"MASTERPIECE" Chip Chase!!!!!

The REAL Generation Zero

Inspired by the recent Daniel Witwicky kitbash, I decided to attempt another favorite human charachter from the G1 show, Chip Chase!!!  :clap

Here's the base figure I started with, before I opened it in case any of you wants to suplicate my project, you know exactly what I was starting with. :thumb

1.jpg

I chose Professor X as a base for this bash because he is similar to Chip in a number of ways... not only are both of them crippled, but they also both have a wheelchair of sorts, so it was perfect.  They are both smart too, so that made it even better.

2.jpg

Here is a nice detail photo of the back of Chip's hover chair.  I know that G1 Chip didn't have a hover chair, but I wasn't really wanting to have to figure out a way to kitbash wheels for the professor's hover chair, so instead I retconned a fanfic in which Chip has Wheeljack build him a hoverchair.  That way my kitbash is perfectly accurate.

3.jpg

Here is a photo of my workspace... you'll notice that I printed a high resolution screenshot of Chip so I would have a good reference point during the entire process.  Also, you'll notice that I have set myself up so that all of my materials are within arms reach... the colored markers and the sharpie marker are easily accessible.  This will make it easier to complete my project...  The other important detail here is how I've strown a bunch of random guitar parts all over the table, so that it looks like I'm doing alot more work here than I actually am.  This is a very important step, if you want your "work in progress" photos to be as impressive as the finished product.

4.jpg

My first step was to find a color that closely matches the Professor's tie.  This one is close...

5.jpg

But this one is much closer.  I think I'll use this one.  For what, you ask?

6.jpg

Well, as you may recall, in the cartoon, Chip never wore a tie.  I would have had to figure out a way to remove the tie from the figure, and that would have rewuired a lot more talent than I actually have.  Therefore, I decided to add a tie to Chip's picture, so that the lack of a tie would not distract from the total accuracy of my finished kitbash.

7.jpg

While adding the tie, I decided it would be a good idea to add a part in the fanfic where while Wheeljack is building Chip's hoverchair, Chip goes to the store to buy a tie.  That way it all makes sense when it's all finished.

8.jpg

There!  :thumb Now that Chip has a tie, my project is well on the way to being finished! :clap

9.jpg

Now my next step will be to find a color that matches Chip's jacket, so I can recolor the Professor's jacket to match.  This should be easy, this color is nearly perfect!

10.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to settle for the color above which was ALMOST perfect, because as you can see, I am missing a bunch of my markers.  That's because some kid stole a few from me back in 3rd grade, when I got these markers.  Little bastard. :fire

11.jpg

Oh, well... now it's time to recolor the jacket.  :thumb

12.jpg

Hmm... I guess these are really some pretty Blotty markers..  :tdown

13.jpg

On to plan B.  This color is a much better match for the Professor's jacket than the other one was for Chip's anyway, so...

14.jpg

I'll just change Chip's jacket.  :thumb

15.jpg

Again, to avoid continuity issues, I'll just retcon in another store stop, in which Chip buys a new jacket to go with his new tie.

16.jpg

Hmm... it's done, but it looks pretty splotchy, and it's a bit darker than I hoped.  This kitbashing crap is pretty hard.  :redface

17.jpg

Okay, third time is a charm.  We'll just say that that new blue jacket Chip bought didn't fit, so he had to take it back and get a black one.  The Sharpie should be fine for that, and easily eliminate the splotchiness issues from the crappy third grade markers.  Now I'm on to something! :clap

18.jpg

The great thing about using a Sharpie to recolor a kitbash is that it works just as well on paper...

19.jpg

... as it does on plastic.  It should be no problem making the jackets match now... this project is really shaping up.

20.jpg

Looking great!  This should be a cakewalk from here!

21.jpg

I was going to use some wire to make glasses for him, but I couldn't find ANY wire ANYWHERE, so I went ahead and used a super fine tip Sharpie to draw glasses on Chip's face.

22.jpg

I think they came out pretty good, if you ask me!

23.jpg

Next step is to find a color match for Chip's hair.  This one looks pretty good to me...

24.jpg

Now I'll just color in the hair...

25.jpg

Oh, Blot.  I forgot, these markers suck ass. :redface  Now what should I do?

26.jpg

Maybe I should take a snack break.  Afte all, I've been working on this thing for like 16 minutes... it takes alot of concentration for me to keep focused on something for that long.  I think I'll have some pudding.  :thumb

27.jpg

Hmm... wait a minute... :schin

28.jpg

OH YEAH!!! :clap  That's great!  A little thin though... it would be nice if I had something to use as a brush, to get a little more detail in the hair.

29.jpg

I know, I'll just use some of this wire laying right here on the table.  :thumb

30.jpg

Just a little touch-up job with my wire "brush"...

31.jpg

There!  All done! 

32.jpg

Behold, my MASTERPIECE CHIP CHASE!  Totally 100% toon accurate, based on this screenshot held here for comparison!

33.jpg

Let me know what you guys think... I might submit this for a gallery on one of those 1337 kitbashing forums, if I can keep my cats from licking his hair off long enough to get some good pics from all angles. :wave

Archived