Is this a genuine Diaclone Starscream?

A few months ago I picked up what appeared to be an excellent condition, mostly complete Diaclone Starscream at a flea market. The woman there didn't seem to know much about Diaclones, and said she bought it at an estate sale. Anyway, I grabbed him (for $18) and then did a little research online after the fact. What's killing me is that all signs point to it being the real thing, BUT...there is no date stamp on him anywhere. I've posted some pics below... can anyone shed some light? Is he the real deal or not? Any help would be most appreciated.

100_2836.jpg

100_2840.jpg

100_2843.jpg

100_2844.jpg

100_2845.jpg

100_2846.jpg

100_2847.jpg

100_2850.jpg

100_2848.jpg

Isnt there a stamping? Like TAKARA somewhere on Starscream? oh wait haha you said there isnt a date stamp. But there are no takara stamps? It could be one of the really good KO from taiwan or china (early 90s)

No stamping whatsoever. But everything else about him looks pretty legit, including the pilot, the unridged canopy, the stickers and the hard plastic nosecone. If it's a fake, they certainly went the extra mile.

Incidentally, I haven't come across too much info about early '90's KO Seekers in my "research" on Diaclones and such. Got any idea where I could read more about that particular group/era?

If it says Kingdam on the wings (within the red stripe) its a knockoff. The diaclone version actually said diaclone (within the red stripe)on the wings. But yah the Kingdam knock off is almost spot on to the real thing

Since the one I have says DIACLONE on the wings, would that make it genuine without a doubt, or were there bootleggers who also stamped DIACLONE (as opposed to KINGDAM or anything else) onto the wings?

Kingdam Starscream has different plastic color than the Diaclone one. the Diaclone one should match a G1 Starscream. FYI sometimes the seekers came with their date stamps on the inside of the legs, not the outside. One of these day's I'll dig up my Kingdam Starscream and do a comparison.

Kingdam Starscream has different plastic color than the Diaclone one. the Diaclone one should match a G1 Starscream. FYI sometimes the seekers came with their date stamps on the inside of the legs, not the outside. One of these day's I'll dig up my Kingdam Starscream and do a comparison.

This seeker matches G1 Starscream; my bad for not comparing the two in my photos. Oh, and I checked the insides of the legs... still no datestamp to be found...

sigh.... :redface

You know Tripredacus,

I don't want to come across as a dick, but everytime I see one of your posts "sharing info" I roll my eyes because most of it is either partily true, inaccurate, or smug comments that do not come across well like "it's GIG not GIGI". I understand you are only trying to help out which is a good thing, but if you don't know 100% then it is best to not say anything, or say up front that you are not sure. If I'm not sure about something, I'll either get the toy in question, or do enough research until I know for sure. Otherwise, I won't comment. I really try not to rant since I hate reading everyone else and their mother ranting (leading to flames) but it's because of misinformation that makes things that much harder to sort out. Especially for the newbies.

Anyhow, back to the topic,

Yes it is a Diaclone starscream. The Japanese Jet (not joustra) Diaclones had no manufacture or date stamps. They were not added until AFTER they were released in TF packaging. Yes, it is possible to find a TF jet without copyright info, but it is very rare or htcb.

The stamping is ALWAYS on the outside. If the stamping is on the inside, it is because it was swaped.

Thanks. -Himawari

Yes it is a Diaclone starscream. The Japanese Jet (not joustra) Diaclones had no manufacture or date stamps. They were not added until AFTER they were released in TF packaging. Yes, it is possible to find a TF jet without copyright info, but it is very rare or htcb.

The stamping is ALWAYS on the outside. If the stamping is on the inside, it is because it was swaped.

Thanks. -Himawari

Appreciate it, thanks!

sigh.... :redface

You know Tripredacus,

I don't want to come across as a dick, but everytime I see one of your posts "sharing info" I roll my eyes because most of it is either partily true, inaccurate, or smug comments that do not come across well like "it's GIG not GIGI". I understand you are only trying to help out which is a good thing, but if you don't know 100% then it is best to not say anything, or say up front that you are not sure. If I'm not sure about something, I'll either get the toy in question, or do enough research until I know for sure. Otherwise, I won't comment. I really try not to rant since I hate reading everyone else and their mother ranting (leading to flames) but it's because of misinformation that makes things that much harder to sort out. Especially for the newbies.

Thanks, Himawari. What part of my response was inadequate? Should not G1 Starscream have the same plastic color as Diaclone Starscream? It is no lie that some Diaclone Starscream toys got repackaged in the 1984 G1 releases. I personally know that Kingdam Starscream is a lot different from G1 Starscream. I own two of each.

Archived