Big Lots Transformers KO's

Timothy.R

I have them all MISB for collector purposes. I took an extra Superion KO when i bought them they were buy one get one free. And i already had Superion KO i got for easter in a bastket. I opened Superion KO and was disappointed so i left the others in the box. Its good to know that they others arent as bad. Maybe ill pop open a Dev KO now ;) Thanks

Generally, KO's depend largely upon 3 things: 1) the quality of the plastic used, 2) the quality of the mold used, and 3) the people assembling them.

From my experience, some knock-offs aren't that bad; they're almost as good as the originals. But these are rare, and the main line of them seem to range from fair to EXTREMELY POOR. The oil content of the plastic generally determines the density and therefore the quality of the plastic produced. Much of the time, the plastic is far too light (probably too much air or something), and I've had ones that crumbled in my hands.

THe mold issue stems from the fact that the companies that turn these things out will often buy an original version, and cast their molds off of them. The result is a considerable loss of detail. And as these molds are cheap too, they don't last as long as the original molds th companies use. Not to mention the molding techniques and personnel they utilize are also probably just as shoddy.

This brings me to 3) the people they employ are most likely sweatshop people, and these huinks of plastic probably don't get inspected: when it's piecework, you care about QUANTITY, not QUALITY. And since most of these outfits tend to be fly-by-night, they couldn't care less about US safety and regulatory laws on toys.

In short, these oft-misshapen "children of petroleum" are just that: the product of companies that make as many as they can for as little investment as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at big lots today and picked up all six constructicons in two packs for 6 dollars. the fists were included but not the head or chest pieces. My question is, if I bought a legit constructicon head and chest piece off of ebay would they fit and work well enough to make devistator? My Kos are called "quick change transformin ability" and in the G2 yellow colors. I wouldn't be takin it apart much if ever so if it works it would be awesome. A PM would be helpful :thumb If originals don't work then does anyone have a KO for sale?

I was at big lots today and picked up all six constructicons in two packs for 6 dollars. the fists were included but not the head or chest pieces. My question is, if I bought a legit constructicon head and chest piece off of ebay would they fit and work well enough to make devistator? My Kos are called "quick change transformin ability" and in the G2 yellow colors. I wouldn't be takin it apart much if ever so if it works it would be awesome. A PM would be helpful :thumb If originals don't work then does anyone have a KO for sale?

Last weekend I went to big lots and bought a constructicon 2 pack that had hook in it. Since my original G1 hook had a broken leg, I figured why not try and disassemble the two and fix the G1 one. There are only 2 problems with this mod I did. 1. his original "chrome" legs are now yellow, and 2. the hole where bone crusher slides in to form an arm is loose. Basically Devastaor's arm can fall off, which really doesn't matter at this point since I don't technically play with them. The pieces all look the same, it just seems that hole is just a little bit wider. This gets to my point Skywarp80. It should work for you, but there might be some fitment issues due to the mold condition. My answer would be, it should work. These things are pretty much the G1 constructicons, just with crappier plastic.

Last weekend I went to big lots and bought a constructicon 2 pack that had hook in it. Since my original G1 hook had a broken leg, I figured why not try and disassemble the two and fix the G1 one. There are only 2 problems with this mod I did. 1. his original "chrome" legs are now yellow, and 2. the hole where bone crusher slides in to form an arm is loose. Basically Devastaor's arm can fall off, which really doesn't matter at this point since I don't technically play with them. The pieces all look the same, it just seems that hole is just a little bit wider. This gets to my point Skywarp80. It should work for you, but there might be some fitment issues due to the mold condition. My answer would be, it should work. These things are pretty much the G1 constructicons, just with crappier plastic.

Thanks! I would much rather pay 20 ish dollars for the constructicons than 360 in mint on card condition!

Honestly, I think I would just opt to try to find a gen 2 devvy, and repaint him. at least you know he'll mostly stay together.

Off topic, but do the Gen 2 toys go along with the Gen 1's? Just wondering if the storyline was a spin off of gen 1.

Thanks! I would much rather pay 20 ish dollars for the constructicons than 360 in mint on card condition!

Yeah, for display purposes, a Devastator KO isn't bad. If you really want a collectible item, I'd try and get a real Devastator. I got the one I mentioned off ePay for $120. It included everything and the only problem was one of hooks legs was broken. Sometimes Wheeljackslab has Devastators at good prices too. The only reason I didn't get one from him is because he didn't have one at the time, and I really wanted a Devy to stand next to Omega Supreme.

Archived