Premium Barricade & Jazz: not worth it

Pascal

I saw Premium Jazz and Premium Barricade in person tonight at my local hobby store and they're really disapointing. Barricade looks HORRIBLE. The painted windows are fugly, it totally ruins the figure. I don't even think they're see-through anymore. A complete disaster.

As for Jazz, he doesn't have painted windows (thank God), but the silver paint looks terribly cheap. Looks like a custom job with a spray can of silver paint. I was expecting something much nicer. If anything, the grey of the original version is closer to what we see on the real car, plus it has some naturally sparkle to it.

Anyway, that'S why I ended up picking up Stealth Bumblebee instead of Premium Bumblebee: I just feared stupid paint apps like on Barricade. Plus, the black/blue Allspark Power figures look really nice together (BB, Arcee, Stockade, Overcast, Incinerator).

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I wasn't super impressed with the paint job on the Premium Ironhide I saw, it was a bit sloppy, and I felt that a $3 set of reprolabels on the original figure was probably a better way to go to capture any missing details (plus like with Barricade, the windows were better on the first release).

Really, of the Premium figures, I'd say that Best Buy Megatron was the best executed, followed by Target Prime and BB Rachet. It seems with the rest there is the need to make other changes that seem a bit wonky (going to the light grey plastic with Blackout, etc.) - I also bet part of the problem may lie in the fact that these figures were intended to be as first released, so adding a step where new paint applications are required just wasn't in the original design and engineering plans for their production - and I think it shows.

However, I will pick up Target Starscream, as I like that figure, but the tan plastic used for the original release was an odd choice - I may also get Premium Bee too, but it depends on how sloppy the yellow looks in person (from my experience, yellow paint and toys is often the worse combination - and I've noticed that most of the Concept Bees have pretty sloppy paint apps on their doors).

I got Premium Megatron on Friday at Target.

I'm loving him. He looks so much better than the first release (which I also have). There are even rust spots in a few places. His eyes even have some paint, though it's hard to notice unless you look from the correct angle).

The Premium Ironhide, Bee, Prime are the ones that hold the most interest. Blackout was pretty movie accurate already and fixed him up with some stickers from Reprolabels.

As for Jazz and Barricade, meh. Painted windows don't bug me so much as it does others. I mean, if there's detail like little seats and a steering wheel, then yeah, painted window would piss me off, but if there's nothing to show except kibble (or nothing at all), then painted windows are not a problem. I have yet to see any of the other's in person.

I did however take the spring from my old Leader Megatron's cannon and put it in the flail hand of Premium Megatron, so now both his arm weapons have spring functions.

I don't like the copper paint apps on Premium Megatron (on the wings). Enough with the battle damage shot, it always looks like crap. Gimme nice and clean figures.

I don't like the copper paint apps on Premium Megatron (on the wings). Enough with the battle damage shot, it always looks like crap. Gimme nice and clean figures.

Well, considering Megatron looked this way in the movie, it was a good choice. However I did notice on Saturday that there was a stress mark on one of his chest plates and they all don't close correctly when I transform him (may have just been this particular one). I may swap him for another Premium Megs.

I did however get Premium Jazz cause the one I saw didn't look bad. Good points and bad points:

Good:

Painted rear window, tail/reverse lights, painted feet, painted rear end of the car to match up with the vehicle, and other little paint job improvements.

Bad:

Spoiler won't fold all the way up w/o a little push, mouth could have been redone but wasn't.

So for me, the good points far outweigh the bad. I may get the sticker set from Reprolabels and give him a truly ultimate movie look (Pontiac/Solstice tags and license plate).

Considering this, I'm not so turned off to possibly acquiring Barricade. Again, in regards to that, painted windows don't bug me, and the ones I saw on Barricade looked pretty cool. (I would have gotten both but I didn't have enough at the moment).

And, I just ordered Premium Prime from HTS a few minutes ago.

