Teletraan-I / Ark / Nemesis Display Panels!

Mandingo Rex

Working on them as we speak. I'm putting new instructions on the prints, and also making them on white with bleeds, so not so much ink gets wasted.

Didn't think about that the first time. Will have them posted by tomorrow at the latest with instructions.

Thanks for being patient. :)

THE DESIGN AND PRODUCTION FILES ARE OFFICIALLY TESTED AND DONE! I've printed them, tested assembled pieces and resized a few things. Here you go:

TELETRAAN-I HIGH RES PRINTABLE FILES » (File Size: 24.1 MB)

The center console NOW FITS! Everything else fit together fine the first time, I had to adjust some angles and size it down a tad on the part that fits around the keyboard area.

I made the background on white now, with a bleed so that edges weren't on white, but people weren't wasting ink to print the parts that would end up in the trash anyways. I also added instructions according to folds and cutting, and also assembly. Details such as where to cut, where not to, and where things go once you've cut everything out. Hopefully with these new instructions and the "Fully Assembled" version as reference, people should be able to make their own Teletraan.

I suggest mounting the face and any items that need to be folded onto thinner board, or print it directly on stiffer stock paper. For the walls that don't need folds, I would recommend using foam core board (cut with a very sharp X-Acto to prevent tearing) for the rigidity, and since it doesn't need to be folded, should give you a really sturdy structure. The front's folds should give it strength, and either tape or glue from the insides, depending on how you want to assemble this. I would have included tabs, but I figured people could make their own, since they need to be spray-mounted in some instances.

I didn't include a bottom, which isn't necessary at all, but if you're not sitting this against a wall, you can either use a black piece of foam core board for the back. Turn one of the Ark plates lengthwise and scale it to match your Teletraan, and use one of them for the back. It should be a rectangular back, so it shouldn't be too hard to fabricate your own if you deem it necessary to have a free-standing Teletraan.

Feedback and photos welcomed!

*If for some reason my site is down, check back soon. It may be that traffic swamps my site.

So are there any pictures of this thing completely finished and put onto board? I saw the photoshop image of what it should look like, I just want to see the real deal next to Prime or an Alternator.

Actually, no finished pics, the only one I assembled was a 40%-scale, really rough paper model. I can guarantee that everything lines up if cut out properly, although a little trimming may have to be done, depending on construction methods (and I mean slight trimming, if that). Depending on whether foam core is used, stock paper, etc.

MP Prime is roughly 12" tall, the final dimensions of the "high-res" files are 20" tall x 16" wide x 8" deep, at 200 dpi. So it should still be tall enough if you want it larger for Prime, or you can scale the file down to print it as well. Just make sure you scale all to the same proportion or things won't line up.

The original files ended up being about 70MB when flattened to JPGs, so I had to scale from 30" tall to 20" to save file size and make them more easily downloadable. If anyone wants the full 30" files, PM me, I'll have to give you my IM and send them over IM file transfer. The 20" files should work for the MPs and Alts though if printed at full scale. Teletraan WAS always pretty big in the cartoons. Check references online for scale with characters.

I plan on building one full-scale and properly in the next few weeks, I actually still have all my TFs unopened in their boxes, and don't have room right now for a display even. I just moved to California from NC and lost everything in a freak moving truck fire, so when I started this project a year agi, I actually had all my TFs at that point displayed on shelves in my home office. Luckily, I had my files on my laptop and not my backup drives.

If anyone else has assembled one, please post pics, I'm interested to see what folks are doing with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the files, you rock!

Here is a pic of my finished Teletran 1.

Mine came out a little different...I think I measured it wrong, but still awesome.

..And then I took your files and made me a G.I. Joe control room!

How cool is that?!

-amaro

www.joeamaro.net

post-4851-1213813017_thumb.jpg

post-4851-1213813023_thumb.jpg

post-4851-1213813035_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting! You beat me to making one, and I designed it!

Hmm, almost looks like the levels need to be increased, so that the darks are much darker? Or is the camera flash washing out the shot?

Seems that there's not enough contrast in the file (mine as the base file, and yours seemed to copy my error).

Or are me eyes playing tricks?

I'm still trying to get mine printed and built, haven't had ONE spare second in the last few weeks to tackle it. My nerd side projects are suffering, thanks, real job.

The contrast is okay, maybe making the edges where each panel stops or begins darker might be good.

You sorta did this on the middle section. Just to better define each plane and help us determine where the folds are. It might also help give the finished piece more definition, but that just nick picking. It's actually very well done.

You inspired me to try to make more dioramas!

Thanks again for sharing.