Teletraan-I / Ark / Nemesis Display Panels!

Mandingo Rex

:awsum

I don't know if it's been asked but is the artwork on each of the monitors your own as well? As with everything else absolutely breathtaking.

The screens are a mix of my own artwork for the techy parts, and digital graphics, but the artwork, I pulled from various sources online. Since I'm not selling these, I assume they're fine for public use. I do regret using Alex Milne's "Alternated Masterpiece" in one of the Ark plates (I made it duotone, but it's still all his work) so I may have to pull that down at some point. I didn't realize this would blow up like it did in popularity. Oops!

I have done my own artwork and am quite capable of pulling off that level of work I believe, I just opted not to since I already had so much more to tackle with the actual mainframe design. Plus the existing artwork just looks SO GOOD.

The charts and graphs are pulled from online tech-ish charts just for filler, I deleted most text and replaced it with "Ancient Autobot" gibberish (font available for free online) simply because I didn't feel like BSing 50 small screens full of information. There are a few comic shots, but they are very small. Hopefully nobody minds, it was never any intent to rip off work for profit... Since I'm not selling these, it's more or less for the community to enjoy.

Any work that I did use, I used it because it was awesome and worked well for what I was looking for, for the specific use. I think it falls under "Public Domain" or "Art Expression", but I'm not 100% sure. Anyways, please nobody be mad if I inserted your work. :)

I didn't expect this to end up on Seibertron (not that it's a bad thing, just caught me off guard), so I added temporary higher-res files, with color corrections made so that they match the Ark panels better.

So nobody's downloading the old, smaller files and using them.

Keep checking this thread, I'll post an updated final file set, and clean up my site and the posts' links so nobody's using the smaller outdated versions.

TEMPORARY MID-RESOLUTION FILES »

I didn't expect this to end up on Seibertron (not that it's a bad thing, just caught me off guard), so I added temporary higher-res files, with color corrections made so that they match the Ark panels better.

Keep checking this thread, I'll post an updated final file set, and clean up my site and the posts' links so nobody's using the smaller outdated versions.

Looks really cool.

My one twist would be to print the screens on transparency paper to make them jump out a bit more, maybe with a foil background.

It would be nifty to have the screen placement on the fold model for people who want to do that (or who want to go one step further and make the screens illuminated).

I don't think I'd mess with the illumination thing... But I MIGHT be tempted to make them illuminated from a backlight, ala the way many TF's eyes light up.

TEMPORARY MID-RESOLUTION FILES »

Looks really cool.

My one twist would be to print the screens on transparency paper to make them jump out a bit more, maybe with a foil background.

It would be nifty to have the screen placement on the fold model for people who want to do that (or who want to go one step further and make the screens illuminated).

I don't think I'd mess with the illumination thing... But I MIGHT be tempted to make them illuminated from a backlight, ala the way many TF's eyes light up.

... Y'Know, I take it all back. Illumination would be barely worth it considering the option there are nowaways for keychain picture storage and digital picture frames.

My inner overacheiver wishes I had the spare cash to get those digital picture frames for all the panels. I've seen keychain sized ones for around $15 and I think you can actually get ones that display short video for around $60 or so.

How awesome would that be to see this thing with rotating caches of images, illumination and video on the main screen? (Though for that, you really want a nice video editing suite.)

It would be cheaper than a Botcon exclusive set to put the whole thing together though and IMHO much cooler. Could you imagine this thing with Optimus vs. Megatron from Transformers the Movie playing in a cycle on the viewscreen?

Gar!

So I did a paper test, and everything folds together just fine.

There's one small problem that I was afraid of though, and it's not too complicated but I was hoping it would line up, and it just didn't.

The center console that has the pronged display screen is too deep. At least the bottom half is, the top portion may end up all right. The individual pieces all fit together along the folds, it's when you assemble the small piece to the larger that they don't fit at all.

It's just way too deep to fit on the top of the dash, so that it hangs off and doesn't look right.

Now, if people are hasty (like I usually am), they can go ahead and assemble the entire thing, and leave off the pronged part, or attach the scanner part and omit the lower pronged part. It will fit just fine. Of course, I'm not happy with it, so I need to retool the design slightly so it all fits properly. The rest all fit together fine on the paper model I just assembled, and I'm sure having stronger backing will make it all fit perfectly. All the lines line up, it just needs stiffer board to hold its weight.

So I need to edit the design file for the center console, I'll try and get that done tomorrow, but everything fits fine except for that, so I'll go ahead and give my production seal of approval for folks to start assembling it if they want.

I definitely recommend mounting it to presentation board, sturdy foam core (the black presentation kind, not the cheap Michael's white kind), or cardboard.

Some edges may need slight angles tweaked, depending on what method you use to mount it... But if you cut on the outermost edges, and stick to the linework, everything should match up almost perfectly. You should be able to tell the folds, but use the reference "Assembled" file for reference.

I definitely recommend mounting it to presentation board, sturdy foam core (the black presentation kind, not the cheap Michael's white kind), or cardboard.

Some edges may need slight angles tweaked, depending on what method you use to mount it... But if you cut on the outermost edges, and stick to the linework, everything should match up almost perfectly. You should be able to tell the folds, but use the reference "Assembled" file for reference.

Have you ever used matte board? (The matte sheets used for framing pictures.)

It's what theatrical stage designers use for their model sets.

Foam core can tend to produce jagged edges when cut. Might not be bad for extra support underneath but matte board will make for sharper, better defined edges. Just be sure to trace your cuts lightly with the razor and don't go too fast.

BTW, I'm CONSIDERING papering a 3 foot tall, 3 shelf bookshelf with these designs and making an Ark playset/display for my Classics.

Just need to make space so it may be awhile.

This is incredible! Makes me wish i knew how to use my computer a bit better. Ah well, I can alwasy just stare at the screen and dream. Might have found something that I may be too old to try. Thanks for sharing your talent!

Good news guys, I revised the center console, and it fits much better now.

I had to scale it down as well, but it fits much more comfortably and I actually squeezed in a few more folds too.

I'm adding directions/notes on the designs, but will post shortly.

:)

Do you have anything along the lines of assembly instructions for some of the pieces. I'm confused as to where some of them are supposed to go. I know about the main console, but not everything else.