TFA: Speed Racer Transformers

Hunter Rose

I have been wanting to do this for a while. Ever since I got my Taejo Speed Racer Hotwheel.

I am also considering making a Mach 5 out of TFA Blurr when he comes out...

I started with a simple Digibash:

TaejoBot.jpg

I dissassembled a Jazz and tried to Dye the car parts with horrible results - so I went and bought some Testors Dark Red. Added a few coats and let sit over night.

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

You may also be able to see here that I made some minor mods.

I removed the side mirrors and the exhaust/Nunchaku holders, I also shaved down the front bumper.

My next step is to start reassembling him, make some touch-ups and figure out what to do with his body.

Luckily Jazz is black & White already so i think i can keep it the same... however i am also considering going ALL WHITE with him, like Taejo's Racing suit. But i was kind of a fraid of the Candy Cane effect...

I am also trying to figure out something to do with his head. Originally I wanted to give him two seperate eyes, or swap heads with Prowl - neither of those worked out.

I also have to figure out how to do the graphics - i can get clean pics of the grapics in jpg. but i dont know if i should go buy some of that decal paper or frehand it or what....

More as I get further...

suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks!

:hutner

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been wanting to do this for a while. Ever since I got my Taejo Speed Racer Hotwheel.

I am also considering making a Mach 5 out of TFA Blurr when he comes out...

I started with a simple Digibash:

TaejoBot.jpg

I dissassembled a Jazz and tried to Dye the car parts with horrible results - so I went and bought some Testors Dark Red. Added a few coats and let sit over night.

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

You may also be able to see here that I made some minor mods.

I removed the side mirrors and the exhaust/Nunchaku holders, I also shaved down the front bumper.

My next step is to start reassembling him, make some touch-ups and figure out what to do with his body.

Luckily Jazz is black & White already so i think i can keep it the same... however i am also considering going ALL WHITE with him, like Taejo's Racing suit. But i was kind of a fraid of the Candy Cane effect...

I am also trying to figure out something to do with his head. Originally I wanted to give him two seperate eyes, or swap heads with Prowl - neither of those worked out.

I also have to figure out how to do the graphics - i can get clean pics of the grapics in jpg. but i dont know if i should go buy some of that decal paper or frehand it or what....

More as I get further...

suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks!

:hutner

Hunter,

if you do it on decal paper, get the kind that's for use in printers; NOT all decal paper can be used in inkjet printers. Usually, the paper will say on the package what it can be used in. As for freehand, the sharp lines needed for the design preclude this. you may also want to consider generating the design on computer, and transferring it to some frisket film via carbon paper. Then just cut along the lines, and apply the new stencil to the hood. Paint as normal. (use an airbrush if you have one.)

You may also want to take some 600 grit sanding film to the red parts of the body, and wet sand it for a dead-smooth finish, followed by a treatment of 0000-grade steel wool. Then blow off the filings from the steel wool, and clearcoat. This will really make the red shine like all get-out!

If you want to use white as well, to avoid a 'candy-cane effect", avoid pure white. Try an off-white (a little grey or green-blue, not red!)

As for using prowl's head, what was the difficulty? If you can tell me or show me, I can figure out a way from here to resolve it.

That's all I can think of for now. -WV

The problem with Prowl's head is that it is attatched to the neck all as one piece.

so it ends in a ball joint (his shoulders hold the cup) - While the Jazz mold is the opposite. Neck and balljoint are attached to shoulders and head has the cup.

I'm not going to rebuild structural stuffs...

As for your other ideas - I appreciate them but I think I am done. I went to two hobby shops neither had that decal paper.

As for the sanding and repainting... I think I'm done with this... the KB life just isn't for me...

The rest of his fiddly bits should be dry tonight, so i can finish reassembling him and then he can stand on the shelf next to Quint his retarded KB-Brother.

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome idea Hunter! The paint looks nice & shiny :tfgrin

Those Testors decal kits are decent quality (final results look painted on VS stickers sitting on top)

Looks like a great start - WV has the right idea: shelve him until the proper motivation returns, rather than

rush a fantastic crossover custom to completion - this one is surely worth the time.

• 1 month later...

Lo and behold - this project is not quite dead yet

In addition to a Taejo 2.0 on the horizon -

TFA blurr's inevitable release is giving me an itching for a Mach 5 Bash...

Whats more - here's a pic that got me alittle hard in ways I shouldn't elaborate on:

http://fc80.deviantart.com/fs9/i/2006/063/..._by_REX_203.jpg

Obviously not exactly TFA Blurr - but... :drool

I also have a fairly ambitious idea for a Racer X.

I keep hoping some Uber-Generous and Talented Kitbasher is going to swoop in and rescue me - but until then I'm going to pound away (and probably destroy another few TFA figures in the process...)

Stay Tuned ....

Archived