Spotlight: Wheelie

Wildcard

This is one of the best Spotlight comics in my opinion. Taking a character that the majority of the fandom hates and giving him his "15 mins of fame" in a comic book is no easy task.

So I applaud Klaus Scherwinski and Simon Furman for collaborating as writers and coming up with an interesting and fresh take on a character that many just hate.

Granted: Wheelie is a crappy character. But that's only cause the writers of the TV series screwed him up. He was enjoyable in the movie. But that was as far as it went.

These two writers gave us a really great story that tells us more about this G1 character. I like the fact that Wheelie starts out being very optimistic and doing everything to help the Autobot cause and perhaps one day will be given the chance to prove him self. Then during the story, we see his persona change from a young optimistic character to one that is more "mature" and "seasoned" due to the experience he faced on the unforgiving planet with really no hope of rescue. Sort of reminds me of "Castaway" with Tom Hanks.

I feel for Wheelie that he gets his arm ripped off when he tries to communicate with the monster. And since then, hasn't transformed due to the pain that will cause.

Seeing Reflector characters was cool cause..they never showed up in any other comic(to my knowledge anyway). Seeing Viewfinder with a shared of glass in his chest was cool..in a way that I really can't explain.

I also like the fact that they explain how Wheelie talks in rhyme. So that's cool. It's interesting to note that the last page has a panel of a painting showing a Quintesson.

So I took that to mean that Wheelie fell on Quintessa..OR a planet that worships the Quintessons as gods from another planet. In any case..good twist at the end.

My personal fav drawing is page 2 and 3: just seeing Wheelie walking all by himself with a depressed and hopeless expression.

This comic I have to give it a 10 out of 10 in my opinion. I really hope we get to see this character again in the not too distance future.

Anyone else have an opinion on Spotlight: Wheelie?

yea, i agree. i didn't think i'd like the comic that much, but it was very refreshing and made wheelie a likable character again (sorry, i liked him in the movie too :P couldn't stand the series character though). once again, simon furman is a god of transformers lore. he takes one of the most annoying character traits and makes it understandable and not so.... annoying. although i gotta say, it's much more tolerable reading it than hearing it....

Ditto!!

I guess it takes TWO writers to come up with a Wheelie that the fandom likes. :tfpuke

Amazingly one of the better Spotlights.

Who would have thought you could make Wheelie "tough & Gritty".

ive always liked wheelie, i read it last night , i really hope he can get back to the rest of the autobots

Archived