Big Lots Transformers KO's

Timothy.R

Hey guys, i took ride up to my local big lots since sometimes they sell some older transformers figures for dirt cheap, but today i noticed a TON of knock off figures, they had G1: superion, devastator (in yellow), defensor (with a red hot spot), and the smaller scaled ones of superion, correct colored devastator, and rail racer. they also had two packs of the smaller planes that form the correct size superion and devastator. they had a bunch of larger scaled insecticons. they had a HUGE dragon megatron in red and black. and they also had a bunch of the legends cybertron figures, but they were deluxe sized and slightly different molds to make them look cheaper.

anyways, i was wondering if any of you guys have seen these and/or picked up a set and what you thought of them.

i grabbed superion and defensor, i wanted devastator, but i couldn't deal with the yellow (even though it would have been more realistic) just to hold me over until i can afford the real ones. they will suffice until then, i'll just order some stickers from reprolabels to make them look a bit more decent. the two packs were $2, the smaller combiners $5, the larger combiners $8

Well, if you don't mind doing a bit of trimming/sanding/cleaning up on the plastic, these sets are good enough for what you are getting, a cheap plastic knock off version of 25 year old toys.

Devastator (full-size, yellow) - Thumbs up. I like him and plan on eventually painting mine in SHOW AKKURAT colors.

Defensor - I actually like the red on Hot Spot better than baby blue. I never really cared for the Protectobots when I was a kid, but Defensor is something that most other combiners were not, bulky and rock steady. Two thumbs up

Superion (full-size) - MASSIVE thumbs down. Look on the card art on the back. They are almost indistinguishable from the original figures, right? Take them out of the box. You'll notice that you cannot pull the legs down on ANY of the four smaller bots. Where the legs were a separate piece that you could pull down on the original figures, the torso and legs are molded as a single piece on this knock off. Ordinarily I wouldn't care because I would keep the figures combined into their ultimate form, but with this flaw in the figures, it ends up making the Superion's arms too short. On the original Superion, his fists were even with his hips, and since you can't extend the legs on the knock-off, his fists are actually even with the fists on Silverbolt. He looks incredibly lame, even for a knock off. Continuing on this theme, the arms are also molded as a single piece, lacking the hinge on the original figure that allowed you to pull the arms out away from the body and then have them go straight down. You can only pull the arms out at an angle from the body on the knock off.

THIS l[]l vs. this /[]\

I am returning Superion to Big!Lots

Mini-Devastator (green) - I have not taken this one out of the package as I promised it to my brother. Looking at it, though, I kind of wish that I had got one for myself. Looks fully transformable and really cool.

I had the defensor and unfortunatly have to be careful with hotspot...damn arms broke off their hinges...but made me realize of all the Combiner bodies his was the most complex and best structured.

FWIW I think I got the same green Devastator at Walgreens a while back. Not bad if you want a static, non-play-withable stand in for G1 Dev, which is how I have him posed, along w/ Classics Dev. I have the mini-Devastator coming in the mail, actually, I'll let you knw what it's like.

Black and Yellow Dev was my favorite KO till my cat knocked him down off the shelf and... busted.. Not that I'm expecting much else from 5 bucks of shoddy plastic, but it held together great. Everything was included in that KO.. just the sticker apps really blew donkeys. Doesn't matter really in the long run..

Superion I would hold great reservation on. It's got to be the worst constructed KO of them all. The limbs are prown to peices popping off with very little effort.. I had a head notch on one of the guys completely pop out of it's socket.. took a bit of effort getting it back in there..

Defensor is pretty sweet too.. I liked mine. Held together really well, which is the important part.. but thanks to my sister's DDR playing and hopping around in the game room, he too has taken a fall.. and I haven't worked up the courage or the motivation to check in on what kind of condition hes in..

Ironically, the only KOs that have survived as of late are my Superion and Valgus KOs. Both of them really weren't steller in KO terms.

yeah, i have to agree, superion is awful, the arms are stubby and the individual robot modes are severely lacking (but that's not too bad since i'm not to concerned with that). i'm really happy with the defensor. tomorrow i think i'll pick up the yellow devastator and the mini devastator and maybe the mini superion.

Archived