Fixes for TF Animated figures

Jin Saotome

Reprolabels can only be purchased at the Reprolabels website, or similar Reprolabels-like sites. (There's one for G.I. Joes labels that sells Autobot and Decepticon emblem sheets, I unfortunately can't remember the URL off-hand.)

Cobrastickers.com

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reprolabels can only be purchased at the Reprolabels website, or similar Reprolabels-like sites. (There's one for G.I. Joes labels that sells Autobot and Decepticon emblem sheets, I unfortunately can't remember the URL off-hand.)

Cobrastickers.com

Yup! That's it. Thanks, ST53.

Cobrastickers.com

Yup! That's it. Thanks, ST53.

That helps a little.....

I did the grimlock repair mentioned in the OP, but I wanted to add a few notes:

1) Mine had a ton of glue on the inside of the legs. I mean.. it was coating the seams, the inside, where the screws went... it made opening the two halves of his thighs/upper arms more akin to breakage than just sliding them apart. I suspect this is due to the bad design/bulging.

2) Mine had very crudely cut burrs. I had to shave those down before I even thought of getting the arms all the way in.

3) The OP's pic shows the tabs carved from pretty much near one end all the way to the other. I only cut mine from the halfway mark, but with a much sharper angle. It seems to work fine (I didn't hollow out the inside of the legs), and it is still helluva tight. If I could get them in any further, it really is negligable at this point.

Also, I used my dremel for the first time on lockdown's arms.... And learned the pains of melting plastic instead of carving it out. :tflaugh

Alright, a new problem has popped up, this time regarding ratchet.

For the longest time, his chest wouldn't fold down, until I finally managed to force it. But now that I've done that, it still doesn't seem to want to work properly. So I examined it a bit, and it looks like the sides where the wheels are attached are being pushed out by the rotating joint above the hip, where the legs hinge on. The further the chest is pushed in, the more they bend to the sides, which I bet is not exactly intended.

It looks like the screws aren't sitting flush on the pelvis, causing the support brackets to bulge out and block movement. It's a fairly severe opening, like 1/2 a millimeter. but the screw is behind the wheel.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? I really don't want to take him back, but the screws are a batch to get to.

For the longest time, his chest wouldn't fold down, until I finally managed to force it. But now that I've done that, it still doesn't seem to want to work properly. So I examined it a bit, and it looks like the sides where the wheels are attached are being pushed out by the rotating joint above the hip, where the legs hinge on. The further the chest is pushed in, the more they bend to the sides, which I bet is not exactly intended.

It looks like the screws aren't sitting flush on the pelvis, causing the support brackets to bulge out and block movement. It's a fairly severe opening, like 1/2 a millimeter. but the screw is behind the wheel.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? I really don't want to take him back, but the screws are a batch to get to.

Well, if you do take it back, think of it as helping unclog the shelves.

~Matt Booker

Well, if you do take it back, think of it as helping unclog the shelves.

~Matt Booker

Yeah.

On closer inspection, the joint is a rivet, not a screw, so I can't fix it. This, combined with a horrible face paint job, is making me debate whether to just take him back and say he's broken, or get a second one and just display this guy in alt mode.

• 7 months later...

This thread may be old, but there are some newer fixes needed. Wreck Gar is an awesome figure, but mine came with an issue of the "backpack" snapping into place, when in robot mode. That tab that sticks out definitely needs a bit of a trim if it's going to pop into place. Also, I can't wait to try the Voyager Megatron cannon mod. That thing looks terrible, if you leave it the way it is out of the box.

Archived