TFA: Speed Racer Transformers

Hunter Rose

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Small update, as I'm working on this in the midst of getting ready to move to Maine in a couple weeks.

I had a KB-fodder Cybertron Crosswise, who has kindly sacrificed his wheels. I used his front wheels without modification, while I extracted the hubcaps from his rear wheels and am in the process of implanting them into Lockdown's rear wheels. They're just mocked up on the car with some extra hinge pins to hold them up. I'll be spraying them black, while the new hubcaps will be painted (chrome) silver.

The bot parts are all painted with Satin Black Krylon Fusion, and I'm hand-painting his arms and hands with the same color, sprayed into a Dixie cup and brushed on. It's easier than trying to mask the parks I want to stay yellow and then spraying them.

The engine block was sprayed with Gloss Black Krylon Fusion, and will be getting (chrome) silver highlights. The headlights will be painted silver, while the tail lights will be getting a dip in some clear red Model Master paint.

The saw blade will have silver teeth.

The driver canopy is just held in place with a piece of Scotch tape, because the bot parts it actually attaches to (to make his back) aren't assembled yet. :P

From now till I move, I'm gonna concentrate on the major modding of Blurr into the Mach 5. I'll try to work on Shooting Star's detail paint between remolds of Blurr, but for the time being, I want to get Mach 5 modded/remolded and sprayed before I move, because I can do detail paint apps at my girlfriend's apartment, but I plan to refrain from major bash work once I'm there.

Anyway, here's pics!

DSCF0367.jpg

DSCF0375.jpg

DSCF03742.jpg

DSCF03722.jpg

DSCF0370.jpgDSCF03692.jpg

DSCF0368.jpgDSCF03712.jpg

Alrighty! I've finished the major/primary painting on Shooting Star, and I've set it aside to start working on Mach 5, as I want to get the major physical mods done to it and hopefully get the primary spray-painting done before I move in 1.5 - 2 weeks.

I've already half-dismantled Hunter's Blurr, and an extra I picked up to create Mach 5-specific pieces (as well as having extra parts in case I screw up. :P), and begun preliminary work.

I've mostly roughed out the center point for the hood, as well as removed the rubber vane from his head and verified that I can successfully reverse the foot/heel pieces and their posts, so the rear fender points curve down instead of up. I think I might have to try to bulk up the post for the heel, as it kind of makes a big gap in alt mode now, for being so long.

Here's a pic of Blurr with the new centerpiece, along with a photoshop mock-up of where I'm going with it. The split will be filled out with epoxy putty (or I might sand down the insides a bit more so they fit together closer), and the whole thing will be cut down to fit onto the hood/shield. The new point will also act as sort of a "hub" for the saw blade, which I'm thinking about adding a rounder end to, like a real chainsaw blade.

The rubber tips on Blurr's fenders will be removed and rebuilt with epoxy putty, so they're not so pointy and so they'll take the paint better later. I'll also be moving the headlights to the front undersides, where they should be for the Mach 5. (the old headlight wells will be filled with putty and the slight angles on all three will be smoothed down somewhat.

DSCF0376.jpgDSCF0376-B.jpg

Alrighty! I've finished the major/primary painting on Shooting Star, and I've set it aside to start working on Mach 5, as I want to get the major physical mods done to it and hopefully get the primary spray-painting done before I move in 1.5 - 2 weeks.

I've already half-dismantled Hunter's Blurr, and an extra I picked up to create Mach 5-specific pieces (as well as having extra parts in case I screw up. :P), and begun preliminary work.

I've mostly roughed out the center point for the hood, as well as removed the rubber vane from his head and verified that I can successfully reverse the foot/heel pieces and their posts, so the rear fender points curve down instead of up. I think I might have to try to bulk up the post for the heel, as it kind of makes a big gap in alt mode now, for being so long.

Here's a pic of Blurr with the new centerpiece, along with a photoshop mock-up of where I'm going with it. The split will be filled out with epoxy putty (or I might sand down the insides a bit more so they fit together closer), and the whole thing will be cut down to fit onto the hood/shield. The new point will also act as sort of a "hub" for the saw blade, which I'm thinking about adding a rounder end to, like a real chainsaw blade.

The rubber tips on Blurr's fenders will be removed and rebuilt with epoxy putty, so they're not so pointy and so they'll take the paint better later. I'll also be moving the headlights to the front undersides, where they should be for the Mach 5. (the old headlight wells will be filled with putty and the slight angles on all three will be smoothed down somewhat.

DSCF0376.jpgDSCF0376-B.jpg

This looks great! I'm excited!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, folks!

The last couple weeks have been mostly spent on my move to Maine, and now I'm getting unpacked and settled in.

I brought along most of my kitbash stuff, including projects and tools, but I'm still not sure how intensive my work is gonna be able to be yet. If nothing else, I will finish up Shooting Star's paint apps, then Nancy and I will figure out how I can go about doing stuff like cutting and sanding and spray-painting (it's almost winter in Maine, which means I'm not gonna be able to do it outside, so I may have to figure out some kind of paint-box set up).

Just bear with me, everybody. This is a major change in my life, and integrating all my stuff in with hers is a pretty big undertaking. :P

• 2 months later...

*sigh*

Once again, I got busy (Christmas, job hunting, etc.), and have been unable to dig out my painting stuff until today.

And now I've got another slight delay: when we were packing my stuff to move here, I tossed all my paint bottles and brushes into a large freezer bag, along with one of my bottles of super-strong plastic glue, which I've just discovered sprung a leak in the bag; I had to throw away a third of my paints 'cause they're old and solidified, and half of what's left are now in frosted-glass bottles because of the glue fumes, and one bottle's cap may now be permanently cemented to the bottle, but I'll find out for sure when I get out my heat gun and pliers to get the caps off all the bottles.

At any rate, most of the colors I need for Shooting Star seem to be fine, albeit with stuck caps ATM, so I should be able to get Shooting Star's details painted in, in the next few days, as well as work out the printing scale for his decals and get those made up with my custom decal printing kit.

Also, Nancy introduced me to the Maine Mall in Portland this past weekend, and hopefully, I'll be able to find a place over there that sells models and/or model paints. If there's anyone in the Portland, ME, area that can direct me to a decent source of model/hobby supplies, please shoot me a PM and let me know!

Archived