JizaiToys PowerGlide

pathfinder74

I work in the design field so please don't preach costs to me, I know what it takes, and with modern computer design and rapid prototyping, it takes very little; unless you take into consideration the amount of money that had to be spent on the equipment to produce them. These are most likely made on a machine just like THIS LINK keeping production numbers small because of the time required to produce a single item.

I'm still waiting for a response to this. Just to the JizaiToys website, you can see pics of their ultrasonic cleaner that knocks all of the support material off of the production material.

I would imagine they use the rapid prototyping/CLS machine to make the initial pieces then make molds from those pieces. The amount of time it would take to produce the amount of models they seem to make would take forever. My brother in law had a RP machine is while it made some awesome stuff... you couldn't make the stuff that Jizaitoys seem to be like... unless you have a really high end machine. Some actually make usable parts for machinery... so there are various levels of quality in those machines. I don't know if the ones in that link is the one used to make these customs or not...

If they took the time, effort and money to produce molds these would bee mass produced. A RP machine will set you back $30-100k depending on how large/fast/ect.... A decent injection mold set-up not only requires far more equipment and space, but at least a good $100k investment just to make the molds (presuming that these require more than one mold, which I think is kind of obvious). And again, you can see on their site that the concepts are draw, scratch built, then created in 3D for machine purposes.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they took the time, effort and money to produce molds these would bee mass produced. A RP machine will set you back $30-100k depending on how large/fast/ect.... A decent injection mold set-up not only requires far more equipment and space, but at least a good $100k investment just to make the molds (presuming that these require more than one mold, which I think is kind of obvious). And again, you can see on their site that the concepts are draw, scratch built, then created in 3D for machine purposes.

Good point...but it is possible to do this completely manually. For around $300 you can set yourself up to make rubber molds, a hardcoat to create a 2 - 4 part process mold and a plastic or resin to produce the dups.

I have a friend who did this with a ceramics project. He created a total of 10 -15 products of a mold about the size of a voyager class. It does not take much time to produce, only the prep time as you must be on top of things before the solutions set. Drying time is minimal and you can get at least 100 productions out of a single mold.

This should help with the on going argument:

http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/default.cfm?pa...8A85C51782405B1

It is related to all properties (not just GI JOE) and is Hasbro's official stance (PERIOD)

... the bottom line is Hasbro makes crap.

This statement= :fail

So if someone like this JizaiToys guy does all the amazing work it's not a Transformer... but if Hasbro bought it and put their name on it, that makes it a Transformer? That's brilliant logic.

No, as Hot Rod said, it's fact.

Hasbro is a company. Transformers are the artistic creations that Hasbro milks by making crap and selling it... and putting their branding on.

:lol

Transformers is a brand created and owned jointly between Hasbro and Takara Tomy. This brand includes all the characters, likenesses, logos, and names associated with Transformers. Transformers isn't something that Hasbro latched itself onto while milking it for all it's worth. If you believe that it was "big bad Hasbro" who came along and latched itself to the Transformers brand to milk it then you're delusional.

Transformers is a brand created by Hasbro and TT. They developed the characters, designs, fiction, names, logos, and toys. The "brand" Transformers belongs to Hasbro and TT because they are the ones who created it.

If anyone's milking off or leaching off of the TF brand, it's JizaiToys.

It's not a knockoff of the Hasbro mold... it's got almost nothing in common with that piece of crap. It's a dead-on accurate model/toy version of the cartoon character.

Well lets see.....

If you're comparing this figure to HasTak's G1 Powerglide, then you're being unfair to HasTak. The G1 Powerglide figure was made during the mid 80's. This figure was made in 2008. Of course the modern figure's going to compare favourably to the 20+ year old figure.

If you're comparing this figure to Hasbro's Classics/Universe Powerglide, then sorry, you're wrong. Well you're not "wrong," that's a matter of opinion. I would say, however, that Hasbro's modern reimagining of the Powerglide figure, while being an official product, is also superior to a slavish G1 copy.

It's infringing on a greedy company's legal license... for toys that they can't accurately reproduce and therefore sell substandard crap...

Wow, did Aaron Archer kick your puppy or something?

Anyway JizaiToys is infringing on a the intellectual property of the creators of the Transformers brand. Hasbro created and owns the brand, along with TT. JizaiToys is leaching off of that brand's popularity by producing figures of characters from that brand without any sort of licence from the creators of the brand.

Again, what are we talking about here?

The G1 Powerglide toy was made during the mid 80's. Limitations in production technology limited the overall show-accuracy of the figure. All things considered, the G1 Powerglide toy was pretty good for it's time.

The Classics/Universe Powerglide toy is mean to be a modern reimagined version of the figure, not a slavish G1 reproduction. In that sense Hasbro succeeded.

