Teletraan-I / Ark / Nemesis Display Panels!

Mandingo Rex

So I've been diligently working on this and came up with a question this AM. What's the best way to connect the Center Console to the main unit? I don't really want to glue it for fear that I'll mess up the surrounding area. I thought about cutting it out with some surrounding white space and making tabs with matching slits in the mainframe but that might not work real well either. I don't really want it to just sit on the top unless that's the best way. Any advice would be great!

I'll definitely put up pics when I get it completed. I ended up shrinking the original to 45% which from the looks of things is gonna fit perfect with Classics and Universe figures.

-G

I don't have mine anymore (I traded it to Valkfan for some head sculpts) but if I remember correctly, I simply glued it with hot glue. If you use a laser-printed version though, be careful, as hot glue will melt the ink. I would suggest using either tabs or perhaps just putting a heavier drop of glue behind the "foot" area (the 5 "finger"-like parts that stick out) and letting that hold it down. It won't be a perfect snug fit, but it should be pretty close.

Hope that helps, and doesn't confuse you. :)

I don't have mine anymore (I traded it to Valkfan for some head sculpts) but if I remember correctly, I simply glued it with hot glue. If you use a laser-printed version though, be careful, as hot glue will melt the ink. I would suggest using either tabs or perhaps just putting a heavier drop of glue behind the "foot" area (the 5 "finger"-like parts that stick out) and letting that hold it down. It won't be a perfect snug fit, but it should be pretty close.

I don't think it was hot glue MR because as time has went on, the artwork has slowly peeled away from the backing and there's no glue to be found or discoloration to be found. I thought you had used some type of clear paper glue.

I don't think it was hot glue MR because as time has went on, the artwork has slowly peeled away from the backing and there's no glue to be found or discoloration to be found. I thought you had used some type of clear paper glue.

I can't remember exactly what I used where, but I used a mix of 3 types of adhesives.

Hot glue to hold the actual boards together, spray mount to spray the artwork onto the foam core, and rubber cement around the edges that pulled up on me (they always do over time). You could try getting a small bottle of rubber cement.

Not sure if everyone's used the stuff, but you brush it on both sides, let it get tacky and then stick them together. The good thing is, you can use a rubber cement eraser (or your hands, but it's toxic and not recommended for skin contact) to remove any excess.

Bummer it's coming apart, man. :-/ you can try the above method for corners, hopefully the whole thing isn't coming undone!

Sorry for not posting again, I read your advice and finished it up Sunday night. Took a few pics of the construction and the finished product. Next I'll work on making some "wallpaper" to line some shelves with.

I printed my artwork onto Epson Heavyweight Matte Photo paper. I scaled the originals to 45% so they could be printed onto 8.5x11" sheets without clipping. I used Krylon spray adhesive to mount the back, sides, and top to black presentation board. Then cut out the pieces already mounted. To reduce the bulky joints where the top, back and sides would meet I cut joints out on the top and back. This was kinda tedious but produced a decent result.

IMG_8100_edit.jpg

IMG_8101_edit.jpg

I folded the front first and then mounted it to the interior side pieces. Then mounted it to the exterior sides. I braced the interior sides with an additional piece of presentation board. This also added somewhere to mount the bottom panel of the center mainframe.

IMG_8102_edit.jpg

Other than the spray adhesive I used this stuff to put the whole thing together. I used a much more precise modeling cement applicator tip though. (not shown in the pic)

IMG_8104_edit.jpg

With Classics Prime. I will most likely use this with my Classics figures.

IMG_8108_edit.jpg

With G1 Prime

IMG_8110_edit.jpg

With MP Grimlock and G1 Wheeljack

IMG_8111_edit.jpg

And the Finished product. I used a fine point Staedler Orange pen to color the white edges of the paper at the joints.

Front

IMG_8115_edit.jpg

Angle

IMG_8116_edit.jpg

Side

IMG_8117_edit.jpg

Back Angle - Pic won't show up cause I posted too many...:redface

Thanks again for posting the templates. This was a fun project. I'll post more pics when I've got it set up with the background panels.

Oh, and can't wait to build a Nemesis since a lot of the figures I want to display this with are 'Cons :tfpwn

-G

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not posting again, I read your advice and finished it up Sunday night. Took a few pics of the construction and the finished product. Next I'll work on making some "wallpaper" to line some shelves with.

Looks great! And thanks for posting the pics! This is one of the better ones I've seen, too! Not to mention the photography's really crisp, which I suck at for some reason. :)

• 2 years later...

Wow, necropost! Haha. No worries.

It's not a true "render" because I didn't actually model it in 3D. It was a composited "render" in Photoshop, just to show what it looked like. So I never modeled it in the 3D modeling sense, sorry.

As to an update on the state of the Nemesis control panel that I showed earlier, I really haven't done much to it since my last post. Unfortunately, I lost my job (3 years ago, this has been awhile) and then I got a new job and have been basically swamped since then. I also grew disinterested in finishing it. Perhaps one day I'll hop back on it, as it was interesting and something I want to complete. I'll post updates when/if I get back to it.

Or, if someone wants the PSD to finish it on their own, feel free to contact me via PM and I can try sending it to you to finish. All I ask is that it's shared with the fandom, for free, and not used for profit.