 20 years ago. The technology was not there and the quality of plastics was not as advanced as they are now. Most importantly, I do believe twenty years ago we were getting the very BEST toys that were technologically feasible then.

Also consider looking at other mecha related toys during the same period, they could also be considered bricks and they lacked articulation. But they sold and sold well, today those toys are worth serious money in the collectors market. I doubt the current toys would’ve made it as far as they did, if not for the initial production, designs, trials and most importantly the success of G1. :thumb

Yep I reckon they were cutting edge technology back then too, as an example of progress, look at computers and actual cars and their designs. ;)

I think the advance in computer based engeneering technology is what has really brought the articulation and complicated transformations to bear.  Back in the days of G1, it was all done by guys sitting around with drafting boards trying to figure out how to get a car into a robot, much less worry about a thing like articulation.  Most articulation back in those days was a direct result of the transformation.

Nope. Takara engineer had said that there are no computers involved in designing Transformers. Most of the bots in Japan are done literally 'hands-on'. I like it if you ask me.

I think the past toys could have been made better, but those companies lacked the resources and time back then to create what they can now. Plastics have not evolved that much beyond that time, what has added there is plastic that is a tad more durable and more plastics that are semi enviromental friendly.

They would not have been MP or BT level, but they could have been better.

Archived