Premium Prime was cool, enough changes and what not to make it worth it. Megs, I like, particularly more so than the original..But, I had thought he would be more silver, and not, again, just more colored plastic. I saw they tried to add some wash like damage effect all over him, and it looks ok. I actually liked the Ironhide so far the most..Just his new over all glossy look, and more decals, nice touch. The Blackout was great too..Being darker, although his battle damaged paint scarring looks awful. But it was nice to see the 4500 on there. I kinda want the Jazz, and definitely want the Bumblebee..As for Barricade, I'll have to see him in hand to see if I want him.

• 2 weeks later...
I saw Premium Jazz and Premium Barricade in person tonight at my local hobby store and they're really disapointing. Barricade looks HORRIBLE. The painted windows are fugly, it totally ruins the figure. I don't even think they're see-through anymore. A complete disaster.

As for Jazz, he doesn't have painted windows (thank God), but the silver paint looks terribly cheap. Looks like a custom job with a spray can of silver paint. I was expecting something much nicer. If anything, the grey of the original version is closer to the close of the real car, plus it has some naturally sparkle to it.

I finally saw these guys in the store yesterday and agree 100% - both were total passes.

Barricade's car body panels weren't even painted, I'd say the reprolabels on the original toy results in a better looking 'bot. And Jazz's paintjob was terrible - a thick, gloopy semi-gloss silver paint that was totally scratched up...

Premium?

It's a series movie toy redecos with what were supposed to be superior paint applications, which in practice, have been a bit hit or miss.

They include:

1. Target exclusive Robovision (Voyager class) Prime - ligher blue molded plastic, silver finish limbs

2. Best Buy exclusive (Voyager class) Megatron - silver finish similar to Cybertron Galvatron

3. Best Buy exclusive Rachet - metallic green paint on truck body panels, some robot bits that were green plastic are now black

4. wide release Premium Blackout - weathered paint job with details such as "4500X" on the tails, black robot limbs are now grey/beige; nicely painted mini-Scorponok

5. wide release Premium Ironhide - black paint job, more truck detail paint apps, giant (movie inakkurate) Autobot logo on hood, some robot bits that were black plastic are now grey

6-7. wide release Premium Barricade and Jazz (as discussed in this thread)

8. wide release Premium Leader Prime - new head and swordy flip out weapon - I for get how the paint apps are supposed to be different

9. wide release Premium Leader Megatron - uses a dirty gunmetal metalized plastic instead of the light grey of the original

10. wide release Premium Concept Bee - new head, more accurate pin-stripes, supposed to be completely painted with a metallic finish paint (he's not out yet)

11. Target exclusive Deep Space Starscream - metallic finish plastic and paints with more accurate Air Force squadron markings (also not out yet)

Of the ones I've seen in person (which, at this point, excludes Leader Prime, Premium Bee and Deep Space Starscream), I'd say that Robovison Prime, Best Buy Megatron and Rachet are much better than the "standard" releases. Leader Megatron is pretty good, Ironhide and Blackout aren't too bad (but the originals with Reprolabels will probably look better to some). Barricade and Jazz are lame - I'd say that the originals with Reprolabels would look much better.

Like I mentioned before, I think why the Premium figures ended up kind of hit and miss is that they were designed to be produced as originally released, so adding a step where new paint applications are required just wasn't in the original design and engineering plans for their production - and I think it shows (e.g. Premium Ironhide's formerly translucent plastic windows are for some reason now painted over - I'd be willing to bet that this is the result of cramming in a step where formerly unpainted bare plastic body panels in the original now need to be painted over with the "Premium" finish).

I got Premium Megatron on Friday at Target.

I'm loving him. He looks so much better than the first release (which I also have). There are even rust spots in a few places. His eyes even have some paint, though it's hard to notice unless you look from the correct angle).

The Premium Ironhide, Bee, Prime are the ones that hold the most interest. Blackout was pretty movie accurate already and fixed him up with some stickers from Reprolabels.

As for Jazz and Barricade, meh. Painted windows don't bug me so much as it does others. I mean, if there's detail like little seats and a steering wheel, then yeah, painted window would piss me off, but if there's nothing to show except kibble (or nothing at all), then painted windows are not a problem. I have yet to see any of the other's in person.

I did however take the spring from my old Leader Megatron's cannon and put it in the flail hand of Premium Megatron, so now both his arm weapons have spring functions.

i got the premium megs too and i feel the same way about him.

Archived