"big changes for ebay this may" WTF?

sgt__york

Ebay notice reads...

"Big Changes to Feedback start this may

To help increase shopper confidence:

- Sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral feedback about buyers

- buyers will only receive positive feedback

- important new seller protection will be added

WTF??? Add the protection.. but what good does it do to create FALSE CONFIDENCE by denying any negative feedback??? That pretty much Feedback is now USELESS.

In their description they state...

When buyers received negative Feedback, they reduced their activity in the marketplace, which in -turn harmed sellers

Uh.. DUH!! Isn't that what' it's for??? Someone screws someone over, you WANT to reduce that behavior.

In MY opinion, this is going to destroy any methodology at all in finding a reputable seller. Your going to see a lot more 'new' accounts, and it's going to be an even bigger crapshoot. *sigh*

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I can understand where you're coming from, a problem with the rating system is that it's been often highly abused by people. The rating system has kinda become a joke. You get someone who screws you over, but you're afraid of leaving them a negative or even neutral feedback because they often leave you negative feedback as revenge. Then someone approaches eBay for arbitration, yada yada yada yada yada... and eBay staff probably feel overwhelmed by all these wankers.

While I can definitely see the legitimate use of leave positive, neutral and negative feedback, it seems that there may be been too many people abusing the system so it appears that eBay have chosen to simply remove the negative feedback system to avoid all that controversy and complaints.

this doesnt really solve anything, if you have been on ebay for 4 years and have no feedback, I am just as pensive about selling to you as if you had -10. I assume we will still have the non-paying bidders strike though

Wait. Cant the seller just pick positive feed back but then leave a truthful statement about how much the buyer sucked.

The rating system is broken...face it. It'd be nice to see ebay present an actual solution, first.

I agree with what's being said here, but there have been a few times where, as a buyer, I opted to not leave (negative) feedback, because I didn't want some bull$hit negative left for me in retaliation from a seller that in general was being an a$$wipe.

I purchased another (supposedly) MIB G1 Megatron a while back, paid via paypal, was then issued a non-paying bidder alert because the seller didn't bother to check his/her e-mail, then after clearing that up the item finally shipped, and when I received it, the styrofoam insert was broken. Contacted the seller, they said it was sold as-is, even though they're description was WRONG, and told me basically to just deal with it. The seller had already been such an a$$hat, that I knew if I did leave the negative feedback that they deserved, they would have done so as well in pure retaliation. Maybe I'm just too proud of my 100% positive feedback, but either way it sucked, and I decided that feedback would not be left.

In general, this won't solve anything, but the feedback system does need to be fixed somehow. I have always preferred the sellers that left me my positive feedback once payment was received, instead of waiting until after I got the item so we could "exchange" feedback. Really, my opinion of how you held up your end of the bargain has nothing to do with how well I held up my end of the bargain.

I've tried that on a few occasions, waiting for the seller to leave feedback before I leave feedback. I usually end up waiting 3-4 weeks before finally going ahead and leaving it for the seller. Most of the time, as soon as I leave feedback, the seller follows suit.

I think the EASIEST way to fix it would be to set it up so that the seller MUST leave feedback first. What is the seller really rating the buyer on other than whether or not payment was sent in a timely manner? Once the seller has left feedback, the buyer can leave honest feedback without worrying that the seller will reciprocate. If, after an allowable length of time, the buyer has not left feedback for the seller, the seller could have the option of leaving feedback.

I bought a Yamato VF-19 from Treasure Island Sports, Inc. about 5 years ago. They sent the wrong item TWICE (two different VF-1s) before finally sending the correct item. Each time I had to pay to ship the wrong thing back to them and they refused to refund me the cost of shipping it back. After two and a half months of wrangling I finally got the correct item and they STILL had not left feedback for me (paid via PayPal the day after I won the auction.) I wanted to leave them negative feedback but only left neutral because I was worried that they would reciprocate. The day after I left their feedback, they left mine.

I think the EASIEST way to fix it would be to set it up so that the seller MUST leave feedback first. What is the seller really rating the buyer on other than whether or not payment was sent in a timely manner? Once the seller has left feedback, the buyer can leave honest feedback without worrying that the seller will reciprocate. If, after an allowable length of time, the buyer has not left feedback for the seller, the seller could have the option of leaving feedback.

This

But there should still be a better solution.

Archived