Any way to remove a bad smell from a TF?

thievesinthetemple

Be VERY glad it was just a smell transfer with low time exposure. I think just airing it out will take care of things. Febreeze will make it quicker by simply adding a more pleasant smell to overpower the unpleasant smell. But it too will fade.

The bigger problem would be long time exposure, as it can be very difficult to near impossible to get rid of the smell. Plastic does absorb smells that can almost impossible to remove - even by chemical means without destroying the product. Anyone that has had a baby and a diaper pail can attest to that. Plastic diaper pales, even lined with a trash bag, still absorb the smell after awhile that you can never get rid of. You counter it for awhile spraying Febreeze in each time you change out the lining, but the plastic does absorb the smell after awhile. It's one reason you want to be careful buying a non-MISB collectible from anything but a somke-free home.

It sounds like you might have dodged a bullet. Woulda been quite disappointing to get a great deal on something that wasn't so fixable. Then again, maybe that's why it would have been the deal it was. LOL Good luck!

PS: Be very careful with GooBGone - it can remove and destroy stickers also.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here's the latest...

AIRING OUT has been the key remedy here. As I think I may have posted somewhere above, I have all the figures out on display on all the flat surface area I could find between my living room and spare bedroom, and the difference a little time to breathe has made has been astounding. I'm knocking on wood when I say this... but I think I've fixed the problem, and the figures are "untainted" again, or at least appear that way.

Now the only problem remaining is the thick rubber on Armada Scavenger's treads and Unicron's shoulders. Air and Goo Gone have both had no effect on them. I'm going to go back through the threads here and re-review everyone's suggestions on how to fix this, but if anyone knows of a very specific way to remove a smell from rubber please let me know. Thanks guys!

I find putting all the offending toys in a box with a few brand new magic trees (car air fresheners) and sealing it for a few days does the trick.

So I bought a huge lot of figs off a guy on eBay, and when they arrived, as soon as I opened up the boxes, I was hit with this bad, strong smell (some of them literally smell like s**t).

Sounds like you got some Inserticons.... :tfpwn :tflaugh

Archived