New universe opinions

Mom

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My BM Jetstrom flaked chrome within a month of opening him. That on top of him being a really crappy toy representation made me very anti-chrome.

I like chrome because to me, that's just part of Transformers. Plus, the BW Transmetals really did look awesome (thinking of Rampage and Depthcharge in particular). Oh and the RiD guys, who were also awesome to me.

I like the poses of Uni Galvy in the Action pose thread. That make me want to buy em.

My BM Jetstrom flaked chrome within a month of opening him. That on top of him being a really crappy toy representation made me very anti-chrome.

The quality in the chrome's durability really jumped between Beast Machines and RiD. But overall, chrome's fine on most figures as long as it's not on parts that one needs to touch or move too often. But the only Henkei figure that's really impressed me is the "old 'Bot" who likes to bust Deceptichops! :tflaugh

Chrome is like anything else. When applied correctly (in both technique and style) it can look great and really add to a figure. When applied incorrectly (in technique and/or style) it looks dreadful.

With TT's Henkei! line the majority of it seems randomly applied, even if there is some method to the madness as trench implied. If TT can't apply chrome to a figure without it looking randomly added then they should just go chrome-less.

I get sick of the random chrome complaints after a while. Okay, fine. But is any of it really that big an issue? Just about all of the Henkei figures are improvements over the Classics versions IMO (though I'd grant you Bumblebee and Grimlock), so... who cares? With how much the "random chrome" thing gets thrown around, you'd think it was a substitute for "man I wish I could afford these guys but I can't so I'm going to find a way to tell myself that they're not better".

I get sick of the random chrome complaints after a while. Okay, fine. But is any of it really that big an issue? Just about all of the Henkei figures are improvements over the Classics versions IMO (though I'd grant you Bumblebee and Grimlock), so... who cares? With how much the "random chrome" thing gets thrown around, you'd think it was a substitute for "man I wish I could afford these guys but I can't so I'm going to find a way to tell myself that they're not better".

You'd think so, but you would be wrong (speaking only for myself). Though I will grant you the random chrome isn't the only factor, just the most glaring. Many times boring, slavish G1 decos do Henkei! in more then the chrome does.

I had a list where I gave my opinions for each TT release I felt was worse then (or at best on par with) the Hasbro versions, but that's really unnecessary now that I think about it.

So I'll just leave you with this. I honestly find Hasbro's Classics/Universe versions to be, for the most part, better then TT's Henkei! versions.

There have been only three figures that I would say TT beat out Hasbro with. Oprtimus Prime, Ironhide, and Megatron. In all other cases I've found TT's offerings to be worse then, or on par with, Hasbro's versions.

I actually bought Henkei! Starscream and found him so underwhelming when compared to the Classics version that I sent him off to be commissioned as Thundercracker.

Archived