Prime Directive/Ghosts of yesterday

JustLOKIPLVY

I'm really wondering how this is all going to tie into the start of the movie in a way audiences will still be able to differentiate what is happening from what has already happened.

Not to spoiler to much for those who haven't read either of these I won't drop a lot of plot points. I will say a lot is already happening & will happen before the movie officially starts. For a prequal I assumed this would all go down on Cybertron & lead up to the point just before anybody arrives on earth because in terms of a movie that would probably of great importance to the script as well as properly introducing the characters in a way the audience can immediently identify with who's who & what's happening. For some reason or other this is already accomplished in the first three issues leading up to the move.

So Bumblebee's already on earth as a camaro being tracked by this super sercret government agency who knows of the Transformers as well as the All spark. Megatron has already been long discovered & is being carefully studied by Scientists in this elaborate scifi facility, & Sam has been introduce & revealed to be the one Bumblebee is actively searching out or more accurately his father in the time placement given. Also given the fact Bumblebee can seem to pull up anything from The Who to U2 at the most opportune moment I'm assuning he uses a full musical data base opposed to simply using the radio to communicate.

Haven't read the actual script so those of you who have know exactly how it all it adds up.

Just having read what I have the movies going to feel asf a very large chunk is missing from it fro the get go. I'm sure there's the posibility of it all being explained somewhere or other in the film but for people who don't know what Transformers are or what they're all about may feel out of there element so to speak.

I just finished reading Ghosts of Yesterday. The book seemed to be nothing more than another movie tie-in. However, it manages to give a smidgeon of backstory to the movie. Spoilerific stuff in the tags.

The book just sets the plot up so the TransFormers are aware of Earth and Humans. Megatron and the Allspark landed on Earth a bloody long time ago, and humans managed to reverse engineer the technology just enough to get a crude Cybertronian ship into space. Autobots and Decepticons and the Human-built vessel are all going WTF out in deep space. The TransFormers figure out the humans built their ship from their technology and learn Megatron is on earth. Imaginative fight scenes, stuff blows up, cliffhanger

As for people missing stuff when the movie opens, it's usually minimal and regarded as backstory. Nobody really needed to watch Animatrix before seeing Matrix 2. Everyone just managed to piece together that it was just a 2 hour episode of Dragonball Z starring Jesus. Same thing will happen with TransFormers. Except for the Jesus part.

Well Loki -

If you follow the Prequel Comics, Bumblebee lands on Earth in 2003 (IIRC). Apparently Starscream, Blackout, Frenzy, & Barricade will arrive on Earth a short while later - probably less than a year after BB. Which means IF the movie takes place in 2007 (I think it's supposed to), that means BB has roughly 4 years to study humans, adapt to human laws (such as learning the traffic laws), and perfect his disguising capabilities while he hunts down Sam and the AllSpark.

From the Old Script Bumblebee's

sudden song selection isn't talked about much. It's sort of just assumed he can just find any song he's looking for immediately. Might be addressed in the movie now, but wasn't in the Old Script.

Also - Bumblebee in the Old Script

had been on Earth for a while - the timeline isn't spelled out, but he's been there a good while. So have some of the Decepticons. The Decepticons are just in hidding, waiting to hear what Barricade, Frenzy, & Blackout find. Blackout is looking for Megatron, while Frenzy & Barricade mainly are trying to find info on the AllSpark (if they find out info on Megatron, it sorta just a bonus).

^

Thanks for clarifying a lot of that. The comic jumps from one timeline to the next so frequently it becomes pretty easy for one to lose track what's happening when. It does make sense considering Spike's only a twelve year old kid at the time Bumblebee arrives one earth

Comic aside I've finally gotten somewhere in GOTP. After the god awful start & campy human dialogue of the first chapter it picks up rather nicely. (Expected I guess considering the TF characters are introduced & a hell of a lot more interesting on pageIMO) Having read what little I have it looks live the novel backstory occurs before the prequal comic. Can't give too much away considering what little I have read but in 50 some pages it is learned Megatron is being prepped for a mass move from the Facility in Antartica, (Probably leads to his enevitable escape in the movie) Also in the process of reverse engineering what they have learned about Ice Megs they have developed intersteller travel & have just launched a crew into deep space. I just have to comment on how stupid the dialogue is for a moment. After the crew achieves the authors equelivent of lightspeed one of the crew exclaims "What the hell?" as stars streak past them in long lines. Obviously this guy has never seen a Starwars or any other scifi movie in his lifetime. Kind of made me laugh. At the same time this is happening the author gives plenty of fanservice in that the crew of Decepticons aboard the Nemesis are in a 1000+ year search for Meagatron/Allspark while the autobots nearby in the ark attempt to do the same. As it turns out the three ships intersect at a point after ebtering through crosscurrent wormholes. That's as far as I've read but that little bit does a great deal to explain why things are happening with the protoforms & all.

Personalitywise everything about the characterizations thus far remind me of Armada. Starscreem has taken command, & wants nothing more to lead. In hope that Megatron's demise is absolute his only purpose if any is to find & command the all spark. The other Decepticons Blackout/Barricade however are not as easily convinced & hope Megatron will either someday be found or return to them to again lead. Barricade's the tacticion it seems while Blackouts the loyal grunt characterized in a manner that reminds me of Armada Demolisher. No mention of either Brawl/Bonecrusher yet so where they come into play is anybody's guess. The prequal comic also doesn't make any mention of them after the other three arrive on Mars. Autobots are basically what you'd expect from any series though for some reason Jazz seems to ba a tactacle officer or something. I thought that was Prowls job. :tflaugh

So in 2003 after Bumblebee takes Camaro form & is already being observed by Secret intelligence he is still able to be kept hidden for four years. Must be a lot of mid seventies Camaros on the road that are bright yellow. Thought this was a bit of a stretch so just assumed it was happening just before the movie opened. Guess this also means Megatron has been long moved to this secondary base without incident.

As argued the movie will no doubt be able to fill the gaps in everything that has long happened. Unfortunately that's a fair bit of exposition & the only back story being played out only in novel/comic A lot of this is speculation at best but I personally won't know until par 4 of the prequal arrives & the novel is read.

Just Remember Loki -- This stuff is just Tie-In Merchandise. Most of it probably won't have any affect on the movie itself. They are just cool additions to what's being done for the movie's merchandising. I highly doubt most of the Prequel Comics or Novel will directly affect or even slightly nod to what happens in the actual movie (beyond the obvious/necessary - such as Megatron captured/frozen and TFs coming to Earth).

Archived