GIJoe AND Transformers "Art of War"

deceptikhan

I am bringing these to the table because i am an avid Transformers comics reader of ALL types and ages. I re-read my comics all the time (after memory wears off usually to keep up with the lore') and recently had re-read all my GIJoe Transformers comics. These were back in the Dream Wave days i believe.

"Art of War" is about a time AFTER Cobra encounters the Cybertronians and has tried to wield their power and fails, but some SUPER SECRET top secret Goverment members kept some peices of the Deecepticons, namely MegaTRON and Soundwave's heads. The use this by reverse bio enginering their recources and curcuitry into this all powerfull being. Serpent O.R., or, Serpentor. He is the SON of MEGATRON and is a good book.

This is a 5 part comic and the other one i mentioned briefly in caption "Black Horizen" is a 2 part 48 page each comic. BH has Bludgeon and Optimus Prime battle PLUS has the Cobra-La and if you think thats not good enough it RE-introduces the "Original" GIJOe member, commander Colten (?: I will get this info as im at the Library right now and i cant remeber his full name but i BELIEVE he is the one that started the large GIJoe figs with "KUNG-FU GRIP" back in the 60's)

Anyways please if anyone else has anything to say about this OR has read and enjoyed this themsleves, join in on the converstaion.

There were threads about them when they were new...

Art of War was probably the best TF story I've ever read, and BH was a very original look on the series. I would've loved to see where the story went next in vol 5, but we'll never know since Devil's Due lost the rights to GI Joe. They put all 4 volumes in an oversized hardcover, and I'd love to own that someday.

There were threads about them when they were new...

Art of War was probably the best TF story I've ever read, and BH was a very original look on the series. I would've loved to see where the story went next in vol 5, but we'll never know since Devil's Due lost the rights to GI Joe. They put all 4 volumes in an oversized hardcover, and I'd love to own that someday.

Hey again Drewbie :wave Thats news to me about a hardcover. Its :awsum news actually. Did the continuity hypocrite itself? Anyways i agree that these are good storys. What was your favorite part on the story? Characters? Any insight on what you liked?

Agreed they are NOT new, but they are storys that kick azz lol I will sight my insights on it if this thread post provails as its a very cool look at the two franchises together.

• 1 month later...

I liked that most of the characters were acturate to what we'd seen before, but that the whole story line was fresh. Megatron was only a villian in one of the 4 volumes. Bumblebee actually died. It was filled with twists and turns that really made me want the next issue because I didn't know what would happen next.

I liked that most of the characters were acturate to what we'd seen before, but that the whole story line was fresh. Megatron was only a villian in one of the 4 volumes. Bumblebee actually died. It was filled with twists and turns that really made me want the next issue because I didn't know what would happen next.

:sbpfx

Hey Drewbie, i recently picked up the TPB of Spotlights (with Arcee, Grimlock, and all ther missing ones). I havent read it yet as i only read comics like 2 or 3 days a month. I just read all day to catch up :P

• 1 month later...

I loved all four volumes although I did find the second to be the weakest. That said, it did have some interesting TF designs like Jazz and the old style Stunticons. Of course I can't mention TF designs in these series without returning to the first volume and Rattler Thundercracker or Sunstreaker and Sideswipe as Stinger Jeeps.

Everyone raves about the War Within designs and not without good reason, but the designs in this series were equally impressive and deserving of toys especially with both franchises' movie releases next year..

Characterwise, the writer definitely knew his stuff with Megatron, Prime, Starscream, Grimlock, Wheeljack, Perceptor and Bumblebee all being true to form. Though I was surprised to see Hot Rod rallying the troops in vol 3 especially with Prowl and Ultra Magnus present. Also liked Eject's characterisation and Prowl's appearance.

It was a surprising AND very interesting take on Serpentor and the first time I've actually liked the character in any series. Also, I was surprised to find I liked the idea of Hawk merging with the Matrix in Vol 3 especially since Vol 4 expanded on it in some nice ways.

Little touches I liked throughout included Cosmos picking up Hawk in front of the reporter, Hawk channel surfing psychically and Prowl and co. apprehending the human criminals.

Nice to see lesser TF's such as the Pretender Monsters get some screen time. The Cobra-La deal with Unicron and provision of Pretender shells for the Decepticons were nice touches too.

As I write this, it occurs to me that there are parallels with earlier TF comics such as Ratchet becoming a reluctant warrior as in the early Marvel run or Bumblebee being destroyed as in the first GI Joe/TF crossover. Also Prime mentioning his days as a clerk ala Dreamwave.

Love the artwork in Vols 1 and 3 in particular, especially the interlocking covers of Vol 3.

Though I was a huge fan of Dreamwave, this series was far superior to their GI Joe/ TF crossover. Given what a great fan of Dreamwave I was, this says a lot about the Devil's Due version.

Was disappointed DD lost the rights to GI Joe especially since there won't be a Vol 5.

Anyway, I found this to be a great series which has never gotten the recogntion it deserved. In fact I much prefer it to IDW's Transformer series which I have found to be the weakest TF comic series. I suppose I'm old school G1 and IDW have changed too much whereas this series and the Dreamwave G1 stayed truer, in my opinion, to the source material. Not saying IDW is bad, it's just not my cup of tea.

Archived