Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

TFormers Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

attic storage

Recommended Posts

So i need to start putting my boxes of boxes up in the attic to get them out of the garage. i have many questions regarding this. I live in TX and the heat is my main concern. Will the heat warp or damage my boxes of (mostly) empty boxes? The boxes are stored in large cardboard boxes. should i remove them from those and use a more sturdier storage bin like this?

 

892046000331xl.jpg

 

I would feel safer if i put them into actual storage bins rather than keeping them in the boxes. i don't think i have any pests up in the attic that would eat through cardboard but i'd rather be preventative from the get go. i also think these would stack nicer than boxes.

 

what do you guys think??

I would consider putting some sort of ventilation so that hot air can escape. Also, humidity would be a factor. Is the attic weather sealed? I would put a humidity guage up there and do some measuring to make sure it's not overly humid. Heat+Humidity=Plastic Killer

  • Author

my house has a ridge vent which runs along the entire ridge of the house. i was also thinking of installing some solar powered fans for the attic right in that area.

Everything plastic in my attic yellowed after a few years being in the attic. I had a ton of Star Wars carded figs turn to crap. I should have known better...

  • Author

Everything plastic in my attic yellowed after a few years being in the attic. I had a ton of Star Wars carded figs turn to crap. I should have known better...

 

was that due to heat??

I can't say anything to elements changing them if they're put into plastic bins, as I turned the apartment's bedroom into a storage room. (sleep in the living room, kinda of studio-y like)...but I'll tell you, I didn't think I'd be so happy to go from cardboard boxes to plastic bins for storage. After all, it's just moving one thing in a box, into another box, but I was really pleased when I was finished. :tflaugh Now I just need to get things finished and sort them out.

Everything plastic in my attic yellowed after a few years being in the attic. I had a ton of Star Wars carded figs turn to crap. I should have known better...

 

was that due to heat??

I could only assume so. I dont think I ever had them displayed in an area with sunlight. I had a Darth Maul signed by Ray Park in a star case in a locker in the garage (not in the attic) and the bubble yellowed. I dont think I have ever heard of heat yellowing plastic, but I dont think most people have ever heard of south Texas heat either lol

  • Author

Everything plastic in my attic yellowed after a few years being in the attic. I had a ton of Star Wars carded figs turn to crap. I should have known better...

 

was that due to heat??

I could only assume so. I dont think I ever had them displayed in an area with sunlight. I had a Darth Maul signed by Ray Park in a star case in a locker in the garage (not in the attic) and the bubble yellowed. I dont think I have ever heard of heat yellowing plastic, but I dont think most people have ever heard of south Texas heat either lol

 

ha. well i think i'm just going to keep everything in the garage then. I'm planning on buying a shed to move my yard work gear and bicycles to. I was also wanting to remove the work bench from the garage and place it in the shed. theres some good space where the work bench is that could easily be used to store boxes and give me back the garage.

Yellowing is a natural side effect to plastic over a long period of item if exposed to UV rays. Ever see wall pack lighting fixtures on the side of a building and notice some of the lenses are yellow instead of white during the day? The ultraviolet of the sun degrades the plastics, causing the yellow film. Heat accelerates it. The trick to storing plastic is a COOL, DRY environment.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!
SOCIAL NETWORKS

ToyNewsI MarvelousNews Tformers JediInsider
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the oldest, largest, and most popular news source for adult toy collectors (kidults) all around the world.

Get the scoop every day on all the popular culture action figures, comics, games, movies, toys, and more!

Contact and Support
Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy


All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Please Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.