New universe opinions

Mom

Quick question. I know about the "Reverse hood-chest" arrangement for Sunstreaker, but I'm curious abut the legs position. I'm not partially hot on the desing of the car's profile/tire being the front, but I was wondering if there was a way to pose him with the top of the Car's rear out front...

In other words; rotate the lower legs' 90 degrees so the designated sides of the legs become the front?

Yes, that is possible.

sunstripe.jpg

Quick question. I know about the "Reverse hood-chest" arrangement for Sunstreaker, but I'm curious abut the legs position. I'm not partially hot on the desing of the car's profile/tire being the front, but I was wondering if there was a way to pose him with the top of the Car's rear out front...

In other words; rotate the lower legs' 90 degrees so the designated sides of the legs become the front?

You mean something like this? picture_245.jpg

You can, but the lower legs would have to be swapped around to get the waist/upper legs to appear correctly, and it's not exactly the most stablest thing around.

I would be happy with either of these variations for SideSwipe.

And I think the stability issue would be solved if it was actually designed that way and not "mis-transformed".

EDIT - oh yeah the second pic doesnt really adress the question since it was regarding the Sideswipe version of the mold.

I've re-read Hadlen's post a few times, to make sure I had read it right. He makes no mention of which mode (or mold) the figure would be. Also, consider the question was:

I do believe I addressed the question.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prowl: Well, now that I have him in hand, I'm pretty pleased with him. I like the sparse deco and the transformation is an interesting take on the original G1 Prowl transform (in that it's not a direct rip of the original transform, but achieves pretty much the same look of the G1 design). Also, I like the sparse deco. The only two things that I wish had been done differently are:

The shoulder launchers - I wish they had been either molded in gray plastic or painted. Not a big deal though, as I fold them down for the G1 toon look.

The feet - I wish the flip-out heels were a bit longer. As they are right now, it's hard to keep him properly balanced. Unless he's posed juuuuuust right, he tends to fall over.

And also, his head does sit up a bit. Kinda funny looking, but nothing horrible. I find that if you push the car roof up a little bit it offsets it.

TFClassicsProwl.jpg

Sunstreaker: :awsum and :win

A great figure. The best of the three new deluxes, hands down. I can't wait for the Sideswipe retool.

TFClassicsSunstreaker.jpg

The "Sideswipe" transformation (yeah, the hands aren't swapped I know)

TFClassicsSunstreaker-Sideswipetran.jpg

Octane: My least favorite of the three, and probably my least favorite Classics TF overall. Man, when I first opened him, I completely hated him and almost took him back to TRU. My opinion of him has softened somewhat, but my main gripes are:

1. Three Half Assed Modes! The best one is the Jet. The tanker truck is worthless if you have carpeted floors. I expect to see a lot of these with broken propellers in the future (ya know, if kids actually play with it.)

2. WTF his head doesn't come up all the way :wtf Seriously. I know there are fixes for this, and I tried one of them. I'm not willing to slice up my fingers to get his chin to clear his chest (I think I may have raised his head a little, but only as much as safety would allow). Unlike the easy fix of Animated Bumblebee's stingers (just keep whittling away at excess plastic), there isn't enough clearance to get an exacto knife in there without either cutting your fingers, breaking the entire assembly, or accidentally mangling the head.

3. The hands. Okay, okay. I understand that they need to form another part of one of the alt. modes. Cool, you molded in hand details, but really...molded details don't do any good if they don't stand out. A little silver paint goes a long way, Hasbro.

4. That shield/claw thingy. Really, what's the deal with all these obtrusive claw-spinny-things? First on the Classics 2 pack Megatron, and now one for Octane? At least you had the good sense to keep it as a removable item.

Now, with all that said, I've done as much as I can to "turn that frown upside down". I did what I could w/the head, and found an alternate transform for the arms so they aren't so high up.

Alt. transform:

TFClassicsOctane001.jpg

TFClassicsOctane002.jpg

The original way.

TFClassicsOctane.jpg

Yeah, he's not my favorite, but I do like him more with the alternate arm transformation. Honestly, if it weren't for that I would have probably gone ahead and returned him. I still can't understand how people think this guy is better than Classics Astrotrain. Personally, I like Astrotrain better - decent shuttle mode, okay train mode and a solid bot mode. Octane does have a better colorscheme though :D

I'm a big time Prowl honk, so I'm hard pressed to find anything really wrong with this figure, other than that smokey brown paint app. on the rear windows, and that the missiles probably should be silver.

Octane err uh, Tankor is a mess. Big time gaps in both vehicle modes. The whole propellers under the truck thing really irrates me! I think is arms are a bit stubby, a-la G1 Astrotrain, and that mellee weapon is best suited as a shield!

Sunstreaker I was quite suprised with. Not a big fan, but other than the difficult arm transformation and lousy hood paint app. I really like this one. Nice G1 nod on the license plate as well! WE R 84! Classic!

