Review: Cybertron - The Ultimate Collection DVD Set

Blitz-Wing

Skipping the Energon series altogether, Hasbro recently introduced the Cybertron TV series onto DVD. Squeezing 7 DVDs into one set is quite the feat, but can this set stand on it's own without the lure of special features or behind the scenes looks? Get a look at the set and it's contents by reading the review here.

52 episodes...39.99...roughly $0.76 an episode, well worth it in my opinion. Of course I rarely ever look at special features anyway...

For what you get for under $50 I have no complaints.

I was fun watching it through from start to finish and in a langue that didn't require subtitles for a chance.

A couple of worthy mentionables. Play all is fantastic. Each episode is split apart so you can easily jump titles and credits (avoiding the horrible rap theme/mix) and get right into the next episode.

Dvd transfer was good, and doesn't look halfassed.

The last disk contains a bonus episode entitled "Inferno" which fills in everything that gets completely skipped over in episode 2 and further fills in the gaps before the autobots all arrive on earth.

Galaxy Force is by far superior (subbed) but for an asking price of 30-45 bucks this is well worth it for anyone who liked either incarnation of the series and infinitely better than both Armada/Energon.

My personal opinion.

Better than G1 (on going plot/characters who make sense/better animation) but nowhere near the quality in writing/character development that is expressed consistantly in Beast Wars/Animated.

The only thing that really gets on the nerves is the DBZ powering up/super mode animation sequences that are used over and over and over and.... :argh

One thing that makes it a little more fun is the character commentary Prime and others throw at each other in such sequences. The indivual character accents may be a bit of a draw back but after animated didn't bother me much and if anything give an otherwise bland character some life.

I still can't get over the irish accents on Giant Planet. :tfrofl

The show was the best of the 3 Unicron continuities, but IMO that's not saying much. Way too much stock footage used (transform sequences, etc), beyond cheese one liners thrown in (probably where they couldn't translate) and an various places where the plot just stalls and makes you want to sleep. There are alot of good highlights (Vector Prime's death, for instance, is moving), but overall not a memorable series to me.

i just wanna know why hasbro won't just throw us a bone and release this shot subbed and uncensored. iirc quite a few fans would kill for car robots, micron densetsu and superlink sets. not to mention some properly translated japanese g1 sets and beast wars sets.

I am in the middle of watching this. I bought it a few weeks ago (this and smallville S.5 on disk(s) ) and have watched the first disk so far. I noticed they changed the part where Thundercrackers voice was starscream's when Thunderscream blew up the secret base, the FAKE secret base. So that was a relief and im sure there are more surprises asa well.

Timothy Virochy:

i kind of want to buy this, but i'm not sure how much i'd like it. i've seen parts of episodes here and there but never really got a feel for it, compared to say G1 beast wars and animated how does this rank?

If you watch the whole series from the begginging to the end (not all at once neccessarily) and ignore the stock footage itsd a pretty rad show imo. Worse though then BW or G1 ;)

Archived