Transformers (07) makes Hollywoods Worst Blockbuster list

ROSEDOGGYDOG

I still think Independence Day was a great disaster/popcorn movie... but anything else by Emmerich is utter :fail IMO.

I liked "Stargate" and "Godzilla" :redface - plus "The Patriot" was supposed to be pretty good (although I never saw it).

The Patroit is a well done movie. Own it. It had Gibson from before his Passion of the Christ, Apocalypto (leave the directing to directors and stick to acting Gibson), and drunken/disorderly conduct days.

Independence Day is one of my all time favorite movies (I still need to get a new copy on DVD). Watch it every time I go and visit my grandparents...surprised I haven't worn it out yet.

Emmerich and Bay make decent films. And like every director, all movies are either a hit or miss.

The first two Spidey movies need to be removed from that list. The third...well, I'm the person that enjoys it and does see what it adds to the story, I just feel some things were done that weren't necessary...along with too many villains to maintain as good a quality as it might have had if they'd just had Venom and Sandman. They should have saved Goblin II for a later movie as a standalone villain. I Am Legend was okay, not great, but not as bad as he makes it out to be. The Home Alone movies were okay. They weren't bad. The Star Wars prequels were good. Worthy of being in the saga, just maybe a few adjustments here and there. I like "E.T.". A lot.

The only movies I agree deserve to be on that list Da Vinci Code, Titanic, and Passion of the Christ.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, after the big buzz of the movie coming and going.. I don't think I watched that thing maybe more than twice. IMHO it was slow.. and it took too long till it actually took off. Plus there was the handling of the decepticons, which was another issue all together.. but I really appericate the undertaking that was done to make this movie believeable.. like how they managed to get real cars to change into scale robots and so forth. I'm hoping TF 2 turns out to be a little more engaging.. because I often have the same opinions about trilogies.. the first movie is always the more subdued one.. well, except for the original Back to the Future, which could stand toe to toe pretty well with BTTF 2.

Like I really didn't like Narnia part one.. it just seemed really watered down and kinda ghey.. but Prince Caspian was awesome. Not like LOTR awesome, but enough to get the point across.. XD

Braveheart was a great movie.

Mostly because it had boobs in it.

I'm not a fan of anything Emmerich's ever done aside from ID4. And in that case, I think going with the traditional disaster-flick ensemble cast formula really helped. I mean, it was a great cast...

The first two Spidey movies need to be removed from that list. The third...well, I'm the person that enjoys it and does see what it adds to the story, I just feel some things were done that weren't necessary...along with too many villains to maintain as good a quality as it might have had if they'd just had Venom and Sandman. They should have saved Goblin II for a later movie as a standalone villain.

Going to disagree with you (somewhat) about Spidey 3. It should have been Venom and Goblin II, they could have ditched the Sand Man entirely. They had to wrap up Harry's arch, and Spider-Man 4's far from a sure thing, so he more or less had to be in 3.

The movie blows chunks though. Venom was awesome, and it was nice to see the Goblin story play out. Emo Spider-Man and Sand Man brought it down though. If they removed Sand Man and let Venom serve as the main villain then the movie would have had less emo Spider-Man and no annoying villain yarning for redemption who also managed to make part of the first film meaningless.

The problems I had with Bay's Transformers movie were 2-fold. First, there was entirely too much "try-to-make-the-whole-family-laugh" slapstick comedy. I found myself getting annoyed more than anything at the blatant way it was done. I also liked neither the design, nor the voice of Megatron. He look terrible in a tasteless sort of way, and they REALLY needed to use Frank Welker's voice, seeing as how they got Peter Cullen back for Prime. Agent Smith as Megatron just didn't cut it for me. I also found it odd that Megatron spoke in english, even though he had been frozen for thousands of years. All the others had to learn english "from the world wide web".

One good positive for the film in my case anyway, is I liked Ironhide in it. I remember he was my least favorite character from G1, so I guess I felt any change is for the better.

As for Bay's other movies, yeah many of them were pretty mindless. I do confess to liking "The Rock" however.

Going to disagree with you (somewhat) about Spidey 3. It should have been Venom and Goblin II, they could have ditched the Sand Man entirely. They had to wrap up Harry's arch, and Spider-Man 4's far from a sure thing, so he more or less had to be in 3.

The movie blows chunks though. Venom was awesome, and it was nice to see the Goblin story play out. Emo Spider-Man and Sand Man brought it down though. If they removed Sand Man and let Venom serve as the main villain then the movie would have had less emo Spider-Man and no annoying villain yarning for redemption who also managed to make part of the first film meaningless.

Uhhh, not to go Spider-Man fanboy on you or anything, but in order to have Venom, you've got to have emo-Spidey. That's part of the character's evolution; the symbiote bonds with Parker, turns Parker "emo," Parker rejects the symbiote, the symbiote bonds with a more willing host. Othwerwise, why do Venom at all?

But yeah, Spidey 3 would have been SO much better as Spider-Man 3 and Spider-Man 4. One movie is the Venom story, one is the Sandman story, and the "New Goblin" story could have served as a backdrop on either.

Mostly because it had boobs in it.

Uhhh, at what point in the film did this occur?

Just curious.

Archived