Teletraan-I / Ark / Nemesis Display Panels!

Mandingo Rex

Amaro,

I sent you an e-mail with the correction in it. Seems that you're off a fold entirely!

It's amazing that it still worked being a fold off, but it still did. Took me a while to figure out the problem... That should fix your center console not fitting right and make the keyboards on the tops of the "desktop" area, instead of the back display wall.

For anyone still yet to assemble this, I do apologize if the instructions are a TAD confusing... not my intentions, but once you've been staring at this thing for over a month, it starts to all look too familiar to you and I can't even remove myself from it to see it from someone else's eyes... To me, it should fit together easily, but I can understand troubles people may have...

Use the 3D composite I did for reference, and make sure all the planes are matching up where they do in that layout. The folds are a tad tricky, but I tried to label them as clearly as possible with the space provided in the layouts.

Note that the inner and outer walls START fold is not the same line. (That is, if you start folding from the top folds down).

The 2 outer "wings" start slightly higher than the center fold, and will give you 2 different console heights. The center console's keyboard area should be lower than the outer console's keyboard height. From the side though, the outer console should seem to be offset from the inner but follow roughly the same angles.

I need to actually get this thing built myself so people have less confusion.

Hope it helps... and I didn't confuse anybody any more!

Okay, I can't leave well enough alone...

I'm currently working on a backside to Teletraan-I that is sized correctly and matches up with the side panels. It bothered me that it wasn't "complete" all the way around. I will absolutely not do a bottom, but it really does need a back that fits.

Also, a Nemesis-colored set of Ark plates is in the works as well... But all new designs. So it's not just a re-hashed Ark set. :)

Mandingo,

This work for a lack of a better word AWESOME. I am looking for some Nemisis photo's. Do you plan on making a Nemisis setup? I thought if you were working on it you might have some source material. I was thinking of getting some foam board from staples to glue this to. Do I need to print it out on poster board? I guess what I am asking do you have any tips for me now that you have put one together?

Trailbreaker,

Actually, I don't have ANY Nemesis references, other than memory and what I can find online of what the outside of the ship looks like. The designs on the interior paneling/plating is fairly the same as the Ark, I believe... (if I remember correctly) I'm just trying to make it seem a bit more "menacing" as I design the new walls. I'm only working on the wall plates so far, but I wanted to design new ones and not just color adjust the Ark ones to match. It's purple, but if anyone has any screengrabs to offer, that'd rock. I may get to the computer display, if there's one that I can find that's iconic or consistent enough. I just don't recall the Decepticons having a computer as memorable or consistent (and I use this loosely, seeing how T1 never looked the same twice) as Teletraan.

I sadly lost my G1 DVD collection with all my Transformers in my moving truck fire (with almost everything else, and about 500 other DVDs to boot) so I can't just watch the show yet to pull screen captures. I need to buy the series again, but I'm holding off in hopes that Hasbro will release a more official version Stateside in the next year, now that they bought the rights from Sunbow.

––––

AJ,

Yep, I'm well aware of the papercraft site, it's awesome stuff! If you check back a few pages, you'll see some cool G1 Ratchet/Ironhide papercraft models that I found linked through that site. They have some really sweet stuff on there, great designs!

Theirs are SUPER complicated (if you thought mine looked complicated, it's simple in comparison). I thought about submitting Teletraan-I, but since mine takes a bit more construction than just paper (meaning they don't really stand on their own) I'm not sure it meets their regular requirements as simple "paper" craft.

Mandingo,

I have the G1 series on DVD I will try and make some screen CAPS of the nemisis when I get some free time. Also I would like to have Ratchets repair table that was in the ark to add to what I have so far. Still working on Teletraan 1 lots of cutting will post pictures. One question though how do I get the computer screens recessed into teletraan 1? Where do I cut? What get removed?

Mandingo,

I have the G1 series on DVD I will try and make some screen CAPS of the nemisis when I get some free time. Also I would like to have Ratchets repair table that was in the ark to add to what I have so far. Still working on Teletraan 1 lots of cutting will post pictures. One question though how do I get the computer screens recessed into teletraan 1? Where do I cut? What get removed?

TB,

I wouldn't remove anything, just cut.

If you simply cut the "door" flaps in the middle, and cut along the top and bottom edges, (so it looks like a sideways H) then fold back the 2 flaps, then you can attach the inset pieces at the top and bottom. There are 2 folds in the inset piece, so if you attach the top and bottom edges, the folds should still be covered by the flaps. Part of this was laziness on my part to keep from having to measure all the angles, but it also lets you align it with a little wiggle room. If you feel free, cut the flaps to match up to your edges, but my plan was to just tape it from the backside where nobody will see it.

Hope that helps.

Awesome if you can get some screen captures from the DVDs, I'm trying to acquire a set off Craigslist (I live in the SF Bay area, so it's easier to get quality Japanese stuff on CL) and not dealing with eBay for this again. Trying not to spend more than $50 if I can help it.

I have a back plate for T1 now as well, hope to post it in the next day or so, if you're interested.

HERE'S THE BACK I PROMISED »

It's only in high-res format, but I figured people could scale it as they need it. I'm sure they'd want it high-res anyways.

It's sized to fit the "HIGH RES" folder download, but I didn't include it in the zip file. If anyone is downloading it from here, make sure you download the back file as well, if you want it. It was an extra 8MB, which is why I didn't include it.

And here's the first Nemesis plate:

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD THE NEMESIS PLATE »

I'll be adding more, but if anyone wants a new plate to color match the Ark plates to and jump the gun, go ahead and recolor the others.

Just to help you out, here's a Photoshop file with my exact adjustment layers. Just drag them to the Ark plates I made and they should recolor to match pretty close.

DOWNLOAD THE NEMESIS COLOR ADJUSTMENT PSD FILE »

You may want to desaturate them a bit, but at least this way you can get the same color until I'm done with the set.