Custom Spike Witwicky (G1, see finished pics) & Sparkplug coming soon!

Mandingo Rex

Here you are, Speed Racer figures. Sorry for the bad pics and background, I was in a hurry. And I couldn't resist to play a little with the edit feature of Photobucket. :07redface

DSC02173.jpg

DSC02175.jpg

DSC02178.jpg

DSC02179.jpg

DSC02190.jpg

DSC02182.jpg

DSC02183.jpg

DSC02184.jpg

DSC02185.jpg

DSC02186.jpg

(It doesn't let me post more pics, continue in the next post)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LMAO, the misadventures of Emile Hirsch!

From your pics I get the impression that he's a little out of scale with the Alts. Can you measure him and tell us how tall he is? If it's not too far off I may still get one and try to shorten the limbs and torso. I doubt that I'll be able to make him fit inside the cars, but at least he'd look pretty cool next to them. And Pops Racer would make a good starting point for Sparkplug too.

LMAO, the misadventures of Emile Hirsch!

From your pics I get the impression that he's a little out of scale with the Alts. Can you measure him and tell us how tall he is? If it's not too far off I may still get one and try to shorten the limbs and torso. I doubt that I'll be able to make him fit inside the cars, but at least he'd look pretty cool next to them. And Pops Racer would make a good starting point for Sparkplug too.

I actually spotted the Speed Racer figure today at the San Jose SuperCon, and unfortunately it came in the Speed Racer car. Which I don't want.

Luckily, after leaving there, I hit up a Toys R Us nearby, and voila, Speed Racer 2-packs. I could care less for the black Cyclops-looking guy he comes with, but I grabbed the very one above. The one in the jumpsuit is kinda cool, but the other one is almost a perfect base for young Spike.

Agreed, I thought the same thing about Pops. He's a tad too John Goodman for me (they're getting really good at getting semi-likenesses these days out of toy scale) but I think we could still work on the head, or perhaps do a headswap with the business-suited guy who comes inthe series. I only got the Spike so far, but I may go back and get the other 2. There's also a kid (don't know his name) who could be a decent Daniel. You know, the monkey-one. (Is that Speed as a kid?).

Anyways, great, base, hope to start soon. Any suggestions on paints? I've only painted TF customs, never figures. I'm guessing he's vinylish? Last time I painted a man-figure, he was left all tacky. I was 13, so I didn't know any better.

I went shopping today too, and came back with the short sleeved Speed in the two pack with Racer X (as you said Mandingo, the Cyclops guy) and some laughably impractical yellow wheel vehicle thing. I'll save that for some spare parts for some later project.

I'd like to say that our purchases are a coincidence, but we're all clearly on the same wavelength here!

I was tempted to get the figure of Speed wearing the jacket too (the same one you've got Paul), but decided to see how this project does before committing too much cash to it. It'd be kinda cool to have two Spikes, one G1 and one more modern. Or perhaps make the jacket wearing one into Chip Chase? Didn't see the Pops Racer figure though, I'd have liked to have taken a closer look at that one.

Anyway, I've started straight away on modding Speed. He's too tall to be 1:24 scale, but he also looks extremely lanky. So I've shortened his legs and his torso. Not sure if I should attempt to shorten the forearms as well, I won't need to paint them so it's be harder to cover up any imperfections. The legs were pretty easy, the shins are rubbery enough to slice through with a scalpel, the thighs I sawed. The torso is made of ABS, so I just sawed through it at the waist and shortened there too. The up shot of all this Frankensteinery is that instead of just gluing the torso back together, I mounted a couple of small-but-powerful magnets inside. So now not only does Spike get some added articulation in the form of a rotating waist joint, but hopefully the upper half may be able to fit into one of the cars now and sit at about the right height! I've also sculpted the front of his shirt and his rolled up sleeves.

Are you guys planning on leaving the shoes the way they are, or resculpting them to be more like his G1 boots? I'm still of two minds on the subject.

And Mandingo, regarding the paint, I don't really know what to use either. The torso is ABS plastic, so normal acrylics should be fine there. The upper arms and thighs also appear to be hard plastic, but the forearms (if you're going to paint them) and the shins are the only parts in rubber/vinyl. Being that soft, they'd probably dye well, but I've never dyed anything before and don't feel too confident about it.

So unless anyone's got any other suggestions, I'm probably just going to go ahead and use acrylics there too.

post-7384-1211096224_thumb.jpg

Update: I've put all the parts back together and (LOL) it's quite clear that I need to shorten the forearms!

Aha! Found 'em! Here's a couple of pics to illustrate the scale of the M.A.S.K. figure. The scale looks pretty much spot on to me, what do you guys think?

post-7384-1210941245_thumb.jpg

post-7384-1210941261_thumb.jpg

However, on closer inspection, I don't think that there's really enough room inside the Alts. Ultimately they just weren't built to take passengers. :tfmad

mask figures and the gi joe sigma six 2.5 inch figures are in line with the alternators. they dont fit in them though. The mini halo figures also work. I found the best ones that fit inside the alternators are the wwe micro aggression figures. There a little small around 2 inches but look pretty kewl with them. They can also be taken apart and mized and matched to make your own type of figure. does anyone know where i can find a sigma six 2.5 inch tunnal rat that comes with the heatwave mission set? im also trying to find the matchbox mega rig figures. these are in scale with the transformers classics line. :beer

Good job, Octopus Prime. I will probably do the same thing in the near future. Now I want to finish some projects that I began ages ago.

The Pops Racer figure won't fit inside an Alt, he is too fat, but the boy may be easier to mod.

Can't wait to see this project done. I can see me buying all the lot of Speed Racer figures.

Well, I picked up a Pops and the kid with the monkey and the man in the suit.

OR I thought I did, when I was picking out the 2 at TRU, I saw the kid had a messed-up elbow, so was comparing 2 and retardedly, I grabbed BOTH the kid packs.

So I have to go BACK for Pops. He was fairly scarce, I hope he's still there. (I realized this after closing hours last night).

I actually think the head on the business-suited guy would work great for Sparkplug.

To me, I don't really care if the guys fit in the cars exactly. I just want something to show beside them that looks close enough to scale. Good call on the Speed Racer figures, they are almost the perfect scale. The MASK guys work really well in scale too, I am just afraid of doing too much sculpt-modification. Always hard for me to modify extensively and still look not custom.

Octopus Prime, damn you for beating me to my own custom! Yours is farther along than mine! I haven't even started, you're making me look bad. haha. No worries man, I'm just glad that it sparked conversation and got others involved with figuring out the solution. I commend you on the work too. :)

As far as shortening the limbs and the mods, you did a great job. I will be okay with keeping their legs and arms lankier, as the stouter figures don't look as much human proportion. Thats one of my problems with the mask figures, they're a tad stocky.

In regards to fitting Spike into the Alternators, it'd be nice, but I always thought it creepy for the transformers to let people inside them. I always loved the animation someone did of the Transformer transforming with the human inside, and it just mushed them into a red pulp. I always thought as a kid "what if they transformed with Spike inside?" bye little buddy!

They definitely need the boots, I think. I don't imagine it being too hard to sculpt the boots, although I kind of like how the simply-repainted Speed looks like an updated, slightly older Spike without getting to the post-TFTM adult Spike from FutureLand. Sort of split on that. Realistic, or iconic? I mean, who dresses like an oil-rig worker 24/7? At least in the comics Sparkplug was a mechanic, so he'd have a similar work gear each day. Watching the first season, humans all dressed like oil rig workers on Earth.

Archived