Writers Reveal Theme Of ‘Transformers Sequel. The Bad News? No Dinobots

johnDoe4880

A: Scanning and insta-changing is Magic Shrinky Bad.

We'll agree to disagree.

B: The Allspark DID magic shrinky.

I'm not defending that choice.

C: Lands next to the UBER Cool Car Dealership ain't so spiffy either.

No one landed next to a car dealership.

Once you have the Magic Scanny thing going, they could scan Metal Sculptures of dinosaurs. (or Grimlock might not need to be a dinosaur)

Then all you could turn into would be a metal dinosaur sculpture. You could not infer the joints and how the animal would move. The Transformers wouldn't even know it was supposed to represent something that could move. You have to scan a functional version of something to turn into it.

I'm just saying that for a writer "I couldn't think of anything" is a pretty lame excuse. Studio doom aside, I think these guys just kinda suck.

They didn't use that excuse. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I read it like this:

“We couldn’t quite figure out how to justify a robot that would pretend to be a dinosaur [to Michael Bay],†Orci said.

You have to take the system they work in into consideration.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dinobots IRL = ghey

:2cents

Oh, ye of little imagination.

:tflaugh

For the record, I'm not a hater or anything, I just think that if you're going to stick with the "hiding in plain sight" conceit, then... ya know... robot dinosaurs....

not that they didn't do the same thing in G1 :tflaugh

They didn't use that excuse. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I read it like this:
“We couldn’t quite figure out how to justify a robot that would pretend to be a dinosaur [to Michael Bay],” Orci said.

You have to take the system they work in into consideration.

"You're my new advisor. Who's this?"

""ees muy advoisah."

"He comes too."

Yeah, you're being overly optimistic.

For the record, I'm not a hater or anything, I just think that if you're going to stick with the "hiding in plain sight" conceit, then... ya know... robot dinosaurs....

Ok, again. WRITING.

Maybe the dinobots aren't interested in hiding. Maybe they have a more violent motivation, maybe they're a little dumb, or just don't care if they picked good alt modes.

I'm not even specifically for having the dinobots. I mean if they'd said. "We decided the dinobots weren't the story we wanted to tell", or "Bay vetoed the dinobots", fine. But "we couldn't think of anything" implies they thought it was a good idea and were unable to implement it. Not that it CAN'T be done.

Another excuse from the team that brought us "What's crackin' L'il B-tches?"

:tflaugh Well, I don't mean to suggest they're Robert Towne or anything. But to suggest that "they land near a museum" didn't come up at the pre-production meetings is, I think, being a little harsh.

:shrug We'll agree to disagree.

Ok, again. WRITING.

Maybe the dinobots aren't interested in hiding. Maybe they have a more violent motivation, maybe they're a little dumb, or just don't care if they picked good alt modes.

I'm not even specifically for having the dinobots. I mean if they'd said. "We decided the dinobots weren't the story we wanted to tell", or "Bay vetoed the dinobots", fine. But "we couldn't think of anything" implies they thought it was a good idea and were unable to implement it. Not that it CAN'T be done.

Another excuse from the team that brought us "What's crackin' L'il B-tches?"

Well I wouldn't want to latch onto a single comment and parse it all day long... I think their point is that they couldn't see a way to make it not stupid. Which is a point of view that I'm sympathetic to. Of course you could find a way to write them in -- I mean hell, look at all the superhero movies that managed to explain the heroes' / villains' origins -- but I personally believe that giant robot dinosaurs would be shark jumpage. (Leaving aside questions of whether or not there was shark jumpage in TF1.)

*Realizes this is disinformation and that the Dinobots are in the movie as Allspark fragment animated earthborn characters....

I still find merit in Hobbes' idea of a Grimlock with a vehicle mode and a robot mode that looks all animalistic... it would tie him visually to the Decepticons since they've got more of the animal look to them, so you could really play that whole "is he really an Autobot / good guy" thing easily.

But I'm sure that the fans would sh*t themselves if that happened.

I still find merit in Hobbes' idea of a Grimlock with a vehicle mode and a robot mode that looks all animalistic... it would tie him visually to the Decepticons since they've got more of the animal look to them, so you could really play that whole "is he really an Autobot / good guy" thing easily.

I iz gude righter.

Fans ruin everything.

I iz gude righter.

Fans ruin everything.

+1 truth

Archived