Octane: My least favorite of the three, and probably my least favorite Classics TF overall. Man, when I first opened him, I completely hated him and almost took him back to TRU. My opinion of him has softened somewhat, but my main gripes are:

1. Three Half Assed Modes! The best one is the Jet. The tanker truck is worthless if you have carpeted floors. I expect to see a lot of these with broken propellers in the future (ya know, if kids actually play with it.)

2. WTF his head doesn't come up all the way :wtf Seriously. I know there are fixes for this, and I tried one of them. I'm not willing to slice up my fingers to get his chin to clear his chest (I think I may have raised his head a little, but only as much as safety would allow). Unlike the easy fix of Animated Bumblebee's stingers (just keep whittling away at excess plastic), there isn't enough clearance to get an exacto knife in there without either cutting your fingers, breaking the entire assembly, or accidentally mangling the head.

3. The hands. Okay, okay. I understand that they need to form another part of one of the alt. modes. Cool, you molded in hand details, but really...molded details don't do any good if they don't stand out. A little silver paint goes a long way, Hasbro.

4. That shield/claw thingy. Really, what's the deal with all these obtrusive claw-spinny-things? First on the Classics 2 pack Megatron, and now one for Octane? At least you had the good sense to keep it as a removable item.

Now, with all that said, I've done as much as I can to "turn that frown upside down". I did what I could w/the head, and found an alternate transform for the arms so they aren't so high up.

Alt. transform:

TFClassicsOctane001.jpg

TFClassicsOctane002.jpg

The original way.

TFClassicsOctane.jpg

Yeah, he's not my favorite, but I do like him more with the alternate arm transformation. Honestly, if it weren't for that I would have probably gone ahead and returned him. I still can't understand how people think this guy is better than Classics Astrotrain. Personally, I like Astrotrain better - decent shuttle mode, okay train mode and a solid bot mode. Octane does have a better colorscheme though :D

That arm transformation is way better. I didn't think something like that would have worked originally because of that weird angle the shoulders/cockpit halves sit in at.

Alt. transform:

TFClassicsOctane001.jpg

TFClassicsOctane002.jpg

The original way.

TFClassicsOctane.jpg

Wow, kickass alternate transformation on OcTankor. Very cool. He's MUCH better now. Great find.

I wouldn't say TankTane is better then Astrotrain. As far as triple changers go, Classics Astrotrain's hard to beat. I do think Tankor/Octane complements him nicely though.

Can anyone take pictures of OcTainkor without the shield in his truck and plane modes?

Of those two modes look at least decent without it, I'll get this guy. Otherwise, no farging way. I don't want to keep track of a part that's necessary in all modes but one. Weapons are fine for part forming, but not if you can't afford to lose them to make the other modes work.

I think the plane mode would be fine without the shield, and the truck mode MIGHT work. I could pretend he's just a tractor/trailer when I don't use the shield.

P.S: I had a really cool dream last night about all of the transformers I want. I imagined that I had a special cartridge for my game boy, similar to a super card, that I could put transformers toy data files in and when I turned the game boy on it would transform into that transformer until the power ran out and it turned back into a game boy. I played with Classics Prowl and Classics Sunstreaker as well as G1 prime. It was awesome!

Can anyone take pictures of OcTainkor without the shield in his truck and plane modes?

Of those two modes look at least decent without it, I'll get this guy. Otherwise, no farging way. I don't want to keep track of a part that's necessary in all modes but one. Weapons are fine for part forming, but not if you can't afford to lose them to make the other modes work.

I think the plane mode would be fine without the shield, and the truck mode MIGHT work. I could pretend he's just a tractor/trailer when I don't use the shield.

P.S: I had a really cool dream last night about all of the transformers I want. I imagined that I had a special cartridge for my game boy, similar to a super card, that I could put transformers toy data files in and when I turned the game boy on it would transform into that transformer until the power ran out and it turned back into a game boy. I played with Classics Prowl and Classics Sunstreaker as well as G1 prime. It was awesome!

Pics coming up, Yuyuyami. I'm snapping 'em now, and I'll edit them in. Though, I'll be honest now, you're not gonna want Tankor. His tanker mode looks awful without the shield.

Edit:

picture_246.jpgpicture_248.jpg

Btw, don't you hate dreams like that after y'wake up?

Aoi. Thanks for answering the question! Now that I've seen Streaker on a few more angles, his natural mode does look a bit better than I thought. Can't wait to find him and wait for when Sideswipe comes out too.

Welcome!

Anyhow, as these latest pics show, I really need to get my second desk up. That TRU thing in the first picture looks odd with it's Hannah Montana bit. :redface

picture_246.jpgpicture_248.jpg

The plane mode is fine without the shield, and the truck mode is as I expected. And it gives me an idea for a tractor/trailer mod. I'm gonna pick this guy up.

I think I'll also lop off his propellers. They look like they'll snap off easily enough anyway and they screw with his truck mode rolling (though that one shoulder-wheel already does a good job of stopping it from what I see).

And if I just ditch the shield/tank/scissor blade thing I'll be able to lop off his double dork crotch, too.

I have plans for this figure, oh yes. I have plans.

Archived