Meanwhile, there are a small number of people who are willing to put the time in to create something that is a true testament to the original design. Damn them. Damn them counterfeiters all to hell.

Yes. Damn them for breaking the law just so they could cash in on a brand they didn't create or develop.

And FTR Hasbro and TT have been very good to us regarding accurate figures of G1 characters. Did you sleep through the Classics line? Or the numerous G1 homages through A/E/C?

Look, I'm peeved Hasbro hasn't given us a decent Ironhide/Ratchet figure/homage either. That's no excuse to crucify Hasbro with your fan angst rage though.

Chances are we'll probably get at least a Classics/Universe Ironhide before the Universe line calls it quits, so take a chill pill, head to the corner, and relax.

So doing it right is mega ghey... but doing it the way Hasbro does (quick, cheap, and sloppy)...

Again, this statement= :fail

Doing it illegally is "ghey." Cashing in on someone else's brand without their permission is "ghey."

The vast majority of what Hasbro does is decent and well put together at least. Fans like you only notice the screw-ups and magnify them.

Blotting on a guy for taking what is more than likely >10x more time and effort than the modelers at Hasbro is insane.

No, I'm Blotting on JizaiToys for leeching off of a property they didn't create.

And how would you know how much effort Hasbro puts into the production of a figure?

Furthermore, do you own one of these JizaiToys figures? If you don't how can you claim they're of a higher quality then officially licenced products from HasTak?

Transformers is just a brand name... that Hasbro has been successful in milking for almost 25 years. Kudos to them. And I hope someday they will reward the fandom community for their endless devotion to buying what amounts to crap by producing something that matches the quality of these "knockoffs"... but I won't hold my breath.

For the love G-d, Hasbro and TT CREATED the damn brand. And they have rewarded the fandom, more so then they are required to given how little we make up of their market.

We've gotten endless reissues and Encores, the Alternators/BT line, the Ti line, the Classics/Universe line, and the MP line, all of which were and are aimed at collectors.

That doesn't even take into account the numerous G1 homages we get in the various main lines. Both Hasbro and TT have been very good to the fans. It's the fans that should show some gratitude every now and then.

I will give them credit for having improved the quality of their toys over the years... but if you don't see the awesomeness of this Powerglide "knockoff model" you're probably blind.

Well aside from the illegal nature of the figure, I will say it is a very good representation of the G1 Powerglide character. Very good indeed. Just not $200-500 good. I wouldn't pay more then $25 for one of these.

Bottom line? Lay off the Hasbro hate. If it weren't for them we wouldn't have Transformers at all. And they've been more then good to us collectors, considering we only make up 20% of their market at most.

The Classics/Universe Powerglide toy is mean to be a modern reimagined version of the figure, not a slavish G1 reproduction. In that sense Hasbro succeeded.

And this one succeeds at being a spot-on representation of the animated G1 version, something a lot of fans are after.

And this one succeeds at being a spot-on representation of the animated G1 version, something a lot of fans are after.

I never said it wasn't.

I've already said it's a great figure. It's worth noting, however, that....

1) It's a figure based off of a character created and developed by Hasbro and TT. Therefore it infringes on HasTak's intellectual property.

2) While it's a great figure it's not $200-500 great. $25, maybe.

3) To condemn Hasbro because their G1 Powerglide figure wasn't 100% show accurate is lame, at best.

Try to produce something as detailed and limited by yourself and to sell it for only $25 while still making a decent profit after all the money and time invested. Good luck with that. Using your way of thinking, I declare that all Armada toys should have sold for 10 cents each at best since I consider them to be crap (except Unicron, which is probably worth a good $5). :)

3) To condemn Hasbro because their G1 Powerglide figure wasn't 100% show accurate is lame, at best.

I don't "condemn" Hasbro. I just made an observation. Their G1 Powerglide is not a good figure by today's standards.

Try to produce something as detailed and limited by yourself and sell it only $25 while still making a decent profit after all the money and time invested. Good luck with that.

Hey, that's their problem, not mine. I'm content to wait to for the Universe/Classics Powerglide figure.

If they want to spend the time, resources, and money to create a figure of a character they don't own the rights to, then sell it at ungodly prices, that's their business.

Also, I doubt there are hoards of fans demanding a G1 accurate Powerglide figure.

I don't "condemn" Hasbro. I just made an observation. Their G1 Powerglide is not a good figure by today's standards.

I didn't say you were, I was referring to Pathfinder.

He was condemning Hasbro for their G1 Powerglide figure not being show accurate.

I admit that the G1 Powerglide toy is poor by today's standards, but it was decent by the standards of the mid 80's.

Furthermore, to condemn Hasbro, as Pathfinder was/is doing, because their G1 Powerglide figure from 20 years ago doesn't measure up to a high end custom made in 2008 is epic :fail

Of course a modern figure is going to beat a figure from the 80's.

Archived