Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

TFormers Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

"Genesis" artbook portraits

Recommended Posts

With the "Genesis" book having been available for a goodly amount of time now, I thought it wouldn't be inappropriate to show the stuff I did for it. These two pieces made it in:

 

genesismegsthumb.gif genesisstarthumb.gif

 

And these two didn't:

 

genesisopthumb.gif genesisopswthumb.gif

 

The characters (G2 Megatron, MW Starscream, G2 Laser Prime, and MW Optimus) were assigned to me, but I had more or less free rein beyond that. (For instance, I expanded what was ostensibly just an MW Optimus portrait into a tribute to this old gem.)

 

Now, I finished these in Sept. 2002, and I think my technique has improved since then. But there are still things I like about 'em, and I'm glad to have seen the first two in print. How about you - comments/critiques?

 

- Jackpot

heck ya!

 

undoubtedly your technique has improved drastically from then, but they all rock

 

i think the starscream and MW prime&Soundwave one are my favorites

 

the composition on both are most excellent and that MW one was a great nod to that old cover

 

great stuff man!

I like the general compositions. Do you know why some were not choosen? I mean professionally speaking I am sure they could tell you if it was lacking something or why it wasn't what they were looking for at the time.

 

Also can we see any TF works in the pipeline? Thanks!

those are amazing works man. but why were the second two not chosen? I would think atleast that machine wars prime one could've made it in.

I creamed myself when I saw that Machine Wars Starscream in my Genesis book, good god that's gorgeous...

The Megatron was awesome, but I'd never seen anything for MW Screamer, hence my enthusiasm.

 

The two not in the genesis book are incredible... I love the touch with Laser Prime's sword hanging off his side. Though, while I KNOW the figure does this, it doesn't look all that great seeing the giant shoulder dip back like that. Or at least not that far back anyway.

 

As for Soundwave I'd rather have seen him dismember his counterpart, Sandstorm, as opposed to Optimus Prime. Still, it's an incredible piece.

 

Please do us all a favor and submit more of your works. :thumb

has anyone heard any news on the supposed refund that those of us you got jyped by 88mph were going to recieve? still no book or refund

:(

thats some nice stuff!

  • Author

Thanks for the replies, everyone! As always, they're much appreciated.

 

the composition on both are most excellent and that MW one was a great nod to that old cover

Thank you. Thing is, I never saw that cover until very recently... but I had seen the picture as a kid. I probably even owned it. I just have no idea what it was on. A sticker book, maybe? It had to have been a US product, but beyond that... Does anyone have any possible answers to this?

 

Do you know why some were not choosen? I mean professionally speaking I am sure they could tell you if it was lacking something or why it wasn't what they were looking for at the time.

Actually, we were never given reasons for what showed up and what didn't. I got the impression that Hasbro was pushing for familiar, bankable themes - G1 Prime and Megatron, conservative portraits rather than action scenes, tried-and-true DW art, that sort of thing. So the MW Optimus/Soundwave piece in particular would've been risky to begin with. But I'm mainly guessing there. Plus, hey, maybe they just didn't like the look of 'em. Art criticism is a very subjective thing. Hell, there's stuff I'm not satisfied with in those pics, so I can't say I blame 'em.

 

I creamed myself when I saw that Machine Wars Starscream in my Genesis book, good god that's gorgeous...

Heh, thanks! But, uh, wow. Need a Kleenex?

 

Though, while I KNOW the figure does this, it doesn't look all that great seeing the giant shoulder dip back like that. Or at least not that far back anyway.

Yeah, there's some oddness going on with his upper body - his contorted arm and his ginormous backpack in particular. I think the fault lies in part in the fact that I conceived the pose for another Prime, way back when, and when I didn't get the chance to do that, I decided to give it another life in the Genesis assignment. Not my brightest move, perhaps.

Please do us all a favor and submit more of your works.

No problem - this forum is definitely in my bookmarks!

 

has anyone heard any news on the supposed refund that those of us you got jyped by 88mph were going to recieve?

Heh. I wondered how long it would take for someone to bring that up. I personally don't have any information, though; I haven't been privy to 88MPH business happenings for months and months and months. Maybe a year or more. Sorry!

 

Anyway, thank you all for your commentary. I love hearing what people have to say about my art, good or bad.

 

- Jackpot

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!
SOCIAL NETWORKS

ToyNewsI MarvelousNews Tformers JediInsider
Entertainment News International (ENI) is the oldest, largest, and most popular news source for adult toy collectors (kidults) all around the world.

Get the scoop every day on all the popular culture action figures, comics, games, movies, toys, and more!

Contact and Support
Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy


All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Please Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.