I have a crazy theory about the origins of the cybertronians.

Aquarion

The Autobots act as the Cybertronian military,

But my problem is if the Autobots are meant to be the military, why don't they use military weaponry? Why is it that even Ultra Magnus uses a superhero-style weapon(based on Mjolner) instead of a decent laser cannon? In Autoboot Camp, it felt more like the cadets were training to be superheros instead of soldiers. It makes sense if cybertronians were originally created to serve the same role as the Green Lantern Corps. but I am open to a better explaination.

You're looking at it from an Earthican point of view. Just because their weapons don't resemble OUR military weapons (and this is not always the case, see Blitzwing and Megatron) doesn't mean that they are not military weapons in nature.

There's a great book by Joe Haldeman, The Forever War. In it, mankind is at war with an alien race called the Taurans. In their first actual land battle, the Taurans use the only weapon they seem to have at their disposal...a building that opens up like a flower and belches bubbles in different directions. At first they seem innocuous until one bubble bumps into a human soldier's head and *pops*, killing the soldier. However, the bubbles are limited in that they hover a bout a meter off the ground, so all the humans have to do is stay low and use their lasers to cut the Taurans to pieces. The Taurans eventually wise up to the ways of ground combat and develop better weapons, including nuclear bombs. To counter this, the humans develop at generator that limits all molecular and atomic motion within a certain radius of the generator to something like 6 meters per second, which essentially renders all energy based weapons useless. An unshielded organism within the field would die instantaneously, so a special suit must be worn. In order to fight within the field, the humans resort to fighting with swords, bows and arrows, spears, shields etc. At first, the Taurans walk into the field and enter melee combat and get slaughtered. The Taurans develop a kind of throwing dart that they launch at the dome-shaped field). Once the dart enters the field, they slow to the limit allowed by the field, but are still lethal.

The point is, just because the weapons are not the kind that you point and pull a trigger, that does not automatically disqualify them as military weapons.

And, of course, it still is a tv show aimed at 7-10 year olds.

well hornet this is one of your more sane ideas but as we all know in established back ground material the transformers race were made by the quints as slaves or Primus now maybe those made my Primus had a justice league vibe going on but we don't know about that bar the very few we have seen being the Fallen and Victor Prime.

also in TFA two autobots did have guns Cliff Jumper he only had it for a bit but it was clearly a reference to the big gun he had in G1 once or twice and Omega Supreme who was a walking wall of missile bays and lasers . and as for the other special weapons in Autobot bootcamp they had them as tools before they joined the autobots and Ultra magnus is the commander of the whole army so its only logical he has some Super awesome thing.

Well I guess my main problem with all this is the "Bringing a knife to a gun fight" syndrome. Although if there were more Autobots like Omega Supreme, that would explain how they weren't completely overwhelm by the Decepticons in the Great War.

Aside from the "who says their weapons AREN'T military?" angle, I rather doubt that the average space bridge technician team carries around heavy weaponry on the off chance that, two million years after their defeat, the Decepticons attack them out of the blue and they're all transported to a distant planet teeming with organic life that the Autobots are honor-bound to protect.

Aside from the "who says their weapons AREN'T military?" angle, I rather doubt that the average space bridge technician team carries around heavy weaponry on the off chance that, two million years after their defeat, the Decepticons attack them out of the blue and they're all transported to a distant planet teeming with organic life that the Autobots are honor-bound to protect.

He's talking more about Ultra Magnus, Jazz, Sentinel Prime and the Autobot Elite Guard, not Optimus Prime's repair team. But yes, 2 million years is a long time to wait.

Now I'm seriously starting to wonder if I'm insane because a lot of the things that make perfect sense to me, come off as idiotic ramblings to other people.

It's best that we continue this conversation in PM now...

Archived