TFA: Speed Racer Transformers

Hunter Rose

OK - here is a quick Digibash of TFA-Lockdown as Racer X

LockX.jpg

The basic idea is to smooth out all the angles, and remove the spikes.

The X design is a mixture of his Track Car + Rally Car.

I would also want to move the pipes and scoop to the rear of the car (so it would hang off the backs of his arms in bot mode.)

I haven't really played with the Bot mode yet -but it would be loosely based off his Black costume from the Movie. Again with angles smoothed out and spikes removed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Primal-Convoy

Why not the leader of speedia herself as the mach 5/6? Rumour has it that speed racer was part of the inspiration for the car mode anyway...

• 1 month later...
Why not the leader of speedia herself as the mach 5/6? Rumour has it that speed racer was part of the inspiration for the car mode anyway...

You mean the Overdrive flipchanger figure? I hated that figure.

TFA Blurr however is soo full of love!

Let the WiPs Commence

:heheh

Commence, they have!

For those that don't know, HR has commissioned me to make the Mach 5 and Racer X cars from TFA Blurr and Blazing Lockdown, respectively.

So far, I've modded one of Lockdown's legs.

I rounded off the angles of the fenders by sanding, then remolded the contours by applying epoxy putty, then sanding it down. I changed the contour of the front edge of the fender (where it meets the bumper) by cutting some plastic out between the bumper and fender panel, using my heat gun to soften the fender, then pressing it into place to match the rest of the fender.

I also trimmed and sanded down the spoiler, to make it flow into the new curvature.

Behold!

DSCF0445.jpg

DSCF0446.jpg

DSCF0447.jpg

DSCF0448.jpg

Future changes include remolding the head to resemble Racer X's mask, applying an X to the chest, removing all the molded spikes, removing the side mirrors and making a wraparound windshield, moving the engine block and exaust pipes to the trunk lid, and nose extension for the alt-mode, to make it closer to the "real" car (as seen in the Speed Racer movie).

Nice start on The Shooting Star. Those two lend perfectly to Speed's and Racer X's cars. Can't wait to see the progress and finished products on both. :thumb

I'm done for the night, so I thought I'd post an update for you.

I finished re-shaping the other leg, filled in the old engine hole and mounted the engine and pipes on the back.

The engine block pegs into new holes I made in the back of Lockdown's arms, and will eventually be able to attach to the pegs on the sides of his arms as an arm-mounted dual machine-gun.

The pips are temporarily glued to the backs of the legs and rest against the engine block. I'm not entirely happy with the way they look yet, and am considering whether to cut the molded exhaust holes off so the pipes actually butt up against the sides of the engine, or just sand them smooth. I think I also need to make some shallow slots to glue the other ends into.

I'm gonna add more putty to the spoiler to fill it out better, as well as putting some in the space in the hood to give it a curvy dip in the middle.

DSCF0452.jpg

DSCF0451.jpg

DSCF0449.jpg

DSCF0450.jpg

Next up, I'm gonna start modding the head and building the new nose for the car, which I think I might be able to do in three sections after all--I just need to shave some plastic from the sliding bar the fenders fold against to make his hips.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a minor update--no pics.

Mostly, I'm just working on building the new front-end for the car right now.

After careful consideration, I've decided it's not feasible to try to split the nose into three pieces, 'cause I can't really modify how/where the fender tips fold in to make Lockdown's hips, without compromising the structural integrity.

So, I'm building the new nose as a single piece, attached to the front of the center/hood, with space on the underside for the saw to attach; basically, the entire piece that attaches to LD's arm will be T-shaped, and still accommodate the saw attachment.

I'm relocating LD's headlights forward, into the new nose piece, where they will be painted silver and covered by clear plastic lenses.

I'll take a couple pics after I get the rough nose-assembly together, before I start sanding it down.

Archived