Transformers (07) makes Hollywoods Worst Blockbuster list

ROSEDOGGYDOG

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just bored of critics constantly feeling the need to trash for the sake of trashing something. They're entitled to their opinions, and a critics job is to in fact critique..but, it doesn't always just have to be negative droning...none of them actually bother to review..just gripe. Can't a movie just be fun? Can't it be "it is what it is?" I happen to like almost all the movies he posted about..And can take them at face value. It's just what the movies are. Not every one of them has to be an instant classic. Not every one of them needs to go down in history as the greatest movie ever..It's just a 90min-3hr escape..And just hope it's a fun ride.

And I'm still tired of Bay bashing..Before TF I still liked his movies...Don't tell me you didn't cry when Bruce Willis says "we won Gracie" at the end and he has to say good bye to her..His stuffs designed well, paced well, detailed great..Again, they're fun movies to just go and enjoy.

Michael Bay is the world's most overpaid cinematographer. The guy can't direct actors for shot, but he does now how to frame a picture.

Michael Bay: We start... by making a big CG building and then we have a meteor go CROSSHH! and it, and it's all like KRAAWWW!!! and motorcycles burst into flame while they jump over these helicopters, right?

General: No no! We need ideas how to stop the terrorists!

Michael Bay: An eighteen-wheeler spins out of control and it's all like BROSSHH And then this huuuge tanker full of dyna- BRAAAKKK! PKKKKK! BRAAAMMMM!

General: Those aren't ideas, those are special effects!

Michael Bay: I...I don't understand the difference.

General: I know you don't -- get him out of here!

But, ummm...yeahhh, great big WTF? to this list.

I still think Independence Day was a great disaster/popcorn movie... but anything else by Emmerich is utter :fail IMO.

I liked "Stargate" and "Godzilla" :redface - plus "The Patriot" was supposed to be pretty good (although I never saw it).

I still think Independence Day was a great disaster/popcorn movie... but anything else by Emmerich is utter :fail IMO.

I liked "Godzilla"

I hope you're not talking about that garbage that Matthew Broderick was in. Maybe you meant Robot Chickens take on it.

If those films gave him "Misery" I can name a couple DVDs he should watch.

I hate Star Wars. With a Passion. I think George Lucas is a hack who couldn't write a believable escape from a wet paper bag (Or direct it, and then he'd throw CGI at the attempt and it'd end up looking like a 500ft turkey or something) but his films are entertaining.

The less said about some of those other choices the better.

I liked "Godzilla"

I hope you're not talking about that garbage that Matthew Broderick was in. Maybe you meant Robot Chickens take on it.

I thought it was good for what it was...a "giant monster rampages through city" movie.

It got a bad rap because "ZOMG! IT ISN'T LIKE THE JAPANESE GOJIRA AT ALL!" A lot of people seem to forget that there were some pretty crappy movies in the Japanese series.

American Godzilla is 10x better than Son of Godzilla or Godzilla vs. Hedorah. JMO

(DISCLAIMER: I am partial to the Heisei and Millennium series films for the most part.)

People like this are better off ignored. Bottom line seems to be these so called critics only get paid to bash and not much more than that.

Since when has it been a requirement/standard for any movie to have to challenge/emotionally overwhelm an audience/critic. I don't go to movie to learn/have my ideas/beliefs challenged buy how some director feels his film illustrates. I don't need films to serve as a history lesson/awareness test of how the world is or should be. I'm not closed minded I just want a movie to be 90-135 minute piece of visceral escapism. This doesn't mean I'm in the habit of watching everything Hollywood pumps out I'm just very selective in the movies I see. For instance I love special effects/action movies, have. As big and loud as these movies are I can normally appreciate the amount of work, and production on such films. Unless a movie is executed as poorly as Battlefield Earth, Batman & Robin, or any one of Boll's cinematic atrocities just what the hell do critics have to complain about.

In a two hour film I expect at the very least coherent story telling/Directing/editing, and simple but fun/relatable characters. A kickass score, and lots of cool fx/explosions is all bonus for me. Transformers had no problem meeting my expectations. Apparently critics found everything about Transformers lacking in substance though it did have a three way plot, and lots of characters being bounced from one end of the spectrum to the other. Just what passes for substance these days anyway. The Bourne movies? Seriously how are they any better that any number of Bay's movies? I haven't read the books but the movies really don't have a lot of substance other than Bourne in all three movies suffering amnesia, and trying to find out who he once was and what happened to him before turning Superspy. With that bit of characterization/plot the rest is one cliff hanging moment/car chase throughout yet apparently there's enough intrigue to keep most critics happy. Personally I love the Bourne movies but as a viewer the only difference I see between them and any Bay movie is the much more frenetic editing which IMO made everything in Transformers look as if it was happening in slow motion.

Just thought I'd bring up Disney's Pixar movies. I have yet to be disappointed by any Pixar animation feature though I have to say, the plotting/theme throughout any number of them seems to be the same each time around. I find it almost funny no critic I've yet read has made mention of Disney recycling the same idea time and time again. Worst of all it doesn't seem to matter who or what the characters they create or the world they inhabit are it's always always the same. Going into any Pixar movie you're guaranteed two things from the get go. One it will aways be a fish out of water story and two it'll be a buddy/buddy movie. Now that I think of it The Incredibles are kind of exempt because though it was a family being thrust into unknown/dangerous situations they're really is no buddy/buddy situation that pays out. I'm very interested to see what or who Wall E the robot gets paired with later this Summer. All that said and as awesome/fun as any Pixar animation feature is to watch would any critic go as far to say these films lacked substance. Probably not but strip away everything that makes one of these films awesome and you consistently come back to the same original concepts/ideas first born and played out in the first Toy Story movie. Guess if ain't broke there's no reason to fix it but after seven movies I'm really wondering how many more films they can draw from the same pile of ideas.

A film's substance relates heavily on how a movie is viewed/perceived and by who is watching/perceiving it. Critics FWIW are too intelligent to be watching most movies anyway, amd there attitudes towards most mainstream cinema mirror just that.

The Transformers movie successfully achieved what it set out to do. Although it isn't a direct translation of G1 onto film (which is a good thing IMO) it does carry the core spirit and essence of G1 quite well. And the movie is actually better than G1 in several areas. Unlike Transformers The Movie the audience isn't required to have any pre-existing knowledge of Transformers to be able to watch and enjoy the story. Transformers The Movie completely sucks if you'd never watched the Transformers cartoon before, whereas the live action movie can be enjoyed by fans and non-fans alike.

The critic seems to hate Transformers just because Michael Bay directed it. :/ I'm not a huge fan of Michael Bay myself. The only other Bay movie I like is Bad Boys (aside from the great chemistry between Smith and Lawrence I think it's a good movie)... but I'm not going to hate every movie that Bay makes just because he makes it. (-_-) There are several directors who make movies some of which I love, others I hate... but I judge the movies on their individual merits.

I love Star Wars, but I'm rather "meh" about American Graffiti and THX-1138 bores me to tears. The core concept of the story is okay, but I didn't think it was a terribly entertaining movie. I really liked Raise The Red Lantern and Brokeback Mountain, but I thought Hulk was just crap. Anyway, you get the idea. :)

I hate Star Wars. With a Passion. I think George Lucas is a hack who couldn't write a believable escape from a wet paper bag (Or direct it, and then he'd throw CGI at the attempt and it'd end up looking like a 500ft turkey or something) but his films are entertaining.

Shut up! Stop knocking my religion you Pagan! Your lack of faith disturbs me!! *Force.choke* :P

Archived