Classics Combiner Team Repaints

Frapp

Now that I've managed to score a Universe / Classics 2 Silverbolt, I was thinking he needs his crew to command.

I was thinking this morning of which molds I could use for the 4 bots, but I couldn't think of any that would work. I thought of Classics 1 StarScream mold, but I really don't feel like having a tuckfon of Screamer Clones.

Any thoughts?

Edit

While I'm at it, why don't I ask this as well...

Who could I use for the combiner teams? I have no intention of trying to wedge in actual combination abilities into the toys, so they'll be more specialized teams than anything else.

I'd like to keep the troops (so to speak) smaller than the leaders to keep some kind of continuity between them. Preferably deluxe sized.

Aerialbots

Silverbolt : Hasbro

Team : Variations of Seeker

Combaticons

Onslaught : Tanker = Hasbro

Brawl : Tank = ???

Swindle : Jeep = Classics Hound

Blast Off : Shuttle = ???

Vortex : Helicopter = ???

Protectobots

Hot Spot : Fire Truck = Classics Inferno

Streetwise : Police Car = Prowl with a Head Swap

Blades : Helicopter = ???

Groove : Police Motorcycle = ???

First Aid : Ambulance = ???

Stunticons

Motormaster : Semi = SDCC Nemesis Prime w/ paint apps

Drag Strip : Formula One = Classics Mirage

Wildrider : Sports Car = ???

Breakdown : Sports Car w/ Wing = Classics Rodimus

Dead End : Sports Car = ???

For the Stunticons, I wager I could use just about any of the sports car molds (Sunstreaker, Sideswipe) but I'd like to see what other ideas you guys can come up with.

Now that I've managed to score a Universe / Classics 2 Silverbolt, I was thinking he needs his crew to command.

I was thinking this morning of which molds I could use for the 4 bots, but I couldn't think of any that would work. I thought of Classics 1 StarScream mold, but I really don't feel like having a tuckfon of Screamer Clones.

Any thoughts?

I know what you mean, but after seeing an Air Raid custom by Ptitvite recently, I'd say go for the Starscream mold (with slight mods).

Check it out and see what you think: Ptitvite's Air Raid

Thanks for the idea with his Air Raid. That looks pretty good.

And thanks for the link too, I'll be visiting there a bit now too.

Also, edited the first post. Got a lot of ideas and would like to see what would work.

well there is a classics Blades (repaint of cybertron Evac coming out) and I think a repainted Dropshot would look good as Brawl. Astrotrain with alterations to get rid of the train bits would work well for Blast Off and a repainted Tankoctane might work for Vortex if simplified unless you really want to keep him as a copter then a good bet would be Energon Bulkhead.

Bruticus is probably the easiest one to come up with bots for with Menasor being second. (using a classics Hotrod and 2 sunstreakers as that mold can be varied upon to give another look in 4 ways to give a different look in robot mode.)

My suggestions in bold, I changed one of yours:

Aerialbots

Combaticons

Brawl : Tank = Movie Brawl with head swap

Protectobots

Streetwise : Police Car = Classics Prowl with a Head Swap

Groove : Animated Prowl w/head swap

First Aid : Ambulance = Animated Ratchet, modded w/head swap

Stunticons

Wildrider : Sports Car = Classics Rodimus

Breakdown : Sports Car w/ Wing = Classics Sunstreaker

Dead End : Sports Car = Classics Prowl w/mods and head swap

The helicopter is a toughie since there really hasn't been any deluxe scale choppers in awhile. Same with the shuttle.

Thanks for the idea with his Air Raid. That looks pretty good.

And thanks for the link too, I'll be visiting there a bit now too.

Also, edited the first post. Got a lot of ideas and would like to see what would work.

Anytime, bro. Welcome to the kitbashing party. ;)

I'll check out the first post and give some ideas you may find helpful.

Aerialbots

*These are good to go--Your best bet is to use veriations on the Seeker mold (Acid Storm would be great.....and cheaper than Starscream)

Combaticons

Brawl : Tank = ???

*Onslaught - good to go (I plan to use this one myself for this very reason).

*Brawl - Use TFTM Brawl (deluxe size)--I have one and I've modded part of one arm already, to be "G1-styled". I plan to mod the other arm and possibly do a leg swap with the 2-pack Classics Megs (tank) to make him a bit larger (and maybe add some styrene to any gaps or parts).

*Swindle - Use either Classics Hound or the upcoming Animated Swindle (search Google). Animated Swindle only needs some new hands and a new head (the head is WAY too "animated").

Blast Off - Use Classics Astrotrain. I'm halfway through modding mine into Blast Off. I move his wings back (so you don't see them in bot mode) and I've taken the extra Universe Prowl head (from my Jazz custom) and modded it with some clear plastic and styrene to make a more G1-styled head for him

Vortex - Use Armada Cyclonus/Energon Cyclonus/Cybertron Buzzsaw for this. I too was stumped on this one, but once I saw the mold in comparison to Classics Astrotrain to gauge size, it works quite well. You can mod it some if you like, or you can keep it as-is and simply repaint it. If you use Armada or Energon Cyclonus, I'd replace the head. If you use Cybertron Buzzsaw, the head is pretty cool as-is, but you could always add some sculpting putty or styrene to change it up a bit. (I'm using Buzzsaw for mine).

Protectobots

Streetwise : Police Car = Prowl with a Head Swap

Groove : Police Motorcycle = ???

First Aid : Ambulance = ???

Hot Spot - Use Classics Inferno or Cybertron Mudflap.

Streetwise - Prowl is perfect for it.

Blades - Again, if you go with deluxe sizes on the other limbs, I'd go with the Armada Cyclonus mode (or one of the other variations). Cybertron Evac looks cool though, but it's still too large in comparison.

Groove - Maybe use Sideways from one of the different TF series? (I'm not sure, since I've never owned the mold). OR you could pick up Animated Prowl and use some styrene or sculpting putty on it.

First Aid - Use Universe Ironhide or Energon Towline.

Stunticons

Wildrider : Sports Car = ???

Breakdown : Sports Car w/ Wing = Classics Rodimus

Dead End : Sports Car = ???

Motormaster - SDCC Nemesis Prime or Classics Optimus Prime

Drag Strip - Classics Mirage is perfect (just needs a new head or a small mod)

Wildrider - Classics Rodimus would work great with this one

Breakdown - Universe Sunstreaker (with a new head or mod)--the original G1 car was a Lamborghini, so why not use the current Lambo-styled car?

Dead End - Classics Rodimus POSSIBLY might work (may need some mods to it).

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions. Definitely some info to think over.

While I was mowing the lawn this afternoon, it came to me that Energon had some combiners. Do you think the Helicopter Limb and Tank Limb (for Bruticus Max) would work for the Combaticons? I know they were small. I'm not sure though if Classics Onslaught would end up dwarfing them though.

The same Helicopter limb might work for Blades, as I would end up using Inferno (Voyager Class) for Hot Spot, so the size continuity wouldn't be too mucked up.

The Armada Cyclonus is a good idea, however I've been spoiled with articulation with the Classics line. :P

They could work, but they are a bit small compared to even the Armada Cyclonus figure. I would check on the sizes (actual "inches" of them) and map it out somehow to see if it would be a good fit or not. You definitely don't want to end up with a kick a$$ combiner, with small arms and large legs. lol

Good luck with it and I'll check back to get some helpful info for myself and to offer some help in return, if I can. Hope to see you over there soon, bro.

Archived