Help!... Which PM Prime/God Ginrai is this?

thievesinthetemple

I just acquired a random assortment of figs on eBay from someone who, as it turns out, was not the original owner and knows nothing about them. One of the figures was the cab to a Powermaster Prime or God Ginrai... but I don't know which, and reissues of each don't help much. The diecast cab tells me it's not a 1988 PM Prime, and I stuck it next to my reissue God Ginrai for comparison's sake. Aside from a very slight variation of red, the only real difference I could find was in the smokestacks, which I've included pictures of below.

I don't have an original God Ginrai or a TRU Powermaster Prime to compare it to. Does anyone have any idea which version this mystery figure is? I appreciate any help you guys can offer a newcomer!

PMPrimes.jpg

PMPrimesCLOSEUP.jpg

Uh, I'm not seeing any difference in the two..Except one has thigh stickers and the other doesn't. I thought the chrome was added on later to the reissue? You may just have 2 of the same reissue versions there.

Uh, I'm not seeing any difference in the two..Except one has thigh stickers and the other doesn't. I thought the chrome was added on later to the reissue? You may just have 2 of the same reissue versions there.

My God Ginrai reissue did come with thigh stickers...I just never put them on.

If you look at the smokestacks in the second pic, the tip of the GG reissue stack is just a bit taller than the "mystery" figure's stack. And it might be my eyes playing tricks on me, but the GG reissue stack tip also looks ever so slightly thinner than the unknown figure in question.

PM Prime....I loved to hate him as a kid or did I hate to love him??

I'd say your "mystery" one is the US Commemorative Series version, judging by the smokestack.

I'm inclined to agree with both of you - my gut tells me it's the US reissue. The detail-oriented nitpicker that I am, I just want to know for sure what it is I have here. Can anyone confirm with certainty that this is the Commemorative Series reissue?

I appreciate it, guys. Thanks to all who have looked and commented so far...

This thread has actually been useful for me as well. :)

A year or two ago, I bought a loose GodGinrai/ApexPrime from someone here on the boards. Wasn't sure there was actually a difference, so a friend gave me an empty japanese Reissue God Ginrai box for me to put it in. Mine has similar smokestacks to the "Mystery Prime/Ginrai" here, and since the seller I got mine from was from the US, I was guessing that it was most likely the US Commemorative (Apex) Powermaster Prime...

*EDIT* I just double-checked: my cab does have smokestacks like the Mystery one here, but the instructions included with my loose figure was of Reissue God Ginrai. While that might not really be indicative of anything, but now it's likely that the one I have is a Reissue God Ginrai... But then I'm confused. Why would your Reissue God Ginrai have different smokestacks from mine, unless mine wasn't really a Reissue God Ginrai?...

This thread has actually been useful for me as well. :)

A year or two ago, I bought a loose GodGinrai/ApexPrime from someone here on the boards. Wasn't sure there was actually a difference, so a friend gave me an empty japanese Reissue God Ginrai box for me to put it in. Mine has similar smokestacks to the "Mystery Prime/Ginrai" here, and since the seller I got mine from was from the US, I was guessing that it was most likely the US Commemorative (Apex) Powermaster Prime...

*EDIT* I just double-checked: my cab does have smokestacks like the Mystery one here, but the instructions included with my loose figure was of Reissue God Ginrai. While that might not really be indicative of anything, but now it's likely that the one I have is a Reissue God Ginrai... But then I'm confused. Why would your Reissue God Ginrai have different smokestacks from mine, unless mine wasn't really a Reissue God Ginrai?...

The only thing I can say with certainty (for both of our benefits) is that my God Ginrai reissue - the one in the photos - is indeed the Japanese reissue from a few years ago. My wife bought it for me from BBTS and I was the first one to cut the tape and take him out, so if you take that element of doubt out of the equation, it sounds like you're in the same exact boat I am. The worse-case scenario would be that Takara tweaked the mold in mid-production (very doubtful), in which case we might as well just give up hope of ever finding out.

My "mystery figure" looks as new as my reissue God Ginrai (he doesn't look 20 years old), which is why I strongly suspect he's the US reissue. I'm just hoping to find someone that has that figure that can hold it next to my pics and say "yes" or "no" with certainty.

So long as you know that your figure is in fact a reissue from recent years and not a vintage figure, I think you can safely assume that it's a TRU Commemorative PM Prime. Maybe whoever you bought it from had a bunch of figures and paperwork laying around and simply got confused (like we are right now)... Anyway, thanks for checking... glad I could help.

I have reissue God Ginrai and I have Powermaster Prime and I can tell you that it's not Powermaster Prime. So by process of elimination I'm inclined to agree that it could be Apex Armour Prime.

Archived