Masterpiece Grimlock

Yuyuyami

I've already done Magnus from my recent haul, after this review, the 1/60 VF-1D Yamato is the last review of newer figures I'll be doing for a while, considering that I blew my TF budget for the next couple of months on that trio. I'll also probably end up doing the photo shoots tomorrow. Dentist appointment today has left me hungry and irritable.

Anyway, TO GRIMLOCK!

Robot Mode:

Grimlock looks incredibly faithful to the animation model, though with a bit too much detail to fit in with the other Masterpieces. He almost feels like a cross between Universe 2.0 and Movie in how he's stylized. I wish the chrome had been toned down a little so he'd, aside from being too small, fit in with the MP Prime mold, which has extremely tasteful chrome. On his own, though, I can't fault Grimlock on his aesthetics, and Chrome aside, he fits in wonderfully with the Clbuttic's line as the REAL Clbuttic's Grimlock, unlike that pathetic faker Clbuttic's Grimsuck.

Having said that, though, Grimlock's robot mode has taken some rather unfortunate compromises for the gimmicks in beast mode, namely, the head shaking action which means Grimlock's torso/pelvis wiggles around like crazy. And I can't tell if this is because of the head shaking gimmick, if it would have been like this anyway or if I'm just unlucky, but the torso comes undone really easily, though it's NOWHERE near as bad as the jumbled mess that is the MP Seeker mold's chest. It's a mild annoyance that you learn to live with.

Grimlock's articulation is MUCH better than the MP Prime mold's articulation, simply because he's about a pound and a half lighter and can easily support his own weight. Where Grimlock falters is in the arms, which suffer from being on semi-limited ball joints (RAAAAARGH! I HATE BALL JOINTS! JUST GIVE ME A UNIVERSAL JOINT!) and having the beast mode feet not fold back onto the forarm, which just makes the figure awkward to handle at times.

Overall, he's a great figure, but he does have some unfortunate faults that make him frustrating. I give his robot mode 9/10.

Transformation:

Grimlock's transformation is ingenious and incredibly inspired by the original toy's transformation. It's by no means the same, even though the same things happen. The most frustrating part is when you're transforming the legs because that's when the figure is most floppy and hard to handle, which is unfortunate because I REALLY like how the tail condenses into the lower legs.

I love Grimlock's transformation, even with the floppiness in the middle. I give it a 9.5/10.

Beast Mode:

This is where Grimlock really shines. He's big, brutish and accurate. He looks awesome and he is awesome. The only flaw is that his stubby little legs mean he can't do many poses and his head is permanently tied to a gimmick that keeps it from being freely poseable: The head shaking gimmick. I enjoy the gimmick, it's a neat bit of engineering and it doesn't compromise the figure as bad as I thought it would, but the figure on a whole would have been better without it.

Unfortunately, there's not much else to say about this mode, its strengths are in its aesthetics and gimmicks and it's Grimlock's most enjoyable mode. I give it a 10/10.

Summary:

For his current price, Grimlock is only worth it if you love the character and the design, which I do. He's neat and cool and I can see some people being disappointed with him for $150. For me, I'm only disappointed that the right arm/leg is a little bit too loose, which I actually think would be a slightly common problem, given how the right cup doesn't have the same stability as the left cup, due to the electronics.

Archived