Awesomer Blitzwing - A Step By Step ADVENTURE by Matt Booker

Matt Booker

Animated Blitzwing isn't exactly flooding retail yet, so many of you won't benefit from this right away, but those of you that have him know that his wings get in the way of arm poses.

This is a quick guide on how to change that in (yet again) just six easy steps!

Step 1: Cut a Hole in the Box

"Really, zis joke again? Do not make me crush you, human."

blitzwingrg5.png

Step 1: Remove The Wings

The wings should just pop off if you apply a little bit of pressure, but this step may be more difficult than it first appears...

blitzwingpunygiant1ur9.png

"LET GO OHV ZHAT, YOU PUNY GIANT!"

blitzwingpunygiant2an7.png

Step 2: Subdue Blitzwing

elkabongxy8.png

"Hmm. Und how to reattach zis?"

Step 3: Other

While Blitzy's napping, now's a great time to do some minor touch ups to make him even better.

First, if you fold Blitzwing's legs up so they form the treads of his alt modes, you'll find his knees are molded like treads but not painted black. A sharpie works well enough to fix this, and the locations are easy to find (as illustrated by Soundwave, below.)

soundwaveblitzwingqq0.png

"Soundwave- Superior... El Kabong- Inferior..."

The sharpie shines a different color, but doesn't look much different when not in glaring light. If that bothers you, just paint it to match.

While you have that sharpie out, fix Cybertron mode Optimus Prime's treads. It's an easy fix, but I seem to be the only person who's posted about doing it. He looks MUCH better and is show accurate.

cybertronprimetreadsmu9.png

Another thing that will help you enjoy Blitzwing is to shave a bit off of his backpack tab. It's that tab in between his shoulders that snaps into the backpack, and on mine it fit too tightly in the slot. Rather than feel like you're going to break him every time you transform him from bot mode, take a razor blade (or sharp instrument of your choice) and lightly shave a bit from the sides of the tab. Be careful, and just barely do it as it doesn't take much.

blitzwingbackpacktabim7.png

-CONTINUED IN NEXT POST-

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Step 4: Examine Wings

Looking closely at the wings, you'll find that they are attached via a round black peg. This particular kind of peg is often used as a swivel joint. Two examples would be Ratchet and Starscream, as both their legs have a swivel joint using a connector similar to this.

So what keeps this peg from being a joint? Little ridges of plastic that are just begging to be shaved!

There was probably some safety issue involved, but the wings' difference in durability is hardly any at all. I want to say 'especially for careful collectors' but I don't want anyone to think that this makes them delicate. It doesn't, and they are still sturdy and since you can rotate them out of the way they are probably less likely to come off during play posing.

This also does not affect his transformation or the stability of his alt modes. The wings still securely clip into each other so rotation is not an issue. In fact, it's easier to transform him because the wings can be rotated out of the way while you clip or unclip his arms together.

"Just tell them it's your cybertronian mode. It worked for me."

cybertronmodekk4.png

"Are you grabbing your own-"

"OHV COURSE! I alvays fly by za seat ohv my PANTS!"

By the way, Megatron is standing at that angle unsupported. He is very well balanced!

Step 5: Carving

Shave along the red area until the ridges are mostly smooth and even with the rest of the wing. Basically anything that's sticking up in the red colored area should be shaved flat. Well, except the peg, but that should be obvious as it's what we're wanting to unrestrict.

That, and it's what attaches the wing to his shoulder. :)

shaveherefw5.png

sideviewzu9.png

The best way is just to look at it yourself and think about how it will need to rotate around the black piece on Blitzwing's shoulder. Now that you understand the principle, you should be able to fine tune my description into an action.

I used a razor blade. For proper holding techniques, see Awesome Stingers and You, A step by step to a better Bumblebee.

"OOH! Does zis make me EMO? AH HAHAHAHAHA!"

emoblitzwingvq7.png

Step 6: Re-attach and Rotate!

What, you wanted instructions for this step?

Reverse Step 1. Pose Blitzwing Awesomely.

"At long last! I can do za Macarena!"

blitzwingmacarenatj7.png

"Vat? *sigh* Zis IHZ my action pose..."

blitzwingrg5.png

"Hand ovah za Allspahk, or I tear za little girlie-bot to pieces!"

angryblitzwingtz5.png

"You missed! Hahahahahahaha!"

blitzyrp4.png

Okay, so that last picture was before the mod. I put it on here so you could see the plastic ridges still there on his exposed left wing/shoulder thingie, and because I really like that picture.

I hope you all liked it, and if you're a Blitzwing owner I very much recommend you do the mod. I don't really do complete kitbashes like some of the other great customizers on here, but I like to find ways to improve the figures I own. If this helped you, or made you laugh, let me know. :)

~Matt Booker

When I get him, I may have to mail em to you to fix. *is lazy*

When I get him, I may have to mail em to you to fix. *is lazy*

C'mon, it's an easy fix. :) So some people can live with their Bumblebee having non-Awesome stingers. This mod, though, is even easier and takes away the one really annoying thing about Blitzwing's bot mode.

:clap

Nicely done!

I loved the SW bopping him on the head bit.

I thought you'd like that. :)

I'm actually thinking of trimming the knobs on Laserbeak, as if they're shorter his hands will touch the guitar better. If I do that, I'll probably glue the excess under his tail so Soundwave can have more El Kabong hijinks.

~Matt Booker

ALWAYS entertaining. Did you do the Prowl knee mod?

Thanks!

As for the knee mod, you mean the one for Animated Prowl? I went with the one where you trim the thigh pad a bit. I don't like the look of it just turned upside down. The Animated line and Jin's post about fixes for them was actually what started me wanting to improve my tfs. I'm hoping these guides will help other people do the same. :)

~Matt Booker

Informative (although I did think of this before I read of your version), well-shot, and freakin' HILARIOUS!! "Subdue Blitzwing"- LOL! And the shot of Soundwave displaying BW's knee, comedy gold. You, sir, are a talented modder and a funny funny guy! :beer

Informative (although I did think of this before I read of your version), well-shot, and freakin' HILARIOUS!! "Subdue Blitzwing"- LOL! And the shot of Soundwave displaying BW's knee, comedy gold. You, sir, are a talented modder and a funny funny guy! :beer

Thanks! Each of these pictures is the result of me taking upward of 10 or 15 shots from different angles, then keeping the best one for a quick touch up in paint shop pro. (As evidenced by the 'photoshopped' frown on the Headmaster.)

After I did the 'El Kabong' shot, I wanted to have Soundwave standing on him or something, and was thinking about trophy hunters. Then I noticed Soundwave has hands perfect for that 'Vannah White" or hand-model style pose. So I went with a combination of both, and that's how they're currently on display.

My favorite is probably the 'puny giant' bit. :)

If you do a similar mod to Blitzwing, it's worth it. His posability is much better.

~Matt Booker

Archived