Making cardboard inserts

JamieBrayley

Hi guys, please be patient with me as I am new to this forum :) Basically I have been a massive Transformer fan for the past 24 years. I have a great deal of the original transformer toys that I collect, but want to improve their presentation. When i was a kid I used to rip the bubble off the backing card as I couldnt wait to play with the damn thing. I am looking into remaking a cardboard backer and cleaning up,a nd resealing the toy to the card so they look pretty (and before anyone asks I am not looking to sell these on as MISB as any half wit can see if something is genuinely sealed or not). I just want to make them look as good as I possibly can. My questions are:

1) What type of cardboard should I use, and where I can get it from.

2) How to clean the bubble of all paper and residue

3) What glue should I use to re-attach bubble

Any help would be greatly appreciated :07dance

You can use the comic book cardbacks. CAn buy 100 for 10 dollars I think. Use warm water and soap to remove the paper of the plastic. Are you reattching the bubble to the same card or are you going to make your own?

Have any other question feel free to ask.

You actually have the original bubbles!? I kept a lot of my card-backs, but never my bubbles. I'm impressed! I'd say that if the soap and water doesn't get the paper off, use Goo Gone or rubbing alcohol. If your going to print out new card backs, you can buy pretty stiff card stock for most printers. If you have a good scanner, you could scan them in, fix them up in a photo editing program (the ones that come with most computers are usually fine for simple fixes) and then print them out onto your card stock.

You can use the comic book cardbacks. CAn buy 100 for 10 dollars I think. Use warm water and soap to remove the paper of the plastic. Are you reattching the bubble to the same card or are you going to make your own?

Have any other question feel free to ask.

Thanks for your response :) Well I would of liked to have used the original backing cards, but the problem is they are all ripped around where the bubble was attached. I really want them to be as presentable as possible so looking at making new backing cards. I have thought of using comic backers, but the old toys such as wheeljack, prowl etc have a grey backing card. So I would like to keep it as original as possible. What kind of glue would you think is best to use on the bubble? I want it to be formly sealed but dont want any residue pushing out from the bubble.

Thanks

You actually have the original bubbles!? I kept a lot of my card-backs, but never my bubbles. I'm impressed! I'd say that if the soap and water doesn't get the paper off, use Goo Gone or rubbing alcohol. If your going to print out new card backs, you can buy pretty stiff card stock for most printers. If you have a good scanner, you could scan them in, fix them up in a photo editing program (the ones that come with most computers are usually fine for simple fixes) and then print them out onto your card stock.

Hi Tom, the ones I am only looking to make backing cards for the boxes, so i guess I am actually refering to the cardboard inserts in the boxes. With regards to the cardboard backed toys (such as huffer, bumblebee etc) I will look at re-attaching the bubble to the original card itself. Still trying to work out what glue would be best

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll take a standard comic board, measure out the total length of the backer card (back & 2 sides), cut that out, and then flip over, measure out the two sides from the outside in, and then score a line for the creases from top to bottom. I'll then place the board, shiny front side down, and align the scored line along a desk edge & then fold down on both sides. I then put a thin layer of Eileen's tacky glue on the top edge of the bubble, center, & mount the bubble on the backer board. Clamp down the top edge using kitchen bag clamps or clothesline pins. Should be dry in 15 minutes.

You can then put in the figure into the inserts. The scrap board can be used for the extra piece of board found in the early G1 boxes, or to make the cardboard prop seen on some headmaster cards.

Archived